Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Electrical burning smell

11K views 79 replies 9 participants last post by  Mill 
#1 ·
Sled is a 2014 800 xrs

As the title states, i was riding yesterday (beautiful day to say the least)and after about 100 miles i started smelling this strange odor. i started hearing a noise at about the same time, sounds like a dry bearing type of noise coming from in front of me or a tad on the PTO side. Still not convinced its related to my issue but thought maybe i would throw that out there. about 2-300 foot from a stop sign my check engine light came on with and displayed rev limited so i coasted to the stop sign, went to take off the sled beeped several times and i shut her down. I get off the sled and light smoke is coming from right panel, so i open it and all i smell is burning electrical. Discussed with my group what the plan was, i fired it back up and the gauge cluster was dead foor about 2-3 seconds then the needled did their gauge sweep real slowly the digital rpm came up on the dash it idled really low for a few seconds then quit. fast forward 30-40 minutes for truck and trailer i started it back up and it idled great for a few minutes and drove it in the trailer, still smelling burning electrical.

Today i get it home and in garage, i fire it up idle it for 10 minutes while checking battery voltage and its 13.6 at idle, 14.8 roughly holding steady throttle, then held the throttle at about 2000 rpms for a minute, let it idle for another 10, put it on the lift and run it at 35 mph for a few minutes, did this three times, bring back to idle and it starts to die, when its starting to die battery voltage is down to 12.16 then will pick back up to low 13s with throttle input. I am leaning towards stator but when i put my hose near that blue capacitor, it smells awful. Looking for some opinions on what you may think.

I have a 2012 shop manual, will information regarding the electrical system be the same from 12 to 14?

sorry for the long winded post

See less See more
#3 ·
Had an ecu go bad on a car once. Similar to what you described. Some smoke, horrible electrical/fish smell. Car wouldn't start at all though.

Opened up the ecu and a capacitor had burned up and leaked all over.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I use the 2012 mostly for the 800R and the early ETECs from 2009 to 2012. Better to use the 2013 manual for your sled, and it is an overall better manual. The 2017 850 manual is again even better. Actually it is far better with easier to follow pictures. A lot of things apply between the 600, 800 and 850 ETEC, like the electrical troubleshooting. We have them circulating on DooTalk.

#6 ·
Is the capacitor something that normally goes bad? Trying to understand the job of the capacitor has in the electrical system... The manual is kind of confusing. Going to get capacitor off tonight and ohm it out.

Thanks again

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I think that removing it from the sled to do a smell and voltage test is a good idea. Just be safe and follow the safety warnings in the manual. I don't use a resistor to bleed the capacitor, but do I measure the residual voltage and depending on the voltage I pick a load to bleed it. For instance if the voltage is not much higher than say 15 Vdc, then I use a 12 Vdc test light or my 12 Vdc shop light to drain it. Whatever you do, please don't cause an accidental short against the chassis as this is never good for electronic components.

The Capacitor is indeed a component that can go bad. Since it is an integral part of the voltage regulation, if there is any doubt about this component, then replace it. A steady voltage on a sled is everything. The Capacitor is roughly $100 CAN with taxes.

#9 ·
I think that removing it from the sled to do a smell and voltage test is a good idea. Just be safe and follow the safety warnings in the manual. I don't use a resistor to bleed the capacitor, but do I measure the residual voltage and depending on the voltage I pick a load to bleed it. For instance if the voltage is not much higher than say 15 Vdc, then I use a 12 Vdc test light or my 12 Vdc shop light to drain it. Whatever you do, please don't cause an accidental short against the chassis as this is never good for electronic components.

The Capacitor is indeed a component that can go bad. Since it is an integral part of the voltage regulation, if there is any doubt about this component, then replace it. A steady voltage on a sled is everything. The Capacitor is roughly $100 CAN with taxes.
Very good point about safety.

I was just looking up the price myself. $70 US from doo or used on Ebay $25-$40.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Someone on DooTalk recently posted a video of the voltage creeping-up on their 800 ETEC (see below). I found it in my browser history, but I can't find the DooTalk thread. Maybe someone remembers seeing it? I would bet it needs a capacitor.

Below is another bad capacitor citing, but the cause is unclear.

https://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/1505009-800-etec-eating-stators/#entry22756467
My 2015 had similar symptoms. Just replaced a fried stator but my capacitor also fried and leaked out it's oil. Put new doo stator and capacitor in and the sled popped the capacitor after maybe 1 minute idling and that's where I'm at. Sled seemed to be running normal except check engine light was on. It currently will start but I'm hoping stator is still ok. I don't know what to at this point

#12 ·
So from reading the manual a little at lunch time, it looks like that capacitor supply's power to injector coils and fuel pump at lower engine speeds, say idling..... I also was reading the chart about beeps.... I had 4 beeps, CEL, and rev limit, according to that chart that's a problem in the 55/60 volt system which sounds like it's the capacitor side of things? Daag can you confirm this?

Thanks guys.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
The stator is the only power source when the engine is running.

The role of the capacitor is to help regulate the voltage. The Shop Manual says it is to stabilize which is the same thing. I just use my own words.

For the 4 short beeps, it depends which Pilot Lamp gets lit. You mentioned the Check Engine Light (CEL) so I imagine the actual engine pilot light and not one of the others. That one means there is a fault of some sort. It needs to be read with the headlight switch procedure or BUDS or CanDoo. Where you are finding the reference to the 60Vdc System Voltage?

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Most codes do get stored to memory and will stay there even if the battery is unplugged. It is those elusive codes that don't get stored that are a PITA. If you get one of those on an ETEC then should be able to retrieve it before shutting down the sled. I never have, but someone on DooTalk did get lucky and found the code. I wish that I had kept the link because it is one of those rare sightings like spotting a Big Foot or Loch Ness. They do exist I think? lol

#16 ·
Ok thanks daag.... So I just went and tried to get codes from it and it didn't work, does the sled have to be running in order to get the codes? So if I can't get codes my plan of attack is take capacitor out and visually look and then smell it? Should I check the capacitor charge hold test after that? Plan on working on it a little tonight.... Thanks

#18 ·
So can someone clarify something, the one part of the stator charges the capacitor, the 2nd part is primary voltage for the cluster and other things and the third is for accessories? If this is true, is it possible to check the voltage at the capacitor with engine running. Kind of like checking to see if an alternator is charging a battery. You would be looking for 50-60 volts...... I will not try this until someone else with more experience chimes in.....

FWIW, it just doesn't make since that the stator is bad because of the smoke that comes from the sled..... My headlights, heated plug , 12v plug heated grips all work fine....

#20 ·
I just got out of garage..... I started it up pulled the code only the p1562.... I had my meter on it the entire time, with a little throttle voltage was up around 14.7 consistently. I pulled the capacitor out and gave it a smell and it wasn't that bad, but when I smell the plastic that the capacitor sits in, that stinks like burnt. I checked the inspection shield and it looks pierced to me... The manual says if it's pierced then to replace it. I will post a pic of it and hope someone chimes in... Thanks guys have a good night.
162e3b24a24693c735c328d13418a442.jpg
9e7a77934cd057d9709b2356ad9878d8.jpg
8bb939d07f0191292d6ae87c5e6929a8.jpg

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
I just got out of garage..... I started it up pulled the code only the p1562.... I had my meter on it the entire time, with a little throttle voltage was up around 14.7 consistently. I pulled the capacitor out and gave it a smell and it wasn't that bad, but when I smell the plastic that the capacitor sits in, that stinks like burnt. I checked the inspection shield and it looks pierced to me... The manual says if it's pierced then to replace it. I will post a pic of it and hope someone chimes in... Thanks guys have a good night.

Nice pictures!!! Remove the black plastic protective cover by prying it off. it is there to prevent an accidental short, but I'm sure you will be careful when prying it off, and it will likely be discharged. This will allow you to get a better look at the top for any bulging or piercing.

The P1562 code means either the stator is not producing enough voltage, or there is a component in the 60 Vdc System that is shorted and draining the the power from the stator. I will add the Power Distribution Chart for the ETEC, but the components on the 60 Vdc System are the injectors, ignition coils, fuel pump, oil pump and the capacitor.

With the Capacitor removed from the sled - which it currently is - measure the voltage output while cranking over the engine. The positive test leas needs to be secured to the positive terminal that is normally connected to the capacitor, but make sure it cannot inadvertently touch the chassis and short to ground as this will cause a short in the ECM. The negative probe goes to the chassis/frame.

The same test is done by disconnecting each component on the 60 Vdc System. You can do this with or without the capacitor, but the voltage should be higher with a good capacitor.

#22 ·
Pulled a p1562..... Manual doesn't say anything about stator.... They say bad wire loose connection or capacitor...

P1562 is explained in the Troubleshooting and Tech Tips provided to the dealers. There is a LOT of stuff missing from the Shop Manuals not to mention the odd mistakes that are difficult to find. Fortunately we have a copy of one of the Tech Tips in a 2012 Shop Manual that one of the DooTalk members has shared with us. I have those up to 2011, but from 2012 and on we need to get a copy from BRP. There are also Warranty Bulletins that fill other gaps. No joke it is a struggle with only a Shop Manual, not to mention we lack the certification courses that BRP provides the dealer techs.... at least the ones that get sent to take them... There is also a dealer forum which only some techs participate. Those are a lot of reasons to separate the good dealers with poor ones.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
So can someone clarify something, the one part of the stator charges the capacitor, the 2nd part is primary voltage for the cluster and other things and the third is for accessories? If this is true, is it possible to check the voltage at the capacitor with engine running. Kind of like checking to see if an alternator is charging a battery. You would be looking for 50-60 volts...... I will not try this until someone else with more experience chimes in.....

FWIW, it just doesn't make since that the stator is bad because of the smoke that comes from the sled..... My headlights, heated plug , 12v plug heated grips all work fine....

The power from the stator gets regulated by the ECM which has an integrated Voltage Regulator (VR). Below a certain rpm, or while cranking the engine, the VR switches each of the 3 phases of the stator into series to raise the cranking voltage, like connecting three AA batteries into series to raise the voltage for a flashlight. This is the voltage you are currently testing with when cranking over the engine. At very low cranking speed the voltage won't even reach 60 Vdc, but it should rise above 30 Vdc to get enough for the injectors to operate. It is only the injectors that operate at this high DC voltage. All other components powered by the 60 Vdc system get pulsed down. For example the fuel pump works at around 44 Vdc if I remember correctly.

As for the Primary and Secondary 12 Vdc systems, they are not even working until the engine reaches 800 rpm for the Primary 12 Vdc system, and 1900 rpm + 3 seconds to charge the battery. Since this is well above the cranking speed of your testing, you won't need to worry about the 12 Vdc System Voltage nor any components fed off of those circuits.

is it possible to check the voltage at the capacitor with engine running

Absolutely. This is measuring voltage on the 60 Vdc BUS. Since you are drawing a comparison with an alternator on autos, the alternator is a combination of the stator and the VR integrated in the ECM. So you have two things to check when the engine is running, the AC voltage of the 3 stator windings, and the DC voltage on the 60 Vdc BUS.

FWIW, it just doesn't make since that the stator is bad because of the smoke that comes from the sled..... My headlights, heated plug , 12v plug heated grips all work fine..

You make a good point. Something to keep in mind is the current that feeds the 12 Vdc BUS is provided by the 60 Vdc BUS that is stepped down by a DC to DC converter. So if the 60 Vdc BUS is taxed, as long as the voltage is higher than 14 Vdc, then the 12 Vdc BUS can still show the normal ~14 Vdc (say 14.2 to 14.8).

#24 ·
Ok thanks daag.... So I just went and tried to get codes from it and it didn't work, does the sled have to be running in order to get the codes? So if I can't get codes my plan of attack is take capacitor out and visually look and then smell it? Should I check the capacitor charge hold test after that? Plan on working on it a little tonight.... Thanks

I seem to be replying in the reverse order. I see that you did got the codes, so you figured out the sled needed to run to pull the codes. There is another way, but it's more complex without the use of BUDS or a CanDoo.

If you can do both tests in the Shop Manual all the better. There are two tests. The first one is the Capacitor Charge Hold Test which it done with the capacitor connected to the sled. The second one is the Capacitor Residual Voltage Test which is done on a workbench, but requires a 300 ohm / 5W resistor. I don't know where you will get one of those.

Of course you could also take the capacitor out and use a Multimeter. It's not a perfect test without a power source that reaches 60 Vdc or at least a voltage that is near enough. I would use the 12 Vdc battery in the sled to charge the capacitor to see if it can take the voltage, then disconnect the battery to monitor the voltage discharge. I should be good enough to show any obvious problems.

As an alternate to a 300 ohm / 5W resistor which I suspect few would have handy, a 12 Vdc test light or even a 12 Vdc shop light could be used. I don't have a capacitor for the ETEC handy, but I could test with an SDI capacitor if needed. In any case the majority of electrical troubleshooting will show an obvious problem with a relatively easy test.

I hope it helps. From your posts it is a good guess that you can manage quite well with troubleshooting.

#26 ·
I am using the 2012 manual. That's the only one I have..... I took the cover off the capacitor, I'll post those pics.... Daag I haven't read all your posts from last night yet, got up super late this morning and had to get the kids off to school.... I really appreciate your help thus far, this is why I love this site. Take care

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.