Amsoil in the 850 - REV-GEN 4 - MXZ Performance Trail 129/ Renegade 137 - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

Amsoil in the 850

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 iam_canadian22

iam_canadian22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1720 posts
  • Sled:2006 mxzx 440/700

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:49 PM

Ill be ordering an 850 in the spring and im wondering if its picky with oil. Ive got quite a bit of interceptor laying around that id like to use up and continue using as i get it at a good price.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
06 SKI DOO MXZX 440/700
-rktek head, dj clutch kit, xp t-stat setup
10 YAMAHA YFZ 450R SE, sold
-msd FI, JSR exhaust, mmad ported head, mmad warpspeed intake cam, fuel customs intake,venom piston
2012 Nissan Titan Pro4X CC

#2 ajmac

ajmac

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 422 posts
  • Sled:18 MXZ XRS 850

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:58 PM

I have the extended warranty on my 18 XRS and had to sign a disclaimer that I would only use XPS oil during the extended warranty period.

Edited by ajmac, 08 January 2018 - 02:59 PM.

18 MXZ XRS 850
15 Renegade X 1200

11 Grand Touring SE 1200  

08 GTX Limited 600

05 GTX 600

08 GTX 550F sold
07 GTX 500 SS sold
97 Grand Touring 500F sold
96 Touring 380F sold

AWSC Member

Doo you you, feel like I Doo

#3 agiorgiojr69

agiorgiojr69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Sled:2018 Skidoo MXZ XRS

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:18 PM

Ill be ordering an 850 in the spring and im wondering if its picky with oil. Ive got quite a bit of interceptor laying around that id like to use up and continue using as i get it at a good price.

The amount of money that these machines now cost should be in consideration when you're looking to save a few dollars on oil that's laying around. I agree that if the manufacturer has the final word on whether or not they will cover anything under warranty spend the extra few dollars so that they don't have an out if something stream happens. They will search for an out if it cost them money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

#4 Doo600800

Doo600800

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Sled:08 GSX Limited 800r and 600 sdi

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:28 PM

That AMSOIL Interceptor you have laying around is probably the best oil you can buy for it.   But if you have one under warranty I would probably put the BRP stuff in there so they don't dispute any warranty claim as mentioned...even though they shouldn't be able to.   Meets or exceeds manufacturer specs.

#5 iam_canadian22

iam_canadian22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1720 posts
  • Sled:2006 mxzx 440/700

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:37 PM

That AMSOIL Interceptor you have laying around is probably the best oil you can buy for it. But if you have one under warranty I would probably put the BRP stuff in there so they don't dispute any warranty claim as mentioned...even though they shouldn't be able to. Meets or exceeds manufacturer specs.

Thanks, they've had that disclamer for a long time as do most manufactuers and i get the reasoning. Ive got a great dealer so i wouldnt be worried about the warranty side of it.

06 SKI DOO MXZX 440/700
-rktek head, dj clutch kit, xp t-stat setup
10 YAMAHA YFZ 450R SE, sold
-msd FI, JSR exhaust, mmad ported head, mmad warpspeed intake cam, fuel customs intake,venom piston
2012 Nissan Titan Pro4X CC

#6 MX-Z Man

MX-Z Man

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 27740 posts
  • Sled:'19 850X, Outlander 650XT, & Defender XT

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:44 PM

That AMSOIL Interceptor you have laying around is probably the best oil you can buy for it.   But if you have one under warranty I would probably put the BRP stuff in there so they don't dispute any warranty claim as mentioned...even though they shouldn't be able to.   Meets or exceeds manufacturer specs.

Serious question, can you show me the spec for just XPS oil? 

Everyone always says it meets or exceeds specs, yet they never have the spec it's supposed to meet or exceed. 

With that said, I agree on using XPS oil. It 100% eliminates any finger pointing should something ever happen. 

gallery_5_57_615.jpg

The XP was the most fun sled ever made - but I liked my XR more. The 850 takes it to a whole different level. 

No Need to Freeze-buy a set of these! http://www.coldguards.com/

#7 GHOSTRIDER

GHOSTRIDER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1609 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:48 PM

all I run is amsoil, had a 17 and 900 miles on my 18 now

#8 minirips2

minirips2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Interests:Sledding. Never mind the brand...
    Aviation
    Shooting sports
  • Sled:2006 600SDI Renegade MX Z

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:15 PM

A couple years ago I was getting some oil (the blue mineral oil. Good stuff) at my Polaris dealer. He thanked me for my business, then mentioned if they submit a warranty claim for a blown engine, Polaris wanted a sample of oil taken from the oil pump, which will prove what the engine was running on when it died. That made me think a bit!

I have a friend who runs nothing but Interceptor in his old Rev, and he has never had an issue. I think Amsoil makes good oil. I don't think you'll have any issues arise from running it, but like others have said, it may be an out for BRP in the event of a warranty issue. Remember the big outcry when BRP first claimed 15% less oil use on the 850, then backed down from that claim when they stated that they have no control over what oil people use and put oil consumption on par with the 800? So you can read that either of two ways. One; The 850 really cares what oil is in it, or two; they already upped the oil mixture on it, so does it even matter if you run some other oil as long as it's full synthetic?

The choice is up to each individual. Frankly, oil to gearheads is like religion. That's why I'll gladly give my views on it, but won't question anyone else's.

#9 postman24

postman24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Sled:2021 Ski-Doo MXZ X 850 Etec

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:46 PM

Amsoil Interceptor will work just fine in all the Etecs. I've used both the Amsoil and Doo synthetic with NO problems in both 600 and 800/850 sleds for years, The Amsoil is as good if not better than the Doo synthetic. It is all about money! Same thing with requiring only Woody's studs on the tracks when they are several other stud brands that will do just fine if not better. Doo knows this too, they just want more profit with their products, can't blame them.

#10 Trail Ryder

Trail Ryder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3121 posts
  • Interests:Dirt Bikes and Snowmobiling
  • Sled:2014 XRS 800 ETEC with Quick Adjust

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:15 PM

AMSOil Interceptor is good stuff and is about $46 per gallon (on sale).  And XPS full synthetic can be had for same price if not less.

I am not sure what the advantage AMSOil offers over XPS though .... it certainly is not cost savings.

'14 XRS 797 w/QA
'06 MXZ 597 Adrenaline X - Wife's
'08 Venture GT - PaPa's

'18 KTM 250 XCW (NY Street Plated 2-Stroke)

Long gone:

'13 T'NT 594

'09 T'NT 597

'08 T'NT 597

'05 MXZ 597

#11 MX-Z Man

MX-Z Man

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 27740 posts
  • Sled:'19 850X, Outlander 650XT, & Defender XT

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:34 PM

Amsoil Interceptor will work just fine in all the Etecs. I've used both the Amsoil and Doo synthetic with NO problems in both 600 and 800/850 sleds for years, The Amsoil is as good if not better than the Doo synthetic. It is all about money! Same thing with requiring only Woody's studs on the tracks when they are several other stud brands that will do just fine if not better. Doo knows this too, they just want more profit with their products, can't blame them.

You are correct!

Amsoil is as good or better than Doo oil! It's true! I have not one shred of evidence to back up that claim but I read it on the internet so it must be true!

Everybody knows with Doo oil it's all about the money. Amsoil on the other hand also sells...oh wait, thats right, they only sell oil. Hmmm...I wonder if it's all about the money with Amsoil too??? Nahh, can't be - only Doo would do that. Amsoil is only in it for World Peace and puppies, and how can you not support puppies. :rolleyes:

No thanks, I'll keep using XPS oil.

gallery_5_57_615.jpg

The XP was the most fun sled ever made - but I liked my XR more. The 850 takes it to a whole different level. 

No Need to Freeze-buy a set of these! http://www.coldguards.com/

#12 BARK-A-LOUNGER

BARK-A-LOUNGER

Scuttle Buttin' Solo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64519 posts
  • Sled:Malcolm... 2015 MXZ-X 800 e-tec

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:40 PM

I am not sure what the advantage AMSOil offers over XPS though .... it certainly is not cost savings.

nor nose savings........ :rolleyes:

2015 MXZ-X 800 e-tec........

100/290 Primary Spring.... 26/45 Gearing....

120" Ripsaw Track.... 84 Studs.... Gates Belt

Sleds name is Malcolm ......

#13 krm

krm

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 17475 posts
  • Interests:building/racing sleds krm 432 driver graham coombs ,brandon colgin ,brett burns #217 moto cross ,Pro stk dirt cars ,Ken Martin Driver
  • Sled:,19 900t 20,850xrs 21 850x21900t x

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:52 PM

Take a high mileage motor apart thats been running Amsoil .,It will still have the cross hone marks in the cylinders .This means the rings don't seat ,and then the motor makes no real power . :wink_old:

#14 Driggs

Driggs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5155 posts
  • Sled:1977 Rupp 440 Nitro

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:05 PM

Take a high mileage motor apart thats been running Amsoil .,It will still have the cross hone marks in the cylinders .This means the rings don't seat ,and then the motor makes no real power . :wink_old:

:grinch

#15 moparman7367

moparman7367

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1410 posts
  • Sled:Mxz X 1200

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:33 PM

Ask my buddy whos been running it for a few years now since a buddy of his was a distributor.   Went to take out the power valves to clean them and could not remove them they were so gummed up.   No thanks.

Opinions are like butt holes......Everyone has one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users