Please help. Dead cylinder on Mag side. - Page 2 - MXZ / Legend / Summit / Grand Touring / Formula - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

Please help. Dead cylinder on Mag side.

one cylinder carb help spark no spark dead cylinder mag side mag pto spark plug

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 FastD00

FastD00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3406 posts
  • Sled:2000 MXZ 600SB with some engine mods 😈

Posted 14 February 2020 - 07:57 PM

This is very interesting the 600 is a pretty solid engine im pushing 6k on my 600 with just carbs an a new recoil i call her old faithful because she just run so good allways.

Gap your plugs to be safe can double check your carbs just to be safe. Dose your sled have dpm?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#17 mdmead

mdmead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Sled:Ski Doo Summit 670

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:07 AM

Spark gap isn't the problem.  My money is on the stator given everything else you have done/checked.  (Isn't really anything else left.)

Matt

Selah (near Yakima) WA

'04 600 Summit REV

'97 Summit 670 - DEAD

'97 Summit 583

'95 Skandic 500

'95 RXL - DEAD

'85 Bravo

85 Manta - DEAD

#18 cullenskidoo

cullenskidoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Sled:99 Ski Doo MXZ 600

Posted 17 February 2020 - 07:24 AM

Spark gap isn't the problem.  My money is on the stator given everything else you have done/checked.  (Isn't really anything else left.)

thank you, I don't think spark gap or anything with fuel or the carbs is an issue because my plugs don't show a fuel issue (lean or rich) they show a not sparking issue. I'm beginning to think that as well. I have read on a few other forums that the voltage regulator could be a major issue in these things especially since I have had 2 headlights burn out in the last week when doing testing. I think I'm going to look up how to test the stator this week. If that checks out I'm going to replace the voltage regulator and then the MPEM box from my other sled to see if anything works. I'll replace 1 at a time until it works. 

#19 cullenskidoo

cullenskidoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:13 AM

The older motors were like that, but the newer series 3 motors(600/700/800) run the same main jets.

Ditchbangr looks like you have found my post. I'm at a loss with what to do next.  I was thinking stator but wouldn't that effect both cylinders? Also if it was the voltage regulator would it effect both cylinders since I have 1 coil pack? I mean I have blown the high and low beam headlights so I think I have a voltage regulator issue I'm just wondering why the dash lights didn't blow before the headlights if its a voltage issue. I've also been wondering about a crank seal but I don't get the high idle issues others have and the spark plug doesn't show a rich or lean situation. 

#20 Ditchbangr zx

Ditchbangr zx

Another winter gone 😩

• DOOCrew
  • 91477 posts
  • Sled:99 mxz 600 136" 05 Summit 800H.O 151"

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:12 AM

Don’t think it’s the regulator at all. Definitely think it could be the stator, or bad wiring somewhere for your spark issue. A leaky seal wouldn’t have much to do with the spark issue either, but would definitely be a bad issue to have a well.

#21 cullenskidoo

cullenskidoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 06:59 AM

Well I think I'm throwing in the towel. Last night I swapped the voltage regulator off of my sled, cleaned the frame good so it could ground but it didn't work, Then I swapped the MPEM and the tether off of my sled and still didn't change anything. I tried to check the stator but I couldn't get the plug apart to check it and from what I ready it would effect only 1 cylinder if it was bad.  Only thing I can think to check next is the exhaust valve and see if I can see anything inside of there.  I even sprayed the whole motor down with starting fluid when running to see if anything changed the motor pitch and wiggled all the wires and looked for shorts.  I was told to try and drain the case and see how much gas is in there but I don't think that's an easy job, you can see a pile of sludge where the y pipe connects to the expansion chamber. Is there an easy way to see if the case is full of gas?

#22 cullenskidoo

cullenskidoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 10:04 AM

I keep telling myself that I'm done working on it until next fall but I just cant get it out of my mind. I pulled the exhaust valve out last night and it was decently clean and was moving like it should. I couldn't see anything on the piston that would say its bad or has issues. Top of the piston looks good and doesn't have a hole in it and I didn't see shavings. Honestly nothing about this makes sense and the fact that its not doing 1 specific thing that points to the cause drives me insane. Friday night I'm going to re try a few things now that I have a new voltage regulator and computer swapped to the sled and see if any of the old tests didn't work because of the blown voltage regulator (mainly swap out the coil again). I'm just throwing darts at it now hoping I don't have to completely tear it apart and I can ride for the next couple of weekends.

#23 LETMGROW

LETMGROW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2033 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiles, hunting, fishing, NASCAR, camping with my family, managing my land for wildlife.
    Owner Auto and light truck repair shop and automotive machine shop.
  • Sled:'97 Mach 1 x 7, '96 f3 600, '97 Mach Z

Posted 19 February 2020 - 10:19 AM

Do you by any chance have a timing light? Hook the light up to the suspect cylinder and watch as the light flashes. If the light quits flashing you have an ignition issue. If not you will have to look elsewhere.

Lynn

If you want to get something out of something, you must put something into it.

Buy cheap and you will buy twice.

My greatest fear: As I lay on my death bed my wife is typing away on her computer trying to sell my prized possessions on Craig's list for what I told her I paid for them.

#24 mark32786

mark32786

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Sled:17 "edit for bad language" kitty. 04 mxz 600

Posted 19 February 2020 - 10:35 AM

Have you pulled your recoil off just to check what’s behind that door # and at least visual see that it’s all aok?

It’s hard to guess over the net, I’m throwing my money at you need a stator though, going by other test you did and not worked for you

Good luck man

#25 cullenskidoo

cullenskidoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 10:46 AM

Have you pulled your recoil off just to check what’s behind that door # and at least visual see that it’s all aok?

It’s hard to guess over the net, I’m throwing my money at you need a stator though, going by other test you did and not worked for you

Good luck man

I'm very curious about this. What would pulling the recoil off accomplish? Because on the trip when all of this happened we rode 20 miles to a warming shed with the sled only running on 1 cylinder.  Since it was only running on 1 cylinder the whole way there I made the decision to head back home and when I pulled on the sled for the 3rd time it started and the rope came out of the sled, I must of pulled too far and pulled it right out. We rode home and later on when in the garage I discovered the little metal wedge that holds the rope in was lodged into the plastic part of the recoil. I got a new wedge and put it back together and never thought any more of it. Could that wedge have messed things up? I didn't think so since I had this issue before the recoil pulled out but maybe the wedge came out long ago and there was just 1 wrap on the rope keeping it inside the sled? can you see the stator if you take the recoil off?

Do you by any chance have a timing light? Hook the light up to the suspect cylinder and watch as the light flashes. If the light quits flashing you have an ignition issue. If not you will have to look elsewhere.

Lynn

I don't but I guess I need to get one.

#26 LETMGROW

LETMGROW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2033 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiles, hunting, fishing, NASCAR, camping with my family, managing my land for wildlife.
    Owner Auto and light truck repair shop and automotive machine shop.
  • Sled:'97 Mach 1 x 7, '96 f3 600, '97 Mach Z

Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:23 PM

You must know someone who has a timing light. Car racer? Someone who restores older cars or trucks or motorcycles?

Harbor Freight has some cheaper lights which would serve your purpose.

Lynn

If you want to get something out of something, you must put something into it.

Buy cheap and you will buy twice.

My greatest fear: As I lay on my death bed my wife is typing away on her computer trying to sell my prized possessions on Craig's list for what I told her I paid for them.

#27 cullenskidoo

cullenskidoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 06:15 AM

It's alive! And on both cylinders! Not 100% sure what I did or what was wrong.  I got home last night and just couldn't let it sit so I put the RAVE valve back on with a new gasket and started the sled but still dead.

A friend asked if I have ever taken the air box off and checked the back of the carbs to see if they were creating suction and I hadn't so I ripped the air box off again and put my hand over the PTO side and it had plenty then I tried the MAG side and I swear it didn't have much if any so I took my hand off and put it back on again and I hear a little pop noise and just like that I started firing again! I have no idea what that did to the sled but after 40 miles of trails and 4 nights to testing things and trying different things I don't understand how something that simple fixed it. Is it the reeds? should I replace them? When I inspected them a month ago they looked great with no gaps or chips so I don't think that's the issue but still I don't really want to be stranded or have this issue again.

Next thing is every time I start the sled now it back fires, I'm guessing there is some gas in the crank case? Can I just run it? Planning on hitting the trails this weekend for our 2nd to last weekend of the year.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: one cylinder, carb, help, spark, no spark, dead cylinder, mag side, mag, pto, spark plug

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users