Grip N Rip Clutch Alignment testing - Page 10 - REV-GEN 4 - MXZ Performance Trail 129/ Renegade 137 - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

Grip N Rip Clutch Alignment testing

• Please log in to reply
271 replies to this topic

#136 Rotax_Kid

Rotax_Kid

Ukranian Mafia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5521 posts
  • Sled:SummiTNT MCX 1200

Posted 06 January 2019 - 08:46 PM

That is not uncommon even with a plunge gauge. When putting it under load and checking at different amounts of the load the numbers can bounce from right to left bias quite often, where they end up at whatever load amount you choose is somewhat  random.
The big benefit in temp is the offset

I only would believe the numbers once I had some consistency and repeatability. Biggest advice I can give to anyone doing this is be methodical and consistent. If you don't you'll be guessimg on the variation between numbers.

I mentioned plunge gauge for the reason of keeping the measurement tool completely perpendicular. Would atleast minimize one variable. Thanks to everyone else who posted..was a big help in reading before doing this.
Deep Down we all Pee Yellow....-------------09 Summit 1200 Sold - Regretting selling...14 Summit SP 154 800 with help - Nice but missing whistle..16 900 with whistle...

#137 bollpie20

bollpie20

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Sled:2019 Renegade 850 XRS

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:10 PM

Quick question on this...after shimming the secondary what is the torque specs on the bolt inside chain case? (Used c&t tool) and also the torque spec for the primary clutch bolt where you attach the alignment tool to? Finishing up my alignment and want to make sure all is good!!

#138 snopro734

snopro734

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Sled:XRS

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:19 PM

Quick question on this...after shimming the secondary what is the torque specs on the bolt inside chain case? (Used c&t tool) and also the torque spec for the primary clutch bolt where you attach the alignment tool to? Finishing up my alignment and want to make sure all is good!!

Believe top gear bolt is 35 ft lbs, primary clutch bolt specs are on your clutch guard. But, 85-92 ft lbs comes to mind.

#139 17 fast

17 fast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:snow
  • Sled:2017 850

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:09 PM

38 ft lbs, and 89 clutch.

#140 Gin la pine

Gin la pine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  • Sled:2020 xpert 154

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:10 AM

Oh well got cold clutch i would say now and blew another 531 yesterday at about 150km mark...dealer bringin a 571 thismorning will give it a go after work.... conditions are awesome right now pretty much everywhere in quebec...Peeled top left section once again after ALL the updates avalaible right now....Dint touched alignement yet...

#141 npickle12

npickle12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts
  • Sled:2018 XRS 850, 2009 770 RS

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:04 AM

Align the friggen thing with the gnr kit. Ski doo doesn’t know what they are doing with these bandaid updates.

After aligning mine and shimming the secondary I’ve noticed a big difference in clutch temps. Sled seems to mph a bit better too.

The reduction in belt dust is the BIGGEST improvement. That tells you something without a even measuring temps.

#142 850Gage

850Gage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Sled:2020 Freeride, 2017 Renegade

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:17 AM

I've ordered the GnR alignment tool, polly stopper, 1 shim kit, 2ndary gear tool, primary holder tool and a 30 pack of PBR! :Cheers  Held off on QRS shim until I know their needed.  I have not had a belt go yet but I do have a significant amount of belt dust.  1050 (easier) :blush_old:  trail miles on original 391. 

Out of curiosity, how many have needed to shim the rear PTO mount?       

#143 Jeb©

Jeb©

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 8061 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Snowmobiling
  • Sled:2019 850 x, 2015 600 etec

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:35 AM

I've ordered the GnR alignment tool, polly stopper, 1 shim kit, 2ndary gear tool, primary holder tool and a 30 pack of PBR! :Cheers  Held off on QRS shim until I know their needed.  I have not had a belt go yet but I do have a significant amount of belt dust.  1050 (easier) :blush_old:  trail miles on original 391. 

Out of curiosity, how many have needed to shim the rear PTO mount?       

Qrs shim will probably be the 1st thing you need and the cheapest.

• djm likes this
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." � Thomas Jefferson

#144 djm

djm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13602 posts
  • Sled:09 700HO TNT, 11 Summit 770HO, 850 Sum X

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:15 PM

Align the friggen thing with the gnr kit. Ski doo doesn’t know what they are doing with these bandaid updates.

After aligning mine and shimming the secondary I’ve noticed a big difference in clutch temps. Sled seems to mph a bit better too.

The reduction in belt dust is the BIGGEST improvement. That tells you something without a even measuring temps.

Being an engineer you know you don't mean that when you make that last half of your first statement.   As has been discussed many times before, one has to look at the history where sled clutch belt alignment has come from.   When they basically took it out of the hands of dealers and mechanics with the Rev followed by the XP and subsequently XS and XM.... they use one 4 way and two way locators such that the belts are essentially non adjusable.  I am sure they had much more favorable belt life and fewer issues with this system over the years.   As they went to the bigger longer stroked 850 they floated it a bit more and came up with the clever offset balance clutch.   And they are learning.. and reacting as quick as a large corporation can. 

But I agree, one should be proactive.. if he enjoys sleds and has a modicum of knowledge.    I suspect that the tools and parts that Grip and Rip have come up with are the best way to handle the tolerance stack up of the current Gen 4 drive system for a person with some skills.   By the same token I doubt Ski-Doo as a corporation wants to go back to a mechanic adjusted belt alignment for the long term.  Although in this case the tolerance stackups may force them that way.   

By the same token Tim and Carey are sharp people.. and work with some more sharp people.   When and where there is a need, they have stepped in and filled that need.  

Alignment, belt strength/durabilty and ventilation/cooling ... have always been needed since the first CVT sled was sold and it still is today - amazing huh?    I floated, shimmed and vented my 2017 when I got it 3 years ago and have yet to have a belt issue.  

I take my hat off to Ski-Doo for the most enjoyable sled I have ever had and I doff it to the Grip and Rip team too.  They make a super product for those that are at the extremes of the doo tolerances.   :righton

Edited by djm, 11 January 2019 - 08:57 PM.

#145 airwolf

airwolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Sled:2019 850 Renegade XRS, 18 XRS 850

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:48 PM

2019 Renegade XRS

Motor mount Update

Poly Washer

3 PTO shims

2 Mag Shims

Mag plate drilled and pushed forward

still need to shim QRS

Edited by airwolf, 13 January 2019 - 07:38 AM.

#146 Flydanner

Flydanner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Sled:2018 Summit

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:12 PM

Engine mount torque stop
3 PTO shims
1 Mag shim
Mag plate drilled
1.5 mm QRS shim

#147 AlanLaporte

AlanLaporte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:Sledding
    869hp gt500
  • Sled:2018 xrs renegade 2018 Bcx 2020 Bcxrs

Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:40 AM

After aligning with gnr I got almost 1000 miles out of a belt.  Before was 1500.  The issue, lots of drags, lots of hill climbs.  When I blew I was breaking trail in 2ft of powder and lots of drifts using lots of on off throttle. Couple hours of abuse.  The primary was scalding hot secondary just warm.  NOt the alignment just no cool air and not letting things cool down.

#148 Couch1

Couch1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1941 posts
  • Sled:2019 Mxz Blizzard 600R

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:35 AM

After aligning with gnr I got almost 1000 miles out of a belt. Before was 1500. The issue, lots of drags, lots of hill climbs. When I blew I was breaking trail in 2ft of powder and lots of drifts using lots of on off throttle. Couple hours of abuse. The primary was scalding hot secondary just warm. NOt the alignment just no cool air and not letting things cool down.

So it got worse with alignment?

#149 Trippy

Trippy

Armchair Interweb Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102508 posts
  • Interests:Sticking forks in outlets
    Making PBJ sammiches for the crew
    Polluting the woods with Klotz
  • Sled:Summit G4 165x3 w/ Boondocker turbo

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:54 AM

2f1519d3a1d5dfa410e94fb0cef561ea.jpg

Pops

d307dab5538d7653da7eb8e7f480cc91.jpg

Mine

#150 AlanLaporte

AlanLaporte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:Sledding
    869hp gt500
  • Sled:2018 xrs renegade 2018 Bcx 2020 Bcxrs

Posted 13 January 2019 - 08:45 AM

So it got worse with alignment?

I did for this belt life.  Will see when the next belt goes.  I was abusing it bad how ever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users