04 800 scary red hot muffler

5K views 52 replies 11 participants last post by  modmech 
#1 ·
my buddy last night, after 10 miles of wide open on the railbed

Automotive lighting Petal Bumper Performing arts Gas

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Now that's what I've been talking about with the glowing red muffler. Click here for what I posted back in 2015 about it. Not sure what thread it was, but I wasn't kidding that the 600s can grown ridiculously red hot to the point illuminating the trail like a red neon light! You can google search daag44 glowing muffler site:dootalk.com

I have never seen an 800 HO survive this, only the 600 HO SDI and the 1000 SDI. For the 800 HO this is a first for me.

Fantastic picture TwoRevs!

First one that I know was ever posted on DooTalk!!!

#4 ·
Now that's what I've been talking about with the glowing red muffler. Click here for what I posted back in 2015 about it. Not sure what thread it was, but I wasn't kidding that the 600s can grown ridiculously red hot to the point illuminating the trail like a red neon light! You can google search daag44 glowing muffler site:dootalk.com

I have never seen an 800 HO survive this, only the 600 HO SDI and the 1000 SDI. For the 800 HO this is a first for me.

Fantastic picture TwoRevs!

First one that I know was ever posted on DooTalk!!!
Whats more amazing is the sled seems to run perfect. lol

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
I should mention the EPA testing to see the effect on 15% Ethanol spoke about muffler temps. The results are public and can be found online. Very good read. If I remember correctly it is one of the reasons why the EPA never went above 10% Ethanol and also why the EGTS is so important for the SDI and ETEC that are set to run leaner than carbs.

#11 ·
Take another look at the picture and see the big hole in the side panel lol
One the bold I have never seen this before other than sleds that caught fire lol

I have seen/felt the RH door panel turn to butter lol In a Tech Manual BRP explained the 2004 600 HO SDI would overheat the muffler in a certain midrange throttle position that the ECM wasn't monitoring the EGTS. That is the reason why they changed the fuel mapping on later SDI. The 2006 Renegade 1000 SDI was well known for muffler fires which some believe was related to a wiring issue with the high and low injectors. Unlike the 600 they are a different size and flow different amounts. It wasn't much of a problem at the usual precarious low speed midrange since the engine was getting more fuel, but a high speed it was getting less. Click here for the related DooTalk Topic.

That picture you showed must have been a lot hotter than 800C (1472F). This is the main reason why I keep hoping that BRP will eventually give us the muffler EGT readings. Maybe the 2020 600/850 ETEC with their new fancy gauges??? C'mon Ski-Doo, Just Do It! lol

An excerpt from a more recent thread.

https://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/1553297-2016-muffler-assembly-rusting-out/page-2#entry22635873

Daag44 Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:20 AM

"In another case the muffler ran so hot that the exit pipe glowed on the trail at night light like a neon light. One area of the plastic door panel was so hot that it literally felt like butter and destroyed to moly rings that was used in the early 600s and 800s. The 2006 Renegade 1000 SDI were well known for muffler fires, and they had the leanest oil pump setting, so very little oil compared to sleds of today. At the time BRP couldn't figure it out the cause for this sled. It was only decade later when the wiring for the high and low speed injectors were found to be reversed on some sleds that would cause extreme lean conditions in the mid to high part throttle range."

#12 ·
Take another look at the picture and see the big hole in the side panel lol
Hard to see the hole on my phone here, but what the heck, free side panel venting,, well sorta free as everything comes at a cost.

If your buddy had a temp gauge in that muff it would have been pegged.
A temp gauge in the muff is easy enough to do, drill the hole, weld a bung in and install a single probe egt gauge.

#14 ·
When the muffler gets hot, everything gets taxed including the pistons and rings, pull cord assembly, magneto flywheel magnets and their steel ring on the later models, and of course the notorious stator failures. I have posted my own pictures of cracked magnet immediately following a muffler overheat, but for the moment these were easier to find.

Magneto Flywheel steel ring dislodged on RS_Rider's 2013 800 ETEC

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Rim

Magneto Flywheel Magnets cracked on minirips2's 2006 Renegade 600 SDI

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Water

Attachments

#15 ·
Second look at the pic, there's some spots that are white hot,,,,I'm impressed that 800 lived for 10 miles wot!
It can get that hot in the midrange too! BRP appears to have made all their MY2006 sleds run leaner to meet the first wave of EPA. I don't know why this 2004 would be running so hot. Of course a popular subject back then was how rich the early 600HO and 800HO were running stock, so many of them got the performance jetting without paying attention to EGTs :huh:

Below are a few muffler temp warnings I got from Ski-Doo. The ETEC is similar and so should other sleds from Polaris and Arctic. Each one triggers something that's not so good lol

EGTS: 600 C (1112 F)
EGTS: 700 C (1292 F)

EGTS: 800 C (1472 F)

#17 ·
That makes more sense. The 600 I spoke about got red hot riding the mids. It was lent out to a friend who babied it.... Then it was ridden wot for a few miles to clean it up lol

At night you can see muffler color. At day you can see any carbon buildup smoking out the muffler like a diesel truck lol

Anyone ever through the old mufflers into a camp fire to burn off the carbon build-up? lol

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
:bighair

The y-pipe should also be light grey.
He painted it with black 1300 degree rustoleum when he put it back together.. and its still black lol

the outlet is fine on the muffler, not bent, too

I will let you know what i find later when he gets it over here in the shop.

We just got back from Caribou.. 4 1/2 hour drive in the trucks.

#26 ·
He painted it with black 1300 degree rustoleum when he put it back together.. and its still black lol

the outlet is fine on the muffler too

I will let you know what i find later when he gets it over here in the shop.

We just got back from Caribou.. 4 1/2 hour drive in the trucks.
Sorry, I meant the color inside the y-pipe.

Amazing how the Restoleum survived lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.