Gas getting into engine oil - Renegade 900ace - 900 ACE 4-Stroke Models - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

Gas getting into engine oil - Renegade 900ace

renegade 900ace engine oil

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 clarktic

clarktic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Sled:Expd. Sprt 900ace & Rngd 900ace

Posted 31 January 2020 - 08:58 PM

Anybody ever have issues with gas getting into the engine oil? 

Brand new 2019 Renegade Adrenaline 900ace with 180kms on it - the check engine light flashed on a few times, we had to change the oil last week as it was extremely thick and dirty and, skidoo seemed to run fine for a week but now the engine light is flashing again.

I live in a remote community in Nunavut so no access to a dealer, wondering what the next step might be?

2021 Ski-doo Expedition Sport 900ace

2019 Ski-doo Renegade 900ace

#2 Judge64

Judge64

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 6378 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling
    RV'ing
    Traveling
  • Sled:Blizzard 900, TNT 900, Enduro 900

Posted 31 January 2020 - 09:06 PM

I would be concerned since you have just over 100 miles on it. The 900 is almost bullet proof so what you are reporting is very abnormal.

You are sure it is gas in the oil and not ant-freeze? I would expect it to look milky or grey and not dirty though if it was anti-freeze. I would expect gas to thin out the oil but it may be your temperature making it seem thick if you are not in a warm garage.

How is it running otherwise?

Did you pull the plugs to see if they are wet and full of fuel?

Perhaps one cylinder is not firing and causing fuel to get into the crankcase. After running the engine a bit you can see if each cylinder is hot to make sure each plug is firing properly. Could be a bad plug, wire or coil if one cylinder is cold and the others are hot.

If it was running very rich on all cylinders due to an injector leak or ECM issue, I would expect it to run poorly

I know you said there is no dealer in the area but you should have it looked at since it is new. Anyone in the area have BUDS?

#3 clarktic

clarktic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 09:40 PM

I assumed it to be gas - smells like its gas and has a rainbow layer of thinner liquid on it when we pulled out the dipstick. When we changed the oil on it last week it was milky/ grey-er and thicker.

There technically is a dealer in town - but no actual maintenance so no support, they do have the BUDS system to check the fault codes so I think i'll give that a shot.

I am a novice when it comes to machines and maintenance, I haven't checked the plugs, on the ace they are sealed in at the top of the engine so they might be a bit difficult to get into quickly.

I was doing a bit of googling and came across a general engine article that said driving engines for shorter trips can cause gas to go into the engine - normally this is burnt off once the engine is hot enough, but on short trips it doesn’t have a chance to do this so then it lingers. We do drive it around town for shorter trips so this might be the root of the issue.

When it is running to seems to run fine - no power issues or any other noticeable issues.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by clarktic, 31 January 2020 - 09:47 PM.

#4 Tundra 300

Tundra 300

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:HDT, trapper, hunter, fishing
  • Sled:900 Expedition, 600 Skandic, Tundra R

Posted 31 January 2020 - 09:55 PM

Short trips around town causes condensation to build up in the oil, it needs to be brought up to temp and worked hard every so often to burn it off.
Same problem in automotive engines that are driven short distances in cold weather.
I like to start my Ace and let it run to full temp before taking off to avoid the start-up and shut-down on a half warmed up motor.

Triple thumper...

#5 clarktic

clarktic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 11:14 PM

Do you think I should do a full oil change on it before taking it out again, or should I take it out tommorow and drive it for longer/harder and see what that does? 

#6 Tundra 300

Tundra 300

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 11:42 PM

If you just changed it i’d take it on a good hard run, crank on some kms hr or 2 to get the oil to operating temp and burn off the condensation.

Triple thumper...

#7 MinnDave

MinnDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2254 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing (trout), beer making, kayaking, hiking, DIY repair projects, river cruising
  • Sled:2015 Renegade 900 ACE

Posted 01 February 2020 - 12:16 AM

I assumed it to be gas - smells like its gas and has a rainbow layer of thinner liquid on it when we pulled out the dipstick. When we changed the oil on it last week it was milky/ grey-er and thicker.

Milky/grey is not a good sign.  Suggests coolant issue. Suggest performing a pressure test on the cooling system.

Needs to hold pressure. Not sure of specific test requirements. If you have the equipment to test, I could look up the test criteria.

Edited by MinnDave, 01 February 2020 - 12:17 AM.

#8 clarktic

clarktic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 12:55 AM

Milky/grey is not a good sign.  Suggests coolant issue. Suggest performing a pressure test on the cooling system.

Needs to hold pressure. Not sure of specific test requirements. If you have the equipment to test, I could look up the test criteria.

I don't think I have the equipment to perform a coolant test. When we changed the oil it was around -35 to -40 Celsius here, and i don't think it had the coldest operating temp skidoo oil in it. There hasn't been any over-heating issues as of yet.

#9 Judge64

Judge64

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 6378 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling
    RV'ing
    Traveling
  • Sled:Blizzard 900, TNT 900, Enduro 900

Posted 01 February 2020 - 07:13 AM

I don't think I have the equipment to perform a coolant test. When we changed the oil it was around -35 to -40 Celsius here, and i don't think it had the coldest operating temp skidoo oil in it. There hasn't been any over-heating issues as of yet.

Ski-Doo sells a low temperature oil good from -60C. It is a 0 - 20W full synthetic oil.

https://www.ski-doo....al--3785-l.html

At the temperatures you are running, the engine temps are probably not getting hot enough on your short trips and causing your issues. Tundra300 make a good recommendation to start it and let it get up to full temp before taking off. 

The ACE will shut down after 10 - 12 minutes of idling so if you are not up to temps by then, it may shut down so just restart it again.

#10 Craze1cars

Craze1cars

Regular ol' run-of-the-mill Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5646 posts
  • Sled:'22 Gade X 900R, '15 Gade Adrn 900ACE

Posted 01 February 2020 - 07:20 AM

Agree water condensation forming inside engine from short drives in extreme cold temps sounds very likely. As for checking coolant system...a base test is super easy with no tools....is it low on coolant? If no, it’s definitely not leaking coolant....

But yes you need to read the engine code to see what it’s trying to tell you. May have nothing to do with oil or coolant.

Edited by Craze1cars, 01 February 2020 - 07:21 AM.

#11 Harley4275

Harley4275

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Sled:2016 MXZ Blizzard 900 ace

Posted 01 February 2020 - 01:04 PM

Also ,one is not supposed to start the motor and only idle for a few seconds , let's say to show your buddy how quiet it is . That will foul a plug or cause condensation or left over fuel in cylinder. Just like short trips.

1971 SkiDoo Olympic 335

1972 SnoJet Star Jet 292

1978 Yamaha 340 Enticer

1979 Yamaha 440 Exciter

1985 Yamaha Phazer 480

1995 Yamaha 500 VMax

15 yrs of rentals

2016 SkiDoo MXZ Blizzard 900ace

#12 sprocket

sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Sled:2017 900 Enduro

Posted 03 February 2020 - 09:53 AM

As Craze1 said, you have to find out why the CEL is coming on, If you dont you are just shooting in the dark!

#13 Tundra 300

Tundra 300

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 02:49 PM

Also ,one is not supposed to start the motor and only idle for a few seconds , let's say to show your buddy how quiet it is . That will foul a plug or cause condensation or left over fuel in cylinder. Just like short trips.

I bet this happens so often, guys want to hear it run so quick fire up for 30 seconds, just perfect for condensation to happen.

Triple thumper...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users