Bad connector at coil - REV-XR / XS Chassis - 4-TEC 1200 Performance and Trail Models - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

Bad connector at coil

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Shimano

Shimano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Sled:2010 renegade 1200

Posted 09 February 2020 - 05:49 PM

Would a bad connector at coil set off check engine light.mine is going down to 2 when warm but no lights? Tried a new coil on the one but same thing.im thinking connector PTO side cyl

#2 barberch

barberch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Sled:2020 Enduro 900T

Posted 09 February 2020 - 06:01 PM

Could be.

#3 Shimano

Shimano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Sled:2010 renegade 1200

Posted 09 February 2020 - 06:22 PM

Thanks for your insight.?🤔

#4 SBT

SBT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1128 posts
  • Interests:sledding,camping,being outdoors in general
  • Sled:17 1200 tnt

Posted 09 February 2020 - 06:47 PM

Have had 2 bad connectors on different 1200s with no code on dash. Both pto side. One was broken connector right inside the plug, had to tear it apart to find it. Second one was a loose connector. Had to open that plug and crimp the female ends to make contact with male pin in coil.

Edited by SBT, 09 February 2020 - 06:49 PM.

#5 Bowana

Bowana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1624 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,Sledding,Roughriders
  • Sled:2012 & 2011 RevXR Renegade

Posted 10 February 2020 - 06:08 PM

Usually the coil turns on the engine light and the broken wire in the connector does at well. You may want to check all of the 5 amp fuses for the coils and make sure they are tight in the fuse box as well. Seeing your sled is a 2010 I am thinking connector wires. However it can be a few different things as I spent 2 years or more chasing down. If you search " another coil question" or something similar you can follow along on what was done to effectively fix my problem which was intermittent and caused by a bad wire in the harness. Good luck and let us know what you find.    

2012 Rev XR Renegade, 40 litre travel bag, accessory wiring for helmet and 12 volt for GPS. Mid Height 17 inch windshield. Temp module. Dual carbides on 6.9's. MBRP Header with full Cudney set-up. XTX 5034 belt. Monster Performance upgraded shocks. 12000 miles and counting. 2011 XR Gade (wife's) 27000 K's and counting.

#6 sleddingfarmer

sleddingfarmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6196 posts
  • Sled:'10 1200X

Posted 10 February 2020 - 07:13 PM

I had a loose connector pin in my coil connectors and it would throw a check engine light when it would act up. Took the connectors apart and tightened them. Haven't had an issue since.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

#7 barberch

barberch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 08:47 PM

Thanks for your insight.?

Had a coil connector and a coil go on my 2011 1200,  both times there was a code. For the intermittent coil connector issue, each time it happened the sled would go down to 2 cylinders. The only way to get back to 3 was to shut it off and restart.

There is tons of insight on these pages already documented, you just have to take a minute and look for it. Maybe start with the FAQs and use the search function of the forum for lots more insight.

#8 Nickski

Nickski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3975 posts
  • Sled:2017 1200 Gade

Posted 11 February 2020 - 10:36 AM

We’ve had 2 sleds have a coil go bad, threw a check engine light. When my pins broke in the connector, no engine light.

#9 barberch

barberch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 07:41 PM

We’ve had 2 sleds have a coil go bad, threw a check engine light. When my pins broke in the connector, no engine light.

same here. On the older sleds the ECU would set a code and quit pumping fuel into the cylinder, but on the newer ECU it would fire again if the intermittant fault went away

#10 Oldyellar50

Oldyellar50

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1250 posts
  • Interests:My 2010 na stage 2 1200
    Composit 2ply track 32s
    Cudney clutch kit and a pb80
    MAINWAY SOLUTIONS throughout
    2900 miles.

A holeshot monster lol
  • Sled:2010 Xr 1200

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:33 PM

I just want to know why these coils keep going. Is it vibration from somewhere can bad gas cause coils to go. I'm not saying this to be smart but I have 28000 thousand miles and had one act up but my muffler was was vibrating off the frame due to gutting it. I fixed well my mechanic fixed it a loose connection and 3000 miles and two years ago I fixed the vibration in the muffler and bob is your uncle. I get 98% of all my fuel from a highly used Shell station. I just seem to keep going and going on 2010's I have a 2014 too low miles and zero issues with coils too. I might just be lucky but at 28000 plus miles one acted up in that time and the sled was new to me and it just needed to be crimped or a new end put on. Sorry for my lack of tech words but I'm no mechanic i have just put allot of seat time on 1200s

#11 Nickski

Nickski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3975 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:10 AM

I just want to know why these coils keep going. Is it vibration from somewhere can bad gas cause coils to go. I'm not saying this to be smart but I have 28000 thousand miles and had one act up but my muffler was was vibrating off the frame due to gutting it. I fixed well my mechanic fixed it a loose connection and 3000 miles and two years ago I fixed the vibration in the muffler and bob is your uncle. I get 98% of all my fuel from a highly used Shell station. I just seem to keep going and going on 2010's I have a 2014 too low miles and zero issues with coils too. I might just be lucky but at 28000 plus miles one acted up in that time and the sled was new to me and it just needed to be crimped or a new end put on. Sorry for my lack of tech words but I'm no mechanic i have just put allot of seat time on 1200s

I wouldn’t say it’s a problem. Remember, this site is about posting issues, not posting about how they never have coil issues. We have 6 in our group and only 2 of the 09’s have lost a coil, both around 7-8000 miles. That’s an 11 year old component that’s fired a heck of a lot of times, so I don’t see it being a problem.

The bigger problem is the newer ones that are breaking pins in the connector. There is a service bulletin out there somewhere about it according to the dealer I talked to. Some sled, depending on who did the assembly, had the wires pulled too tight when zip tied to the connector causing them to have too much strain on them. The one I had break had the wires basically doing a 90 deg. turn right out of the connector and both pins broke in half. I’m redoing all 3 with new connectors and leads and adding a could inches of wire so they can make a nice soft loop into the connector.

#12 sleddingfarmer

sleddingfarmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6196 posts
  • Sled:'10 1200X

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:24 AM

I think often times the issue is just from the wires flopping around. They eventually get loosened up or broken.

I wrapped the wire back around and zip tied it to the connector. Keeps the connector/plugs/wires from vibrating and loosening.

#13 Oldyellar50

Oldyellar50

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1250 posts
  • Interests:My 2010 na stage 2 1200
    Composit 2ply track 32s
    Cudney clutch kit and a pb80
    MAINWAY SOLUTIONS throughout
    2900 miles.

A holeshot monster lol
  • Sled:2010 Xr 1200

Posted 14 February 2020 - 10:51 AM

I wouldn’t say it’s a problem. Remember, this site is about posting issues, not posting about how they never have coil issues. We have 6 in our group and only 2 of the 09’s have lost a coil, both around 7-8000 miles. That’s an 11 year old component that’s fired a heck of a lot of times, so I don’t see it being a problem.

The bigger problem is the newer ones that are breaking pins in the connector. There is a service bulletin out there somewhere about it according to the dealer I talked to. Some sled, depending on who did the assembly, had the wires pulled too tight when zip tied to the connector causing them to have too much strain on them. The one I had break had the wires basically doing a 90 deg. turn right out of the connector and both pins broke in half. I’m redoing all 3 with new connectors and leads and adding a could inches of wire so they can make a nice soft loop into the connector.

point taken bro

#14 Nickski

Nickski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3975 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 02:29 PM

I think often times the issue is just from the wires flopping around. They eventually get loosened up or broken.

I wrapped the wire back around and zip tied it to the connector. Keeps the connector/plugs/wires from vibrating and loosening.

None of our older XR 1200s have ever broken a pin. Only had it happen on the XS and those are the ones pulled very tight and zip tied to the connector. I agree on zip tying the wires so they don't flop around, but not having them bend sharply into the connector.

#15 bigfoot63

bigfoot63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1504 posts
  • Sled:2020 900 turbo x

Posted 14 February 2020 - 02:45 PM

None of our older XR 1200s have ever broken a pin. Only had it happen on the XS and those are the ones pulled very tight and zip tied to the connector. I agree on zip tying the wires so they don't flop around, but not having them bend sharply into the connector.

had a pin problem at around 8800 miles  pto side  fixed now runs like a champ 

2018 mxzx 850

wife now rides the 

2011 renegade 1200

PB80/HEADER/MUFFLER MOD/ECU REFLASH

SPIN IT"N"GRIN IT

if your aunt had nuts,she'd be your uncle

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users