Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

600 efi

296K views 1K replies 131 participants last post by  lobster 
#1 ·
Looks like the 550 fan and the 600 carb are finally gone. the 600 efi looks to be basically the 600 carb with TBI, or is there more to the 600 efi than that?

#5 ·
600 carb was in the 103-113hp ball park. the new 600 efi is 85hp at 7500 revs. I wonder what the power band looks like on the new 600? Clutch it to 8200 to get it closer to 100HP? Either-way, nice price point on it.
It would be quite easy for them to neuter the ignition to cut out before it makes power, but I suspect the basic engine hasn't changed much, if any apart from the fuel and ignition.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
It looks to be literally the 600 carb converted to TBI EFI and clutched to run at a lower RPM
The 600carb was a 597, this is a 599, i'm thinking it's the same block as the 600r with no raves or DI. I have a cudney PB80 that turned my 7200rpm 900 into a 8200 900. I'd love to get my hands on this 600 for an hour and swap the clutch.

#10 ·
The 600carb was a 597, this is a 599, i'm thinking it's the same block as the 600r with no raves or DI. I have a cudney PB80 that turned my 7200rpm 900 into a 8200 900. I'd love to get my hands on this 600 for an hour and swap the clutch.
agreed. i think its the 600r as well, eerily similar cylinder head and equal displacement with a pdrive clutch...its gotta be

#11 ·
It is apparently based off of the 600r block. Very strange that it doesn’t have raves but I find it very unlikely that it won’t be better than the 600 carb and 550 fan efficiency wise... weird move by skidoo trying to basically make 500cc power with a 600cc mill by taking off most of the parts that makes the engine powerful and efficient. There must be some small throttle bodies on it still.

#13 ·
It looks like it pretty much injects right into the intake manifold so it’s basically doing what a carb does with injection... it doesn’t sound like a smooth running motor in the videos I’ve seen. I get that they didn’t want to cut into 600etec sales but I think they should have aimed for the 95-100hp mark and produced similar power to the 600 carb.

#18 ·
Sounds like bog city when he's blipping the throttle there... sad to see the 600carb go, I would have loved to see them come up with some sort of sdi system for it, keeping the same power and increasing fuel and oil economy
That sound is actually the Lester throttle effect. Happens anytime a Lester touches a throttle on a Doo....

As for making another 600 SDI with good performance and better fuel and oil economy. That's the 600 Etec. I get that it's all about the price when talking these entry level sleds but I just don't see BRP putting all of the time, effort and money of building another new motor (even though it is based off of the 600 Etec) specifically for these sleds unless it was going to be a solid engine with good performance and good economy while meeting emission standards. I also think this engine will likely be in the 90+ HP range and the spec sheet number is conservative. If once these get into the hands of owners and they can be tweaked for better performance over stock there should be little to complain about here.

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
Some first impressions of the engine from SledMagazine.com. This engine just may just turn out to be really good for the entry level sled buyer.

Rotax 600 EFI engine

No more carburetor engines for Ski-Doo! This sentence summarizes the manufacturer's intentions for 2021. Indeed, the 550F and 600 carburetor engines will do their last lap in 2020 and will be replaced by the 600 EFI engine. This 85 HP engine is much cleaner and meets EPA standards. It's more ecological, more economical, and performs better than its predecessors.

As this is an entry-level engine, we're not talking about a direct-injection engine or even semi-direct injection. Ski-Doo has taken a more traditional approach. The same goes for the injection oil, which is mixed directly with the gasoline. The goal is to make a less expensive engine and to be able to offer the 600EFI snowmobiles for the same price as the 600 with a carburetor.

To save on manufacturing costs, Rotax has integrated certain components from its E-TEC engines into its new 600EFI engine. Of course, like the engines it replaces, this new engine is designed to be easy to maintain and repair. It is essential for owners who live in remote or northern regions.

My First Impressions of the Rotax 600 EFI

I have been fortunate to be able to ride a few models equipped with this new engine. As soon as I started the engine, a bit of nostalgia took over… Indeed, the sound of the engine brought back a lot of good memories. When you press the accelerator, you can feel the 85 HP of this engine. The accelerations are excellent and without hesitation.

When I ride snowmobiles equipped with less sophisticated technologies, this allows me to get back to the basic "feelings" that seduced me and made snowmobiling one of my greatest passions.

This engine provides excellent performance and is very pleasant to ride. I'm thrilled to see this engine added to the Ski-Doo line-up, since it has an affordable purchase price, it will be an engine to consider for new buyers or beginners. It is an excellent alternative to a used snowmobile for a first purchase.

#20 ·
" Ski-Doo has taken a more traditional approach. The same goes for the injection oil, which is mixed directly with the gasoline."

please tell me that they are talking the oil line goes to the the fuel lines, mixing before the injectors, and NOT premix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.