Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Melting oil line beneath factory heat sheilding from oil resvoir to cr

6K views 36 replies 14 participants last post by  michigandoo 
#1 ·
All,

Last night I seen something interesting on the 850 owners facebook page. A fella had removed the heat wrap from the oil line that goes from the oil resvoir down to the crank case ( routing is near y pipe manifold) what he had discovered was that beneath the heat shielding on the oil line it had got so hot it was almost melted through. I am not sure but I am wondering if this could be a common issue relating to lower rod bearing failures due to starvation of oil from this main oil feed line melting. This may be a one off situation but this line is exposed to heat and I was shocked to see it melted beneath the factory heat shielding. Moral of this post is have a look from time to time to make sure the oil line is not melting on you. I do not have the photo it is posted on the 850 owners facebook page. I know I will be checking mine this weekend....

#4 ·
It may be too late for some but if you do lose a motor due to a lower rod bearing failure could you check or have the dealer check to see if this Oil line was melted beneath the factory heat shielding. Thanks, just curious to see if there is some sort of pattern here....

#11 ·
That's the post there! there has been a few chime in on that post with melted lines as well! its actually melting underneath the heat shielding that's the scary part and why I ask every one to double check theirs and zip tie it away as said in another post. If it is the line to the water pump than I guess we can dismiss the theory of any relation to lower rod bearing failure.

#12 ·
You made me look. Couldn't load it up not knowing. It IS an oil line from a halfway up the depth of the oil tank, to the crankcase very near the bottom on the front surface. It must be a return line, because it's connects to a formed nipple on the plastic tank, halfway up, so there are times when you are low on oil when this formed fitting can't reach oil in the tank.
It is really close to the y pipe. Mine WAS less than a quarter inch (6mm) away. The foil wrap seems to also contain insulation (fiberglass?).
I'm kinda scared to pull too much on it with a zip tie. If it's tight and the engine rocks around, it may detach the hose. I did put a bend in the foil, which holds the bend in the hose, which helps it stay away further. Now mine is about 3/4 inch (19 mm).

#13 ·
Ok, I managed to get a ziptie where it might work. I'll post a photo. The ziptie is pulling the hose tight against the tank, and bending the hose slightly backwards (toward back end of machine), which gives the whole remaining length if hose more slack to make the bend lower and further from the y pipe.
Photos are not going to be very good, it's a tough area to work.

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
2019, 1389 miles.
got it, I'm guessing it's probably a non-issue but you know how we are here on dootalk! I did something similar with a loose-fitting zip tie should be good! Mine was almost touching also and have about 600 miles on it and it looks fine, never really notice it on my previous 850s, stealership says most are close to the y-pipe

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
Mine was VERY close on my new 2020 850 too. Only 1/4" away is not good IMO.

I added a loose zip tie down around the other two main lines below, this holds the oil line down/away from Y pipe. Seems to me this oil line is too short, if it was a tad longer it would hang lower away from Y pipe.

Dan

Attachments

#25 ·
Mine was VERY close on my new 2020 850 too. Only 1/4" away is not good IMO.

I added a loose zip tie down around the other two main lines below, this holds the return line down/away from Y pipe. Seems to me the return line is too short, if it was a tad longer it would hang lower away from Y pipe.

Dan

Yes, agreed. It was tempting to pull the hose off the tank and extend it with a fitting and more hose. Even a couple inches could work wonders.
Maybe this summer it will get an upgrade.

#26 ·
Yes, agreed. It was tempting to pull the hose off the tank and extend it with a fitting and more hose. Even a couple inches could work wonders.
Maybe this summer it will get an upgrade.
Yeah it looks like BRP just skimped on this hose length.....That area was screaming hot when I removed hood after several blast up and down my lake, so I wasn't gonna take a chance and allow it to stay that close.

Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.