Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Remove exhaust stains

11K views 32 replies 28 participants last post by  sinc71 
#1 ·
Hello, just wondering if anyone knows how to get off the oil stains from the exhaust on my 600etec. It seems the full synthetic oil leaves a stain that is not easily soluble. I tried kerosene, goo gone, and simple green already and none of them seems to do anything. Any suggestions? Thanks

#3 ·
I use bug and tar remover. Used it on my yellow 2014 800 xrs and now on my 2019 850 xrs which has black side panel bottoms and grey running boards. I spray a micro cloth and rub in on floor boards, but on side panels near exhaust outlet I spray directly on and leave it for a few minutes before cleaning it with micro cloth. Never had any issue with paint or plastics.

#4 ·
I use a product called Awesome. Sold at the Dollar General.

Spray it on and you can watch the oil run off.

Sent from my old SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Awesome is pretty strong stuff. My white panels on mine get dirty quick when wrenching. Since the panel is 100% white and not glossy.
I use....wait for it...... lacquer thinner. Put a dab on a rag and wipe on, wipe off. Been doing it for years. As long as you are not soaking the plastic, it doesn't hurt it at all. On a glossy panel like what is around the gas tank and upper cover, I use something else as the thinner would take the gloss away.
Of course this is coming from a guy that uses a can of brake cleaner on an engine regularly for cleaning.

#11 ·
I use awesome on the entire sled. Yellow tunnel, headlights, glossy panels etc..

I then spray wax the sled. Everything has stayed nice and shiny for the last 5 years!

Sent from my old SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Simple Green every time, no problem.
Everyone talks about that stuff, I've tried it twice on moto cross bikes and 4 wheelers, it did absolutely nothing! It was no better then windex. It must be good from reading about it on other forums, but it in no way shape or form worked for me.
I'm very anal about keeping my equipment clean, and been cleaning customers equipment for 30 years, I've tried pretty much every cleaner that's out there (within reason) and Mean Green from FAMILY DOLLAR is easily the best de greaser I've used. $5.00 a gallon!
Purple power, greased lightening, Awesome, etc, not even close.
Now, on a Doo belly pan, good luck. That's tough. Mean Green will take off 97% of it, but anything I've tried I can never get it perfect.

#14 ·
Everyone talks about that stuff, I've tried it twice on moto cross bikes and 4 wheelers, it did absolutely nothing! It was no better then windex. It must be good from reading about it on other forums, but it in no way shape or form worked for me.
I'm very anal about keeping my equipment clean, and been cleaning customers equipment for 30 years, I've tried pretty much every cleaner that's out there (within reason) and Mean Green from FAMILY DOLLAR is easily the best de greaser I've used. $5.00 a gallon!
Now, on a Doo belly pan, good luck. That's tough. Mean Green will take off 97% of it, but anything I've tried I can never get it perfect.
mean green and magic eraser wipes..... awesomeness

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Not to disagree with you, I have used Simple Green for decades and it works well. I spray it on full strength and let it set 5 minutes, spray it again, scrub with a light bristle brush and wipe it off, looks like new.

Bob

#17 ·
Not to disagree with you, I have used Simple Green for decades and it works well. I spray it on full strength and let it set 5 minutes, spray it again, scrub with a light bristle brush and wipe it off, looks like new.

Bob
I've used Simple Green for a long time too; I liked it on my boat because it is more environmentally safe. What I can say for sure though is that while Simple Green works good, Spray Nine and some of the others mentioned work BETTER. A lot better.

#25 ·
[attachment=1949005:2AF92_AS01.jpg

I have a bottle like this at work that is filled with acetone. The bottle is made from high density polyethylene... same thing Doo side panels and belly pans are made of. Ive tried just about everything to get the oil stains off my yellow panels. Acetone works the best and it doesnt attack the plastic. Now my panels arent shiny they have a kind of pebbly textured finish. Not sure how it would affect glossy panels so if you try it do it where it wont show first

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.