Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Bad Stator? 2008 800r

32K views 610 replies 20 participants last post by  Daag44 
#1 ·
Just did a top end rebuild on my engine, so it was out of the sled. The ground cable on the mag side engine mount was frayed a bit. I was going to try to run it and see if I had any issues. My lights were dimmed at idle, at around 3000rpm they would brighten up to what I think was the proper brightness. So I replaced the ground cable with 6 gauge copper, much stronger and won't fray. Still the lights aren't as bright at idle.

When I took the sled for the first ride as well I had my hand warmers on and I noticed my lights weren't that bright, I switched off the hand warmers and they got brighter. When I was cruising around 5-6k rpm my hand warmers weren't working. I didn't rode the sled before I did the rebuild so I'm not sure if the rebuild may have something to do with it or not.

I didn't get any replies on my previous post about this issue, but on another forum someone told me it is likely a bad stator. I have yet to go through all my electrical connections and determine anything. I don't have any diagnostic electric equipment either so I don't have a way of measuring my stator output. The only thing I can think of is maybe the wires to the stator got damaged while routing the hoses/wiring when installing the engine, or maybe the plug that the 3 wires from the stator plug into are damaged, I had a hell of a time getting the 3 yellow wires out when removing the engine.
1a2efea2719ece5643181d205e2245e1.jpg
99e57e3057562a656f6d744e83df2902.jpg
1a2efea2719ece5643181d205e2245e1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
Go through all the connections with a fine toothed comb to make sure there is no corrosion and the terminals don't look burnt. Also make sure they are fully plugged in.

Do yourself a favor and buy a multimeter. They can usually be found pretty cheap. Once you have that you at least will have a tool you can use to correctly trouble shoot the problem.

#4 ·
Unplug stator, using multimeter test resistance phase to phase of all combinations of wire, should all be same result or very close, then test them all to ground, should be open. Then set meter to ac volts and test between all combinations of leads again but while cranking, forget the spec but should all be the same

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Did you remove the Stator from the block, Did you Re-Goo it on the back side?

Ours was full of RTV from the factory, keeps the stator from grounding. Also check the connection to the VR, ours had a broken nub and did not fully connect.

Also the 3 yellow wire need to be in the connector real good.

GutZ

#7 ·
Did you remove the Stator from the block, Did you Re-Goo it on the back side?
Ours was full of RTV from the factory, keeps the stator from grounding. Also check the connection to the VR, ours had a broken nub and did not fully connect.
Also the 3 yellow wire need to be in the connector real good.
GutZ
Yeah I did remove the stator, didn't re-shmoo it lol. I don't recall there being any on the stator, just the pickups

#8 ·
The three yellow wires were in good, I recall when I installed them to make sure they "clicked" in. I cleaned the contacts with some contact cleaner because of some shmoo on them. I will hook it up tomorrow and test.
9ccee9f08bddf16d1a47449506804cb9.jpg
2e34e7da2098e9ad943cff7307018154.jpg
1db0902274cff211da8d6fdabf4e887b.jpg

Also a small piece of plastic broken off of the connector that is beside a contact.
eb2423712d3b86b64c7442f2509c2203.jpg
Would the broken off plastic cause a bad connection? The rubber seal for the connector wasn't on correctly as well. I'm wondering if it may have stopped the connector from getting a good connection. I would go through all the connections tonight but it's currently -32 and -45 with the wind chill. And I'm using a propane heater to heat my poorly insulated "garage". LOL
12f7aa13f1155fe7a1c796ea508f8581.jpg

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Would the broken off plastic cause a bad connection?

- I doubt it from what I'm seeing in the picture.

The rubber seal for the connector wasn't on correctly as well. I'm wondering if it may have stopped the connector from getting a good connection.

- This one seems plausible.

I would go through all the connections tonight but it's currently -32 and -45 with the wind chill. And I'm using a propane heater to heat my poorly insulated "garage". LOL

- Working on the electrical when it's cold is a real pain. Keep plugging away at it. I think you are getting warmer :p

#10 ·
Hooked the connector back up. I didn't hear an audible "click" sound but I couldnt pull it out so I believe that it is connected good. The seal was seated correctly as well.
3d15ece8328a90a24a668cffe6d46270.jpg
2b503ee9ff7a392a38f3f64e5e905b81.jpg
still having issues
fc3ba4d4ebdda9e82d80d6a81919c600.jpg
211cbf8a72ab576c42b486cd9f9d91ba.jpg
98a43ffcbe85232adf3ccc534dd3b292.jpg
a54b636fc65ea0df500435cb6285aaba.jpg
Tried to show in the pictures that the headlights are brighter when the rpm climbs.

I have an exam tomorrow so gonna study for the rest of today, then get back working on it tomorrow. I guess just going through all the connections. I'll see about getting a multimeter to measure the stator, I'm still concerned about one of the wires having a weak connection to it.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Did you ever consider that there may be excessive draws like shorted out hand warmers that are causing an over-draw to the stator?

Once the stator is tested then you should keep that in mind. It could just be a short elsewhere that's causing the issues.

If you send me your email address I can give you access to my complete BRP service manual for the 2008 sleds. It will give you all the testing procedures and resistance readings.

Reactions: Flemingo
#12 ·
Did you ever consider that there may be excessive draws like shorted out hand warmers that are causing an over-draw to the stator?
Once the stator is tested then you should keep that in mind. It could just be a short elsewhere that's causing the issues.

If you send me your email address I can give you access to my complete BRP service manual for the 2008 sleds. It will give you all the testing procedures and resistance readings.
Im gonna test the stator tomorrow and go over all the connections tonight. I have the service manual already. Thanks

#16 ·
The stator resistance tested good. I am going to need help with the stator output, stator insulation and dc voltage output (voltage regulator) tests so I'm going to get a buddy to help me with those after work.

On the diagnostic connector for the voltage regulator there was some oil and other shmoo so that could mean something I suppose. One thing I also think could be an issue is a 12v outlet that is on the sled. I had to disconnect it when removing the dash and I didn't note which wire went where. On installation I put the red wire to the + and the black to the -. I know it's stupid to "ask" about but I just want to make sure I don't make any mistakes.

Is there any other tests that I need to do? And will the tests that I'm doing determine if the stator connector has a good connection or not?

#19 ·
Got a buddy to come help with the voltage regular test. Can't get a good reading. I have the multi meter set to 20 V DC and I am getting 8-9 at idle. When I speed the engine to 5000rpm the screen goes blank. Probe is on the red/blue wire in the diagnostic connector and the black is on a skid bolt for a ground. I also got a check engine light for like 10 seconds right after startup which I have no idea about.
7f1286b66b34be640e4ed394bcfaeab7.jpg
10dcbbaae96df54c145a25154d537f77.jpg
0bcb3295cc24100b372ff9ff8027b9bd.jpg

#22 ·
I was able to disconnect the stator connector without depressing the clip, so it isn't connected properly. I tested the stator output with my multi meter at 200 on AC and got 1.6, 2.0 and 0.6. When testing the numbers are always not clear, so I don't know if my tests are accurate or not. Don't know if I'm using my multi meter on the correct settings either.

#23 ·
The picture showing your multi meter has the dial on 20 Vdc. I imagine that you have since moved it to 200 Vac with the squiggly line otherwise you wouldn't have gotten those numbers. You can also apply heat to the stator to see if the numbers drop. So far the numbers don't look promising with one phase measuring 0.6 Vac.

#24 ·
The picture showing your multi meter has the dial on 20 Vdc. I imagine that you have since moved it to 200 Vac with the squiggly line otherwise you wouldn't have gotten those numbers. You can also apply heat to the stator to see if the numbers drop. So far the numbers don't look promising with one phase measuring 0.6 Vac.
do you think the connector is an issue it is really frustrating me

#25 ·
Maybe the stator wires got ripped off the stator when routing the engine.

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
do you think the connector is an issue it is really frustrating me

It is possible. A visual check of the terminals is usually enough too root out most problems. Some of the wire strands may be broken or a failing crimp. Ideally we would have a spin bench with AC load to better test the stator. What we are doing is using the sled as a spin bench. It works, but it can be frustrating without a bridge harness to make things easier to reach and test.

Try a small incandescent light, like a 12 Vdc test light. Same test as with the multimeter, test all 3 pairs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.