Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

2014 etec oil leak

41K views 92 replies 13 participants last post by  jxt035 
#1 ·
Guys: 2014 800 MXZ X. Just noticed a few drops of injector oil under the sled. I can see it dripping from the rear right corner of the skid plate. It is definitely clean injector oil . I can't see any place where it is leaking but have not torn into it yet. Did not overfill the oil last ride, lines to the rave valves look dry as does the tank, top and bottom. Saturday was very rough and we did pound things a bit. Has there been any issue like this reported before on the 800? Never a drop before.

#2 ·
I have had a similar problem over the last 2 weeks. I believe my problem was the oil pump. There are two t25 bolts that hold the halves together. I was able to get about a 1/4 turn on both bolts.

Cleaned everything and ran it in yard with no leaks. Will ride this weekend and report back.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Had the same problem, finding continuing clean oil in the skid panel. Leak was coming from the pump/bottom of the tank. You really need to get the body panels off to get a good look at the leak source, that pump is buried.
Did you replace the pump or the tank to get rid of the leak?

#6 ·
Thanks for the input. Tearing into into it tomorrow. I hope it is not the pump. But, it is not leaking now after sitting a couple of days so I hope that is not a sign of it being a pump. We shall see and I will post back. Sled is moving to a back up role next year but I hate leaks!

#7 ·
So I initially thought it was the overflow line, but after ripping the gas tank off, I clearly see one drop on the bottom screw of the pump. Top two bolts were tight, got an eighth turn on the bottom screw. Doubt that is it, and would just replace the pump if I did not have to screw around with BUDs. We will see....

#9 ·
Sled is all back together. Cleaned the area well. Ran it for 15 minutes. Does not appear to be leaking. I'll take it out tomorrow and see what happens once it gets fully warmed up.
I hope you have better luck than me. I initially only saw and tightened 2 of the bolts. Cleaned and ran it with no leaks.

Put 100 miles on this weekend and its still leaking. No a huge leak where it looks like I'm using more oil than I should for miles put on but making a mess of belly pan.

Oil is dripping from bottom of pump and that's the bolt I didn't tighten during the week. Gonna button it up and clean it again. Can't see oil coming from tank anywhere maybe I'll get lucky.

Reactions: xcrsp440
#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Going through this on my brothers '11 800 Etec. Pump is leaking past the pistons, oil comes out between the pump halves. Tightened the (3) torx screws, still leaks. Got a replacement pump on the way.

Pumps have a single digit code. I believe it is # 1-9. My brothers is #4 so I snagged a used low mileage #4 pump. Might just run the summerization procedure a few times to prime it.

If the code is different, the code must be programmed to the pcm, then the dealer must prime the oil system. Budds software is needed.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Going through this on my brothers '11 800 Etec. Pump is leaking past the pistons, oil comes out between the pump halves. Tightened the (3) torx screws, still leaks. Got a replacement pump on the way.

Pumps have a single digit code. I believe it is # 1-9. My brothers is #4 so I snagged a used low mileage #4 pump. Might just run the summerization procedure a few times to prime it.

If the code is different, the code must be programmed to the pcm, then the dealer must prime the oil system. Budds software is needed.
Good to know! Mine is marked 5. I'll look for one of those.

This looks like a major pain to get the tank out...

#12 ·
Well, just rode 95 miles. Not a drop came out that I can see. I am never the lucky person, but maybe being able to tighten all three screws did the trick. I would just replace the pump to be sure, but i don't have BUDs and going to a dealer is a pain. I'lll probably ride tomorrow and that may be it for the year, so hopefully, my luck holds out.

#15 ·
I have 2014 800 with 1800 miles that is leaking at the pump halves. My question is their a gasket between the halves that can be replaced or gasket making compound that might work instead of buying a replacement pump just for a leak in this location? Or is it like a waterpump when it leaks past the seal and drips out the weep hole it's shot. I tried to tighten the 3 screws but it's leaking.

#16 ·
Boy, sounds like three of us have the exact same thing. I am basically just going to install a new pump, clean my Rave valves and then drag it to the dealer to have them hook it up to BUDs and adjust the exhaust values and prime the pump. What a pain, especially since this will be a back up sled next year. It is like new, so I want to keep it that way but this is the real downside to the ETEC, having to take it to a dealer for simple maintenance items. Anyone find a decent price on a new pump?

#17 ·
I would suggest that the lack of use may have caused the problem on my sled, can't think of any other reason, it only had 1700 miles at the time and sat for 17 months. I replaced the pump on my sled and of course had to take it to the dealer. I don't think your going to find that pump anywhere else and I think it was $329.

#18 ·
I would suggest that the lack of use may have caused the problem on my sled, can't think of any other reason, it only had 1700 miles at the time and sat for 17 months. I replaced the pump on my sled and of course had to take it to the dealer. I don't think your going to find that pump anywhere else and I think it was $329.
Sorry
Im choosing to believe a engineering design fault

#19 ·
Sorry
Im choosing to believe a engineering design fault
Agree. My sled has 4900 miles on it. Consistent use since I bought it new.

Used pumps on Ebay are $150 but you don't really know what you are getting.

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
There are 4 orings for the pump pistons. There is a large black oring for sealing the two halves.

The solenoid has a pin in the center that pushes the Piston assy in/out.

The plastic housing distorts and allows oil to weep past it. The plastic bows between the 3 mounting screws. I installed a slightly thicker oring to make up the gap.

Now off to the dealer tomorrow for pump priming.
75040ef848f7877244d2777e4c3cbd48.jpg