New ProLine SNO 714 on the way. Excited! - Page 9 - Trailer Talk - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

New ProLine SNO 714 on the way. Excited!

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#121 cr500r

cr500r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1452 posts
  • Sled:2022 900 130

Posted 26 February 2021 - 12:49 PM

Yes, I have a Proline.  I'm going to order some D rings for the rear and I'll just make a mount to put a propane torch between the front doors for easy access.

The D-Rings are worthy, for $15-each.  Heavy-duty, like most all the stuff that Proline is making.  I bought three of them and Proline had included the Allen wrench for the bolts.  

I had learned that the propane won't flow when it is cold out as I had left a bottle either in the truck or trailer and when I needed it, it would not light as it was frozen.  Now, I always bring the bottle inside to keep it warm or it won't work when I need it.  Of course, after a day/night of riding, the temp in the Truck(in the parking lot) can get cold again so either way . . . at least you'd have the torch at hand.  

I suppose it would not hurt to keep one in both the truck and the trailer.  

Edited by cr500r, 26 February 2021 - 12:50 PM.

2019 Grand Touring Limited 600R

#122 71seeten

71seeten

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Sled:2017 Renegade 900 ACE

Posted 04 March 2021 - 10:15 PM

The D-Rings are worthy, for $15-each.  Heavy-duty, like most all the stuff that Proline is making.  I bought three of them and Proline had included the Allen wrench for the bolts.  

I had learned that the propane won't flow when it is cold out as I had left a bottle either in the truck or trailer and when I needed it, it would not light as it was frozen.  Now, I always bring the bottle inside to keep it warm or it won't work when I need it.  Of course, after a day/night of riding, the temp in the Truck(in the parking lot) can get cold again so either way . . . at least you'd have the torch at hand.  

I suppose it would not hurt to keep one in both the truck and the trailer.  

I just read all your posts over the last 3 years and it’s obvious you love your ProLine. I purchased my Proline just a year ago so this has been my first winter with it.  Coming from a clamshell, it’s a huge improvement but there are still things I’m learning regarding the loading and unloading.  The amount of ice inside the trailer is something I did not have with the prior trailer and the ice/snow on the ramp door when closing is a constant cleaning. 

Regarding tie-downs, I use Superclamps for the front and rear of both sleds (used them on my prior trailer). They are pricey but the icing issue in the floor rails does not affect them.  Something to consider should you get tired of the current tie downs. 

Another item i use is the MegaHitch to lock the tongue when the trailer is not connected to the truck.  I have another for my camping trailer. Anything can be stolen if they want it bad enough and both trailers are insured but the hitch lock will slow them down.  

We always ride NH trails. I’ll keep an eye out for your Cayenne and ProLine in the lots (not many Cayennes towing sleds). 

#123 Toecutter

Toecutter

"The Podiatrist"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3982 posts
  • Interests:trail riding, golf, learning bout' crap I don't know, WW2 history (Thanks vets !)
  • Sled:2016 blizzard 600 etec

Posted 04 March 2021 - 11:54 PM

Here are some funny trailer stories from the past few months.

I've been wondering why I have so much ice and snow buildup around the tracks of the sleds and it had finally occurred to me that all the lake riding at a buddies house, in all the powder we had been (so happily) running-in, it all gets plastered in the tunnel and in the suspension and then it drops out and falls to the deck and builds up. I had been leveling it every chance I get but the stuff freezes and then ices up the tie down channels in the front of the trailer since I store the trailer where the front of the trailer slants down so the rear channels are full of ice and I've been too lazy to either chip(which works to some extent) or with a heat gun or propane torch, melting the ice-out.

The build up is really not a big deal as the sleds ride right over the ice. It is that when the snow/ice melts, it freezes the tie down bars into the channels in the front and it also freezes the eyebolts in the rear. When I remember, I bring the propane torch to melt the ice or else I would not be able to get the tie down bars off the skis. The other night, I did not bring a torch and the front tie down bar was frozen into place. I had loosened the tie down bar all the way and was able to slip the bar over the skis but did not take the threaded rod and the tapered end in the channel out so when my buddy drove his sled off, it ran over the threaded bar and bent it, DOH!!!

Thankfully the new bars from ProLine are only $30 each so that ain't bad and it is nice that the light, aluminum bars are not too costly at all. I ordered two of them so I'll have one new spare.

Then, there are the eye bolts I had been using for the rear of the machines. I have now bent two of them while trying to ride the machines out while the rears are still strapped down. Again, I'm thankful that the shafts of the bolts bend versus ripping out the track/channel and doing more/worse damage. I'm only out 2 eye bolts at $15 each so I had ordered two more from ProLine even though I must have 6-more of them as I must have bought 8 of them when I had first gotten the trailer.

Now, onto the lightbulb-moment when I had realized that D-rings, that are attached to the channel using an Allen wrench are the correct way to go for securing the rears of the sleds in the winter. I can put them anywhere I want and the machines can run over them all day and all night and I won't have to worry about it. I can strap and unstrap, everything and not have to fool around with eye bolts and how they stick up and get stuck in place from icing. Phew. I have three of them on the way and in thinking about it, I should have ordered three-more so I'd have spares but three to start is the right move.

I have been checking tire pressures and the cold has the tires losing about 1 lb psi every week. As I had started at 50 psi I'm only down to about 42-43 psi. What I do notice about a 7-8 lb (more later) . . .

I have the EXACT same problem as you with my Proline 716.
I did buy the rings for the channel, but didn’t have a torch with me and couldn’t get the piece into the channel when I was ready to go. Snow melt, then frozen in the tracks the next morning .

I always keep the trailer hooked to the truck, when I get home I tilt the front up, and pressure wash it out.

Don’t see another solution really, can’t forget the torch I guess, other than that, I love the trailer.

#124 Toecutter

Toecutter

"The Podiatrist"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3982 posts
  • Interests:trail riding, golf, learning bout' crap I don't know, WW2 history (Thanks vets !)

Posted 05 March 2021 - 12:05 AM

I just read all your posts over the last 3 years and it’s obvious you love your ProLine. I purchased my Proline just a year ago so this has been my first winter with it. Coming from a clamshell, it’s a huge improvement but there are still things I’m learning regarding the loading and unloading. The amount of ice inside the trailer is something I did not have with the prior trailer and the ice/snow on the ramp door when closing is a constant cleaning.

Regarding tie-downs, I use Superclamps for the front and rear of both sleds (used them on my prior trailer). They are pricey but the icing issue in the floor rails does not affect them. Something to consider should you get tired of the current tie downs.

Another item i use is the MegaHitch to lock the tongue when the trailer is not connected to the truck. I have another for my camping trailer. Anything can be stolen if they want it bad enough and both trailers are insured but the hitch lock will slow them down.

We always ride NH trails. I’ll keep an eye out for your Cayenne and ProLine in the lots (not many Cayennes towing sleds).

I thought about getting the Superclamps, and still might, the stock bars they sell work fine other than the icing in the track issue though.

It’s another thing to do when your ready to roll, but not that big a deal to hit it with the torch for a few seconds, it’s only a small spot you have to do. I always have a torch for frozen locks anyway.

Edited by Toecutter, 05 March 2021 - 12:06 AM.

#125 cr500r

cr500r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1452 posts
  • Sled:2022 900 130

Posted 05 March 2021 - 12:36 PM

I just read all your posts over the last 3 years and it’s obvious you love your ProLine. I purchased my Proline just a year ago so this has been my first winter with it.  Coming from a clamshell, it’s a huge improvement but there are still things I’m learning regarding the loading and unloading.  The amount of ice inside the trailer is something I did not have with the prior trailer and the ice/snow on the ramp door when closing is a constant cleaning. 

Regarding tie-downs, I use Superclamps for the front and rear of both sleds (used them on my prior trailer). They are pricey but the icing issue in the floor rails does not affect them.  Something to consider should you get tired of the current tie downs. 

Another item i use is the MegaHitch to lock the tongue when the trailer is not connected to the truck.  I have another for my camping trailer. Anything can be stolen if they want it bad enough and both trailers are insured but the hitch lock will slow them down.  

I'm sure I have written it before but, never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I'd have some trailer that cost more than my first new 2004 500SS at $6,500.  Now the SNO714 starts at $8,500.  The thing is, it is so worth it for how well built the trailer is, never mind the ride in and ride-out  with the V-nose door. 

This past month has been different, at least where I am, and with what we've been doing which was;

1.  It snowed, and snowed and stayed cold, like really-cold so that nothing inside of the trailer could ever thaw out properly, unlike other seasons where at least in northeast MA, it often gets above freezing enough so that the channels in the trailer stay clean.  The other part, with so much powder to thankfully ride-in, I've never put the sleds into the trailer loaded up with so much stuff in the rear suspension and tunnel.  

2.  The trailer is insulated enough that it stays either warm enough or cold enough.  

I also keep a small axe for all the ice buildup both in the floor channels and  the doors-or the drop down doors won't close.  

I chalk it up to it just being winter and the joy of needing to deal with snow and ice, from having so much fun.  Winter is tough, but we are tougher. 

The Cayenne is really just a truck/another SUV.  Every top of the line full sized quarter ton pickup costs more, never mind a Raptor, and used, they are not all that much but a name/badge.  That it is a diesel is perfect.  There is a good reason VW had cheated wtih the emissions as their 3.0L diesel engines are phenomenal.  

2019 Grand Touring Limited 600R

#126 71seeten

71seeten

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Sled:2017 Renegade 900 ACE

Posted 05 March 2021 - 02:03 PM

I'm sure I have written it before but, never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I'd have some trailer that cost more than my first new 2004 500SS at $6,500.  Now the SNO714 starts at $8,500.  The thing is, it is so worth it for how well built the trailer is, never mind the ride in and ride-out  with the V-nose door. 

This past month has been different, at least where I am, and with what we've been doing which was;

1.  It snowed, and snowed and stayed cold, like really-cold so that nothing inside of the trailer could ever thaw out properly, unlike other seasons where at least in northeast MA, it often gets above freezing enough so that the channels in the trailer stay clean.  The other part, with so much powder to thankfully ride-in, I've never put the sleds into the trailer loaded up with so much stuff in the rear suspension and tunnel.  

2.  The trailer is insulated enough that it stays either warm enough or cold enough.  

I also keep a small axe for all the ice buildup both in the floor channels and  the doors-or the drop down doors won't close.  

I chalk it up to it just being winter and the joy of needing to deal with snow and ice, from having so much fun.  Winter is tough, but we are tougher. 

The Cayenne is really just a truck/another SUV.  Every top of the line full sized quarter ton pickup costs more, never mind a Raptor, and used, they are not all that much but a name/badge.  That it is a diesel is perfect.  There is a good reason VW had cheated wtih the emissions as their 3.0L diesel engines are phenomenal.  

I'm up in the Lake Winnipesaukee area so I have experienced the powder and cold this year and it's impact on the sled storage in the trailer.   But I too have been very happy with my ProLine IS716.  The company has been great to deal with. 

I recently retired from VW Corporate so I'm well aware of the TDI scandal as I lived it for 3 plus years.  I pulled my sleds with Touareg's and Atlas's for many years until I purchased a GMC Sierra a few years ago.  The V6 TDI was a great engine but the 10 cylinder TDI from 2006 was a monster (although it was the dirtiest engine made in the world at the time). 

Edited by 71seeten, 05 March 2021 - 02:07 PM.

#127 Toecutter

Toecutter

"The Podiatrist"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3982 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 12:42 AM

I talked with Aaron today about this, a few options:

Get a ball hitch that you can flip up, therefore the trailer is tipped up a bit when you are parked at your destination.

Drill a few holes in strategic places in the track, don’t drill where the crossmembers are at underneath.

Keep a torch in your supplies.

I love that you can call there, and speak right with the owners, who are sledders, and very helpful/knowledgeable.

Edited by Toecutter, 06 March 2021 - 12:43 AM.

#128 taken

taken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Sled:Shopping...

Posted 07 March 2021 - 10:26 AM

I love that you can call there, and speak right with the owners, who are sledders, and very helpful/knowledgeable.

I agree. I'm on my 3rd Proline trailer. I started off dealing with Tom and now Aaron and perhaps another brother as well? They are all great guys and and I refer anyone who asks to them. The only thing I really miss is they eliminated their translucent roof option that I had on my first two trailers. That was by far the best customization they offered...

Snow Checked:

2022 Renegade Enduro 900R (x2) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users