2016 600 Etec stalls when shifting in to reverse - Page 2 - REV-XP / XS Chassis - Renegades / Freeride / Backcountry - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

2016 600 Etec stalls when shifting in to reverse

low idle renegade

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 mbret2004

mbret2004

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9148 posts
  • Interests:Airplanes, exercise of any type, cars, small engines, my kids, home improvement projects, volunteer work, my faith.
  • Sled:2015 XR 1200

Posted 05 January 2021 - 04:43 PM

Pour a little two stroke oil in each cylinder. Repeat compression test, if numbers increase your issue is pointing to worn rings.
USAF, Ret, E-8
1979-2004

#17 Judge64

Judge64

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 6378 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling
    RV'ing
    Traveling
  • Sled:Blizzard 900, TNT 900, Enduro 900

Posted 08 January 2021 - 07:56 AM

When I read all the suggestions here about compression tests, engine rebuilds, etc., it makes me think, why is it even remotely acceptable that a $10K machine would need this sort of repair after only 5000 miles. The fact is, it's disturbingly common-- just look at ads for used machines (any brand, really) and see how many have had rebuild work done to them. If I was a manufacturer of snowmobiles I would be embarrassed to market such a fragile product.

This is the nature of the beast with today's higher HP 2-stroke snowmobile engines. They are typically run very hard (a lot of constant WOT) and the fact of the matter is a 2-stroke motor is far more suseptible to things like air leaks, bad fuel, bad lubrication, etc.

Yes... you will find 2-stroke snowmobiles that went 10K - 15K miles before a rebuild and without grenading but you will find many more that needed a rebuild or imploded in less than 10K miles.... or even under 5K miles.

I used to dump my 2-stroke sleds as soon as they hit 5,000 miles and I didn't run my sleds hard and I took care of them but it was always like playing russion roulette. I switched to 4-strokes about 6 years ago and haven't looked back because they will run reliably well beyond 20,000 miles with some basic care and overall chassis maintenance.

If I think about my old Yamaha Enticer or Artic Cat Jag back in the day, I never really worried about them blowing up or needing a rebuild. The HP ratings were lower and they typically tended to run on the rich side so they seemed like they would last forever.

#18 RFH

RFH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Sled:2016 Enduro

Posted 26 January 2021 - 02:52 PM

Following up on this thread.  Finally got the sled into a BRP dealer.  Low compression on one hole due to crack in intake boot. Parts ordered for new top.  Very glad I bought 3 year extended warranty which will expire end of next month.  I haven't seen the cracked boot but will be interested to.  You would think Ski Doo could source boots made of high quality rubber that would last more than 4 years without cracking.  My 1990 Indy 500 has 30 years old carb boots with no cracks.  4 years and 3800 miles on this machine.  Will be my last 2 stroke of any brand.  My other sled is a 900ACE and the 4 stroke engines will be all I own going forward since I keep my sleds many years and value reliability over all else. 

#19 600dooagain

600dooagain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Sled:'17 switchback sp

Posted 26 January 2021 - 03:09 PM

an air leak will kill a 4s just as fast as a 2s...id put boyesen aluminum cages in it and never worry again. 

#20 RFH

RFH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 05:23 PM

I have decided to be done with 2 strokes before this happened.  While I understand that an air leak can also take down a 4 stroke, I have never heard of an ACE motor going down due to this or really for any reason, and there are so many now with over 10,000 miles and 5 plus years of service on them. There must be a reason it is more common on the ETECS.  Maybe heat? Vibration? who knows.  At any rate it will be repaired, we will diligently check the boots at least once a year, and when it gives up the ghost for the last time it will be replaced with another 4 stroke.  They just fit my mission better.  The parts are going in under warranty so aftermarket cages aren't an option.

Edited by RFH, 26 January 2021 - 05:24 PM.

#21 IcutMetl

IcutMetl

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9641 posts
  • Interests:Faking coolant leaks
  • Sled:2019 Freeride 154”

Posted 26 January 2021 - 05:31 PM

I have decided to be done with 2 strokes before this happened.  While I understand that an air leak can also take down a 4 stroke, I have never heard of an ACE motor going down due to this or really for any reason, and there are so many now with over 10,000 miles and 5 plus years of service on them. There must be a reason it is more common on the ETECS.  Maybe heat? Vibration? who knows.  At any rate it will be repaired, we will diligently check the boots at least once a year, and when it gives up the ghost for the last time it will be replaced with another 4 stroke.  They just fit my mission better.  The parts are going in under warranty so aftermarket cages aren't an option.

Different strokes for different folks ;)

#22 RFH

RFH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 09:53 PM

Final follow up.  Just got the sled back from the dealer.  Took almost 7 weeks from time I first called to get the sled in for repairs until it was completed.  All the shops within 300 miles are backlogged.  As mentioned earlier, glad I had extended warranty.  Complete top end (both sides) new boots, plugs, etc,  All it cost me was $50 extended warranty deductible.  The mag side had 125 pounds, PTO side 50 pounds.  Surprisingly other than dying when shifting to/from reverse the sled ran fine and made good power.  Warranty is great, but having a sled down for 7 weeks in the heart of the short sled season is not.  Hopefully it will provide a few thousand more reliable miles.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users