Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Anyone an expert on the 600SDI engines?

13K views 188 replies 17 participants last post by  FlavorDave 
#1 ·
Long story short, my 2006 600SDI lost a piston in Yellowstone. I managed to ride 12 miles back to town to the dealer. Dealer said 0psi on the PTO side. Loaded it back into our trailer under it's own power. Once back in Oregon, I moved it to a different trailer under it's own power.

As the sled has 8K on the clock, I decided to go with the long block. The local dealer talked me into letting them do the swap, as they have a "master Ski Doo technician" in their employ....

Fast forward a month and a half, and they called and asked if the sled had any other issues before it dropped the PTO side cylinder. I told them the sequence of events above. I have never had a single issue before this, and I've owned it since 2006.

The service manager said that they could get it to fire, but it won't idle. They called yesterday and asked for my blessing to order and install two sensors. At this point, it looks to me as if they are throwing parts at it and have no idea what the issue is.

Anybody got any ideas?

#6 ·
master Ski Doo technician... yeah, here we go :shrug should have said he was Platinum certified, that's BRP's top level tech, not a lot of em out there
Who the heck knows..... The worst part of all of this is that we just ordered two new sleds from this dealership, and these monkeys will be the ones prepping them. :wacko:

#11 ·
Looks like the only platinum dealer in Oregon is Power Motorsports just out side of Bend. I ran a Platinum service dept. and those tech's are the no BS type, fix it or fall on the sword trying. Never found a sled they couldn't fix, though BRP shipped a few that would try them. :wacko:

Reactions: djm
#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Looks like the only platinum dealer in Oregon is Power Motorsports just out side of Bend. I ran a Platinum service dept. and those tech's are the no BS type, fix it or fall on the sword trying. Never found a sled they couldn't fix, though BRP shipped a few that would try them. :wacko:
Unfortunately, I don't think dealerships are paying enough to keep top quality techs these days. Buddy of mine worked at one of the larger Yamaha dealers and kept having to go into the shop to fix issues. He begged management.owners to raise wages and hire a couple of good techs, but they didn't seem to care.

#17 ·
Still waiting to hear back about which sensors they are replacing. Supposed to be $400 with labor.....
My guess they charge $80-100 per hour labor + the parts. $400 isn't a terrible price by today's standards, providing those sensors are in fact the cause.
Hopefully they've checked the wiring harnesses and all connections as they're famous for corrosion, and upon occasion can be easily damaged in the course of a shortblock swap.

Your into it this deep, you pretty much have see it thru now

#23 ·
*UPDATE*

They texted me and apparently they DOO have the BUDS software. They did reset the TPS.

The two sensors they are replacing are the pressure sensor and the valve solenoid on the throttle body.

I really appreciate the input from you guys. This is what makes the forums great.

I'll keep you all posted.

#24 ·
*UPDATE*

They texted me and apparently they DOO have the BUDS software. They did reset the TPS.

The two sensors they are replacing are the pressure sensor and the valve solenoid on the throttle body.

I really appreciate the input from you guys. This is what makes the forums great.

I'll keep you all posted.
That's fine. They were likely having trouble resetting the TPS with the wiper on a part of the trace that never gets any use. It's the reason in the Shop Manual for the caution to not reset it for no reason. Make sure they set the old sensors aside and have them give them back. If you don't ask then they will likely through them out. It depends on how the tech or service dept work. The TPS is probably still good, but in my opinion it is worth having a brand new one on your SDI with a shortblock. I often want to suggest this, but it is difficult in a sea of SDIs that never have problems in 20,000 miles if you know what I mean.

Do me a favor and let me know the part numbers and price for those two sensors when you get the bill.

#25 ·
That's fine. They were likely having trouble resetting the TPS with the wiper on a part of the trace that never gets any use. It's the reason in the Shop Manual for the caution to not reset it for no reason. Make sure they set the old sensors aside and have them give them back. If you don't ask then they will likely through them out. It depends on how the tech or service dept work. The TPS is probably still good, but in my opinion it is worth having a brand new one on your SDI with a shortblock. I often want to suggest this, but it is difficult in a sea of SDIs that never have problems in 20,000 miles if you know what I mean.

Do me a favor and let me know the part numbers and price for those two sensors when you get the bill.
Will do, and I've already asked for the old sensors back. Thanks again for everyone's help.

#26 ·
*UPDATE #2

Found out that the sensors arrived yesterday afternoon. I texted the service manager and he said they would be installed today, and he would let me know when it was finished. It's now 8:30pm and still no word from the dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.