Realistic engine life ( Miles ) for an 800 E Tec motor - REV-XP / XS Chassis - Renegades / Freeride / Backcountry - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

Realistic engine life ( Miles ) for an 800 E Tec motor

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Sumrof69

Sumrof69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2585 posts
  • Interests:Being a Grampa, Sledding, Flying. Building aircraft, Vintage Sled's, Travelling to new places
  • Sled:2016 MXZX 800 R Renegade

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:52 PM

A sled deal came up that i am interested in, Not a new sled, 5 year's old, but it's a one owner, XRS, bought new, and well maintained, almost spotless, the owner really looked after it.

I know 800'S,  have their horror stories, and i know this subject has been beat to death on here, but it seem's conflicting , one guy blow's up with only 3000 and another guy is passing 10,000. Ya how we look after thing's play's a factor.

But really guy's, what are you hoping for out of your 800, or are these e tec motor's on borrowed time after 5000.

Going to look at this sled on the weekend, it has 6000 miles on it, 150 in both jug's, run's awesome, but i'm concerned about the miles.

#2 barski

barski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Sled:14 MXZ X 800 Etec

Posted 09 March 2018 - 02:19 PM

I've yet to make it 3500 miles before they blow up. I've had 3 engines go on me so far. 2 different sleds. 

2 others I ride with blew up this year, one with 2300 miles on. the other with 4600 miles

Another guy i know blew up with around 3300 miles on

Put it this way, out of everyone I know with a 800 etec NONE have made it past 5,000 miles on a motor 

#3 Renedoo

Renedoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Interests:Sledding, Fishing, and Sports
  • Sled:2017 MXZ 1200

Posted 09 March 2018 - 02:24 PM

Had a 15 BCX with 6500 miles on it and no issues. Rode with several who log close to 10,000 miles without issues. XPS oil, premium gas, let em warm up before riding, and they last.

#4 mcmrk

mcmrk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
  • Interests:snowmobiling
  • Sled:15.GadeXRS, 2020.SKS.146, 2022 ????

Posted 09 March 2018 - 02:26 PM

I've yet to make it 3500 miles before they blow up. I've had 3 engines go on me so far. 2 different sleds. 

2 others I ride with blew up this year, one with 2300 miles on. the other with 4600 miles

Another guy i know blew up with around 3300 miles on

Put it this way, out of everyone I know with a 800 etec NONE have made it past 5,000 miles on a motor 

Wow,  If I needed a new motor every 3,000 miles I think I'd have to give up snowmobiling, or pick a new brand.

#5 FR8DAWG

FR8DAWG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Sled:2017 Renegade Enduro 800R ETEC

Posted 09 March 2018 - 03:05 PM

Honestly, I’ve been reading and researching a lot about them before I bought mine. Here’s how I feel. First, depends on maintenance and care. And second, when people buy and 800, it’s generally for the power and speed. As such, those that feel the need for those things will generally push it to the limit more often which equates to more stress. More racing, extreme high speed runs, over revving, etc. People generally don’t buy it for normal trail riding. So point being, I think it’s the general demographic of people who own the 800s to use them harder and faster and therefore they get worn out sooner.

It’s not always what the data shows, but what’s driving the reason behind the data. I believe that’s why you see such a large difference in engine life expectancy. Notice the people that have blown one at low mileage often experience this more than once. Bad luck or riding style?

So really depends on how it was used/cared for and what you plan to do with it. To me, there are a lot of simple signs when looking at used stuff that can give you insight into the owners personality. Amount and type of aftermarket stuff, condition of garage and other vehicles, age, etc.

Sorry, long winded but that’s how I would approach this.

#6 Killer-Beez

Killer-Beez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2922 posts
  • Sled:2007 Renegade

Posted 09 March 2018 - 03:17 PM

^^^ X2

This sled has made it 6000 Mile's on the original engine correct? If that's the case the guy didn't run it pinned for the bulk of its life. At 6000 miles I'd almost rather see that it's had a recent rebuild.
JMO, but I'd say chances are very good in the next 1500 miles or so the motor is gonna need a refresh.

#7 barski

barski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Sled:14 MXZ X 800 Etec

Posted 09 March 2018 - 03:27 PM

Wow,  If I needed a new motor every 3,000 miles I think I'd have to give up snowmobiling, or pick a new brand.

I've been told these same words by a handful of sledders. Thinking it's time to see how reliable the new 850 from polaris is :)

#8 snow dance

snow dance

True happiness is never trying a sled better than your own.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14562 posts
  • Interests:I have no interest.Take a hint.Really,quit creeping my profile.It's all lies anyway.
  • Sled:GT Snowracer with sweet graphics

Posted 09 March 2018 - 03:35 PM

A sled deal came up that i am interested in, Not a new sled, 5 year's old, but it's a one owner, XRS, bought new, and well maintained, almost spotless, the owner really looked after it.

I know 800'S,  have their horror stories, and i know this subject has been beat to death on here, but it seem's conflicting , one guy blow's up with only 3000 and another guy is passing 10,000. Ya how we look after thing's play's a factor.

But really guy's, what are you hoping for out of your 800, or are these e tec motor's on borrowed time after 5000.

Going to look at this sled on the weekend, it has 6000 miles on it, 150 in both jug's, run's awesome, but i'm concerned about the miles.

I would factor in a top end refresh. I think the bottom is fine for a while. There are deals popping up. Maybe pm me your budget and what you want as I cruise the classifieds several times a day,

Sent from the Locomotive on the Leaf's Bandwagon Train. Go Leafs!

#9 dooman133

dooman133

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:MX and Snowmobiling
    Any thing racing
  • Sled:2014 Gade 800 X

Posted 09 March 2018 - 06:29 PM

My 14 renegade x has 9400 miles, 0 issues

Toy Box
2014 Renegade 800 x
2014 GSX 600 etec (wife's sled)
2006 CR 250
2015 Honda Goldwing 40th anniversary
1974 CR 125

#10 Judge64

Judge64

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 6166 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling
    RV'ing
    Traveling
  • Sled:Blizzard 900, TNT 900, Enduro 900

Posted 09 March 2018 - 06:40 PM

While there are guys that have gotten over 10,000 miles on the 800 there are guys that only got 3,000. Before I switched to 4-strokes, I sold all my sleds when they hit 5000 miles, including 600 and 800 ETEC's, because I didn't want to deal with rebuilds or a possible failure.

There are a lot of factors when it comes to 2-stroke reliability beyond manufacturing defects regardless of the manufacturer...

- Adequate warm-up before running hard

- Adequate cool-down before shutting down after hard runs

- Quality fuel

- Quality injector oil

- Adequate overall cooling

- No air leaks

- Constantly running WOT

There will always the potential for a failure due to bad gas, lubrication issues, an air leak, etc in a 2-stroke. If you want the power of a 2-stroke, you have to play a little Russian Roulette.

#11 mark32786

mark32786

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Sled:17 "edit for bad language" kitty. 04 mxz 600

Posted 09 March 2018 - 06:51 PM

i Guess the real question is can you get it cheap enough to justify a new motor if it comes to it? Never ran any brand past 5k with out a top end. If it’s cheap enough and you have the know how buy it rebuild it and ride it.

Another question is how long you plan on keeping it? Resale isn’t going to be high if you ride 2-3k and try and sell it regardless of what you do so keep that in mind when you buy

#12 Betsy30

Betsy30

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling,Dualsport bikes, Atv's and camping
  • Sled:2019 XRS Renegade 850

Posted 09 March 2018 - 07:22 PM

Roughly 7000 miles on my 16 800 xrs with 0 motor issues. If I keep it after this year I will put new pistons and rings in it, but the new back country xrs has grabbed my attention so I'm considering snow checking it.

#13 przes1

przes1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Sled:2008 mx-z Renegade-2016 Freeride 137

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:58 PM

My 16 Freeride has 7300 miles on it with no issues

#14 poffjos1

poffjos1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Sled:2013 Renegade X 800 etec

Posted 10 March 2018 - 05:17 AM

I'm a victim of 3,700 miles and she blew up. It's honestly a crap shoot. Yes sled was always ran with proper oil and let it do it's warm up every start up. I know a few different people who have put over 10,000 on them no issues. 6,000 miles is high but for the right price it's worth checking out. If you don't mind me asking what is he want for it?
Ski-doo

V force 3, MBRP

#15 Dubweiser

Dubweiser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Sled:2013 Renegade 600

Posted 11 March 2018 - 03:41 PM

I've been told these same words by a handful of sledders. Thinking it's time to see how reliable the new 850 from polaris is :)

that's funny....polaris reliable....good one !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users