best do everything performance sled? BC XRs vs S/B Assault - REV-GEN 4 - Backcountry/ Freeride - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

best do everything performance sled? BC XRs vs S/B Assault

bacountry switchback assault xrs crossover 850

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SNowPilot

SNowPilot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Sled:ski doo

Posted 25 February 2019 - 02:45 AM

Hey guys,
Coming off a 2009 Renegade X 800R (137x16x1.25), a do everything sled...haul ice fishing gear, boondock, break trail, 2 up and rail the groomed stuff like blair morgan.
compression numbers still solid, so I can probably get another year out of it if i need to. I have less time to ride these days, but I'm often riding in the backcountry solo so that weighs on me.

I am still looking for a do everything sled, and it would seem the backcountry with a 146x16x1.6 would fit the bill with just a little extra flotation. Freerides are a little too off trail i think.
Finally, if i am spending that kinda coin it will be an XRS because i will buy and hold, also still ride aggresive.

I'm not hearing much talk about the 2020 backcountry (seems the Expedition stole the show) but I think they are the same as last years?
Last year reviews said the switchback assault had the edge. Its about $2000(cdn) lighter on the base price too, though i'm not sure how that 850 is doing so far?

I am biased towards ski-doo but trying to cover all my bases. not sure how that polaris 850 did, and the 16 wide track is nice. 

Thanks.

#2 sleddingfarmer

sleddingfarmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6199 posts
  • Sled:'10 1200X

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:02 AM

I haven't heard much about that Polaris 850, but I think it's definitely had more issues than the current Doo 850. It sounds like it has issues with flooding plugs and hard starting, but I haven't heard anything too serious. Although not starting is pretty serious.
If you really want to know how it's going head over to hcs and poke around

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

#3 Valian

Valian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Sled:Bc xrs

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:08 AM

Your not going to hear much bad about the bc-xrs.. everyone who has them including myself LOVE them. Dont worry about magazine reviews if you do you'll wind up with the stellar fusion 900. Listen to the guys. Just read through the forums. You will see what I mean.

#4 Formula800

Formula800

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2330 posts
  • Sled:2020 BCXRS 850

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:38 AM

Fwiw, my buddy has a new assault 144" and has had no issues. I'm gonna ride it this weekend to get a feel for how I might like the bc. The advantage the assault had is it's 42" stance, at least for trail riding, although I've read here the bcxrs at 40" is fine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

#5 srocher

srocher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Sled:2021 Renegade 850 XRS (on order)

Posted 25 February 2019 - 10:12 AM

I have owned an Assault 800 and currently have a BC-XRS.   They are both good sleds.   No real bad decision with either but here is my quick impressions of both.

Motor - My 800 was pretty strong and could hang with a BC850 til WFO.   The BC definitely feels "torquier" than the 800 does/did.  I am sure when Polaris gets the 850 reliability sorted out it will be stronger than the 850 Doo.   

Suspension - BC all the way.   The Assault rode like a lumber wagon.    That was the biggest reason I got rid of it.   

Handling - I would give the nod to the Assault but probably because of the 42" wide stance.    I really think that Doo should offer the BC with a 40/42" front end instead of the 38/40.   The 40 handles "fine" stock for stock, the Assault corners the trails better.  

Fit and finish - Not even close.   Doo all the way.   The switchgear is automotive like and it is just put together better.   The Polaris is not bad but the Doo is soooo much better.   

2020 Renegade 850XRS 

#6 SNowPilot

SNowPilot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Sled:ski doo

Posted 25 February 2019 - 10:25 AM

I forgot that point.....my 09 'gade has the 42" wide stance. I was disappointed when doo went 42" on the trail gade and 40" max on the backcountry. 

why not make a 40-42 wide backcountry with a swaybar quicklink, leave the 38's for the FR?  

as far as I know you can't get a 42 front with a 16 now. ???

#7 renegade backcountry

renegade backcountry

Ride it like ya stole it

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts
  • Interests:snowmobile and MOPARS
  • Sled:2016 BLK 1200X 129" 2015 BLK XRS

Posted 25 February 2019 - 07:58 PM

I'm going with a leftover BC 850 tomorrow can't wait.    big rebates

but I saw a post some where on here that someone changed out the 40" to the 42" an made the BC rail

#8 KrazyCapr

KrazyCapr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Sled:2006 MXZ 600 SDI

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:20 PM

I forgot that point.....my 09 'gade has the 42" wide stance. I was disappointed when doo went 42" on the trail gade and 40" max on the backcountry.

why not make a 40-42 wide backcountry with a swaybar quicklink, leave the 38's for the FR?

as far as I know you can't get a 42 front with a 16 now. ???

Because the Backcountry is a crossover sled 50/50. The wide front end and seat is exactly why I dumped my Assault. It baffles me why anyone buys a BC and widens the front end. Just buy a Renegade they are cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bacountry, switchback, assault, xrs, crossover, 850

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users