2016 Summit SP Bent Handlebars - REV-XP / XM Chassis - Mountain Sleds - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

2016 Summit SP Bent Handlebars

handlebars 2016 summit sp xm replacement

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gettinoutthere

gettinoutthere

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Sled:2015/16 Summit SP 800s

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:53 PM

Hey guys. Bent the bars on my 2016 Summit SP.  I'd like to avoid the shop and realistically I don't think I'll be able to successfully swap out the heaters and grips. What my best move here? Is it much simpler if I just order new heaters and grips along with new bars? Or is that still hard to do? Anyone have bars with the heaters and grips still on that they want to sell? Any advice or good news would be appreciated!

Edited by gettinoutthere, 08 February 2018 - 09:50 PM.

#2 GZ22

GZ22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Sled:700

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:38 AM

I just did this on my 2013 Summit.  I just used the wife's hair dryer and with some patience you can gently peel the heaters and the cork off the old bars.   Take note to the way they used electric tape to hold the ends of the heaters on as well as seal the bar-end.  Use an air compressor and a blower nozzle on the hole in the end of your grips and they will pop right off. Use the same method to put the old grips back on, but it's quite a push so have a buddy or use a vice or something to hold the new bars as you press the grips back onto your bars while simultaneously blasting compressed air through the grips.   These grips are to go on dry with no glue.  

Oh and the pins do remove nicely out of the electric plug under the bar pad once you know how they work. Lift the hatch by releasing the latches on each side, then under the pin you are releasing just press a very small flat screwdriver under the pin and lift as you gently pull the wire out.  I found a youtube video that showed how they are held in.  its  a little finicky until you do it once.

Hope this helps!

#3 ilovemyskidog

ilovemyskidog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25833 posts
  • Location:S Central Wis.The land of cow s--t and beer farts !
  • Sled:2019 X G4 165-3

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:58 AM

Hey guys. Bent the bars on my 2016 Summit SP.  I'd like to avoid the shop and realistically I don't think I'll be able to successfully swap out the heaters and grips. What my best move here? Is it much simpler if I just order new heaters and grips along with new bars? Or is that still hard to do? Anyone have bars with the heaters and grips still on that they want to sell? Any advice or good news would be appreciated!

Dive into it !

You need help ,ask ...someone will be more than willing to help ya through it .Its not bad at all .

Search ,study ,then tackle it !

Welcome to DooTalk

2019 X G4 165-3
2007 MXZ 600 SDI
2005 Rev Renegade 600 SDI

#4 Trippy

Trippy

Armchair Interweb Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102508 posts
  • Interests:Sticking forks in outlets
    Making PBJ sammiches for the crew
    Polluting the woods with Klotz
  • Sled:Summit G4 165x3 w/ Boondocker turbo

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:25 AM

Buy a set of Cheetah Factory Racing bars and never worry about bending bars again.

Replacing the grips and heaters isn’t a big deal

#5 Jason537

Jason537

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Sled:2015 Summit XM 154"

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:05 PM

Buy a set of Cheetah Factory Racing bars and never worry about bending bars again.

Replacing the grips and heaters isn’t a big deal

Yup, I bent my SP bars awhile back and went to a shorter riser and the Cheetah Boondocker 2.0 bars and never looked back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users