#1 wmoater

wmoater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Sled:2015-1200 gade x/ 2010-600 TNT

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:50 AM

I know this is not the time of year to be thinking about this but need a bit of input. My wife has to have all her vacation submitted  by April 1st. I was thinking of taking 7 days this summer and see what Michigan and the UP look like in the summer. Seen it many many times in the winter but lets try it in the summer on the spyder instead of the sleds. I have each day planned and routed accept one or two. Basically I am going to do loops in the NLP, One loop in iggy, one loop in Grande, one in Houghton, and so forth. I will have the toy hauler so run the loop, sleep and then move or move then sleep depending on the camping. I have never been out to Mackinaw island.

Here is a route for one day.I will have the toyhauler so park down by Bay View area and run the tunnel of trees up the west side of michigan. Then keep running around the shoreline to Mackinaw city. See the fort, then lighthouse and then to chaboygan on the east shoreline. Cut back and go between Burt and Mullett lake and back west to Bay view. It is only 106 miles. When we do these types of rides I figure 40 miles an hour and add 2 for site seeing and lunch. So that is about 5 hours. I figured start out early on a Monday less traffic in mid July I am guessing. That is one loop. But depending on the answer about Mackinaw island I might want to station at Machinaw city run this same loop then cross the bridge and station in Iggy for 2 days. One for the island and one for a loop towards paradise, newberry down to 2 and back. 

Is it worth getting on the ferry and jumping over to Mackinaw island? Is it worth taking the spyder over there and is there places to ride or is it mainly walking? Is their a ferry from Mackinaw city or only from Iggy? Is mackinaw island an entire day by the time you load up on ferry, cross, ride, walk, load ferry, cross back? 

Just trying to plan out our camping spots and station (starting) points

Sorry to be asking about summer plans during the prime sledding season!

Moater

#2 wmoater

wmoater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:16 AM

Ok I see there is no cars or motorcycles, So that answers that first question. I found a ferry from both Iggy and MC so that answers that! How much time to make it worth while should I plan? We’d probably rent a bike and ride over to aches for sure or the entire 58 around the outside and simply walk down town looking in the shops. Input on is it even worth it?

#3 ntjordan

ntjordan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1983 posts
  • Sled:17 900A, 16 900A, 13 1200, 13 600A

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:40 AM

Ok I see there is no cars or motorcycles, So that answers that first question. I found a ferry from both Iggy and MC so that answers that! How much time to make it worth while should I plan? We’d probably rent a bike and ride over to aches for sure or the entire 58 around the outside and simply walk down town looking in the shops. Input on is it even worth it?

I can't answer that part, the island is more like a big historical museum with a lot of souvenir shops. If you enjoy that sort of thing then you will like it. If you're coming to the UP anyway take the ferry from the St. Ignace side, it's less busy and a quicker trip. I'd suggest mid week if possible, the weekends can be very crowded. If you know ahead of time what day you're going check for tickets online, it will save you a few dollars.

#4 wmoater

wmoater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:14 AM

From what I have found in the last hour I can start at Bayview like I originally said. Run the tunnel of the trees, that gets me to Mackinaw City early 11:00 AM. I can tour colonial, old Mac lite house and Fort for $29 a person. That will get me to late afternoon . Then finish the route to chaboygan back between the lakes and to Bayview.  Load spyder and drive across bridge and park in Iggy. I am starting to see what you said NT. If we are seeing the fort, 3 lighthouses that day why jump over to see same things again on Mac island. Plus the trip to Mackinaw island is WAY more expensive by the time you pay for the ferry, tours, rent bikes and food. It will be like a $150 day and never tough the spyder. I’d rather run the spyder towards Paradise up H63 to the lake to paradise, see the lighthouse up there and circle back through Newberry down towards RT2 and back to Iggy. Next day load spyder and head towards GM run all the park, Picture Rocks, falls and lighthouses and move on West. The next day. 

Edited by wmoater, 20 February 2020 - 11:15 AM.

#5 wmoater

wmoater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:44 AM

Here are the first 3 days mapped out. I know where all the falls and lighthouses are so that’s not a problem. We will hit all of them. I know where all the gas stations are. Any changes or recommendations on route (road) changes. I want to stay off 75 and run “hardpack” back back roads. I am running a spyder RT Mileage is shown also. None of them are really that large. Any suggestions on road changes to make it better?

Attached Images

• 11EFAD4A-136A-43FE-A8FB-1F917F111144.jpeg
  • 7B9CB8F3-FE20-4092-8659-A9ECF72790F9.jpeg
  • DCF6E956-4BFF-4732-9536-B8E3EA665550.jpeg

#6 EUP Sledhead

EUP Sledhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Sled:19 900T Renegade X

Posted 20 February 2020 - 12:28 PM

Why not run day 1 loop from st. Ignace then that’ll eliminate one afternoon of moving? I’ve ran that day one loop on a bike it doesn’t take long to do.

#7 Nater2004

Nater2004

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Sled:2019 Backcountry 850

Posted 20 February 2020 - 12:47 PM

If you go to the island- if you don’t walk away from the main area it sucks. It’s all tshirts and fudge- Get away and it’s fine.

With that said, we’ll spend our time exploring other things in the UP then going back. It’s worth the trip once tho...

#8 wmoater

wmoater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 01:16 PM

That’s not a bad idea. I just need to make sure I find out when all of Mackinaw city stuff opens so I have time to tour and then ride the rest of the day.   I am also considering starting in Bayview first day like planned and then go to Newberry and run day 2 and 3 without moving. Thanks for the input. Very good point!

Why not run day 1 loop from st. Ignace then that’ll eliminate one afternoon of moving? I’ve ran that day one loop on a bike it doesn’t take long to do.

#9 Toivo1037

Toivo1037

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Sled:MXZ 583

Posted 20 February 2020 - 05:15 PM

You are going to put all of this work into planning the perfect vacation.

Then she is going to complain that you are not being spontaneous.

Just saying.

--Neil
Snow VP

True Trail Conditions at:

Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forum

#10 Wink1

Wink1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4778 posts
  • Interests:Sledding, classic cars (don’t own one but I like them), watching my grandson play ball.
  • Sled:2018 850 XRS 129

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:50 PM

We love the island!!!

#11 wmoater

wmoater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 07:23 AM

I beg to differ.........I am going to put all this planning in and it will RAIN The entire week :D! My wife is a fair weather rider. She does not enjoy sitting on the back in rain. The plans will change immediately and it will be spontaneous! Now thats my LUCK! The main reason for planning ahead is the camping areas. The UP fills up pretty quick. Can’t just pick where to go the week before. I haven’t decided weather to take the big rig (fifth wheel toyhauler) or the little rig (snowmobile trailer) both are super comfy she’s fine with either. 

You are going to put all of this work into planning the perfect vacation.

Then she is going to complain that you are not being spontaneous.

Just saying.

Edited by wmoater, 21 February 2020 - 07:27 AM.

#12 wmoater

wmoater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 09:20 AM

I have another question. How smooth are the snowmobile trails in the summer? Are they pretty rutted or smooth as in could a Spyder Ryker ride on them? How busy are they? Is it really dusty? If I was to take a Ryker (Spyder) on them do I need a orv pass if it is street registered? My buddy has a Ryker rally and was thinking about going up and run some CR roads and then jump out onto hardpack to. Now I am curious too? I know my Spyder RT won't touch the dirt but if the trails are like thin dirt roads and smooth that would be a blast. Any input around Newberry to GM would be interested in details.

#13 Go Fast or Go Home

Go Fast or Go Home

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 7395 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling and ATVs
    Boating
    Traveling
    Family and friends
  • Sled:12 1200 Gade---(3) 14 1200x Gades

Posted 22 February 2020 - 11:00 AM

Bill---I have had my quads and S x S on the trails.  Seems as though every one I was on was very dusty and whooped out worse than snowmobiling.  Some clubs will groom ATV trails, but not any wheres near as often as sled trails.

There is NO way you should even consider taking your Spyder off a paved road.  Even if a County dirt road is smooth and seems O.K., they sometimes end abruptly into a rutted two track..

NOW for the disclaimer---This is based on my observations.  Maybe someone that lives in the area can shed more light.

Don~

#14 Buck_OH

Buck_OH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Sled:2009 gtx 2012 tnt 2016 Enduro

Posted 22 February 2020 - 11:55 AM

I have a cabin South of Frederic and ride the ATV/sled trails. They are very dusty. We like to ride after a rain just because in cuts down on the dust. I can also say that they are very loose sand in our area. Not at all hard packed.

#15 ntjordan

ntjordan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1983 posts
  • Sled:17 900A, 16 900A, 13 1200, 13 600A

Posted 22 February 2020 - 04:00 PM

Bill---I have had my quads and S x S on the trails. Seems as though every one I was on was very dusty and whooped out worse than snowmobiling. Some clubs will groom ATV trails, but not any wheres near as often as sled trails.

There is NO way you should even consider taking your Spyder off a paved road. Even if a County dirt road is smooth and seems O.K., they sometimes end abruptly into a rutted two track..

NOW for the disclaimer---This is based on my observations. Maybe someone that lives in the area can shed more light.

Don~

Good advice Don, you are spot on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users