New ProLine SNO 714 on the way. Excited! - Trailer Talk - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

New ProLine SNO 714 on the way. Excited!

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#1 cr500r

cr500r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1452 posts
  • Sled:2022 900 130

Posted 03 January 2018 - 02:19 PM

I finally ordered my first new snowmobile/snowbike trailer today.  Back in 2004, my we would use my buddies new SnoPro clamshell, then for the last few years he stayed in the sport, we were able to leave our sleds at a buddies camp so there was just about no need for me to trailer anywhere.  I did have my 1994 galvanized Yacht Club trailer that I had put some money into this past fall to make it worthy for a few more seasons, new marine plywood deck, new galvanized tires and wheels.  

In just the past two weeks, between the snow sludge that froze on the trailer wires and pulled them down and messed up the connections, me forgetting the pin the deck-thankfully it was empty, and bending the channel a little, and the ice covering the entire deck from being so cold for so long, frozen/iced straps, dirty cover, dirty bike-all the usual issues with an open trailer that are not new, 

The biggest thing has been with my new snowbike.  With no studs, a 2.5" paddle and only one ski in the front with 2 carbides and 2 skags, and no reverse, it has been a challenge at times getting it on and off the trailer.  

I considered an open V-nose trailer that I could drive off the front with built in snowshield/ramps but realized I'd still have an open trailer.  

I considered all the hybrids as they go from just under $4,000-5,000 and while they look good, I realized that the drive on-drive off was/is going to be worth the money in the long run and make things as easy as it can get for the snowbike and the snowmobile(s).  

I just have to now wait until 02/22/2018 or just before that date for my new trailer to be built.  I'm excited.  

2019 Grand Touring Limited 600R

#2 Go Fast or Go Home

Go Fast or Go Home

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 7965 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling and ATVs
    Boating
    Traveling
    Family and friends
  • Sled:12 1200 Gade---(3) 14 1200x Gades

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:55 PM

Congratulations on your purchase.

Looks like you made the right choice for your needs.

Don~

#3 MBRI

MBRI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1032 posts
  • Sled:19 900T Enduro 17 900 Blizzard

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:27 PM

i have a Proline Sno 12 and love it. 4 seasons going on 5 and thousands of mile and still looks like the day i bought it. 

#4 Saluda

Saluda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts
  • Interests:Spyder, snowmobiling, pedal bikes & pontoon boat
  • Sled:2020 Ski Doo MXZ TNT

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:31 PM

Congrats !!

Come on snow !

#5 Yamdoo

Yamdoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Sled:Backcountry 850

Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:29 AM

In my opinion they make the best trailers we can buy in our area. I have the SNO716 that I picked up this past summer and love it.

#6 cr500r

cr500r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1452 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:39 PM

Thanks all.  I'm excited and never thought I'd be spending the $$$ that I am on a trailer, never in 1,000,000 years but, I can do it so I'm doing it.  

I know that I'll have it for a long time, at least for as long as I'll be snowbiking, dirtbiking and snowmobiling.  

I have read nothing but good things about PROLine and how they are considered one of the best of the best, right up there with Triton.  I'm glad that they are not too far from me, 67 miles away, not too bad and that is the factory, not a dealer.  I'm glad that it will have a galvanized Dexter Torflex axle with the flo-thu hubs, and EOH brakes, and 15" radials on galvanized wheels.  Not the 8" or 10" or even 12 or 13" wheels and tires.  This way I can go over 65 mph and not have to worry all that much about it.  

Attached Images

• P1130239.JPG
  • P1130211.JPG

#7 74Craig

74Craig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27831 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling,craft beers,beer,
    Racing
  • Sled:2022 Enduro 600

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:19 PM

Congrats on your trailer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ilovemyskidog

ilovemyskidog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28331 posts
  • Location:S Central Wis.The land of cow s--t and beer farts !
  • Sled:2019 X G4 165-3 FOR SALE !

Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:47 PM

Congrats on your purchase !

2019 X G4 165-3      FOR SALE !
2007 MXZ 600 SDI
2005 Rev Renegade 600 SDI

1997 Formula Z 583 ,(watercross project) 

#9 BDHABT

BDHABT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Harleys and shooting.
  • Sled:Nothing yet

Posted 08 January 2018 - 07:33 AM

Congrats! Awesome company to deal with.

#10 cr500r

cr500r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1452 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:01 AM

I'm excited.  

For the past couple of rides/trailer loads/unloads, I have been cherishing how much fun it is getting the snowbike on and off my open tilt trailer.  I have also been making sure to enjoy putting the nice, new cover I got on and off the bike.  

I had just installed a brand new 4 way flat harness as none of the running lights were working as there were so many splices in the wires, now with the new harness, that has a brown dedicated running light wire going to each rear turn/stop/running lamp, it makes two less splices to have to deal with.  

I have been thinking about what to do with the old trailer once the new one comes.  I'm not sure if I should sell it, part it out or just store it in case I ever need a trailer.  I'm thinking of keeping it as I did just put a new 1/2" marine plywood deck on it, it has an axle/sure lube hubs that is only 3 years old, new galvanized wheels and tires, so all in all, it is still a good trailer in case my new one ever has something happen to it then I'll have a backup, hmmmm, not sure what to do as there are lots of old single pole, galvanized 8'x8' trailers out there in the $300-500 range.  

Mine is a good problem to have.  

#11 Go Fast or Go Home

Go Fast or Go Home

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 7965 posts
    Boating
    Traveling
    Family and friends

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:06 PM

I would keep it.

It will come in handy for those trips to the lumber company, hauling a lawn mower/ garden tractor or any other quick trips.

Don~

#12 cr500r

cr500r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1452 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:48 PM

I would keep it.

It will come in handy for those trips to the lumber company, hauling a lawn mower/ garden tractor or any other quick trips.

Don~

I have been leaning towards keeping it.  It is galvanized, and overall, there is very little rust, if any, anywhere on the trailer and you are right, I never know when I might need it and the way it is going, the trailer should go another 10 or 20 years as everything but the springs has been replaced. 

If I did keep it, I would leave it 100 miles away at the summer place as I have nowhere in my small yard/driveway to keep it but, I will see if I can slot it somewhere once the new trailer comes.  I did just spend the past weekend installing a new 4 way flat harness  as well as cutting off all the old connections/butt connectors and putting on all new connections and liquid-taping them all up along with one new amber LED sidemarker so all the lights work again.  I'd be lucky to get $400 for the trailer and I just put $400 into it this past fall.  

#13 cr500r

cr500r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1452 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 08:45 AM

Thankfully my truck came with a trailer brake controller already installed.  I just had to buy a $30 harness and wires and attach/crimp them to the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 controller I got so I'll be ready to hook the trailer up and go once it is done.  

I had learned the other day that the trailer will have electric-only, Dexter nev-r-adjust drum brakes on all four wheels and I'm glad that the trailer will have tandem galvanized axles with the Dexter ez-lube hubs, with 15" radial tires on galvanized wheels.  This will be my first trailer with all electric brakes.  My boat trailer has a full set of S/S calipers, rotors and brake pads on all four wheels and the surge system works well for stopping the 7,000lb load.  I expect that the electric brake system on the new PROLine, with a total load of maybe around 3,000 lbs, as the trailer goes 1,900 lbs, the snowbike around 300 #, the sled 500# and all the extra stuff I'll be taking along will still be considered light against the 7,000lb load limit.   

#14 Go Fast or Go Home

Go Fast or Go Home

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 7965 posts
    Boating
    Traveling
    Family and friends

Posted 03 February 2018 - 09:24 AM

Electric brakes work well and you will have no trouble hauling/stopping.

I find they are a high maintenance item given the harsh Winter conditions with the salt.

I would suggest that you do at least yearly maintenance on your hubs and brakes otherwise they will rust and fall apart.

Your trailer sounds really sweet---Be sure and post a pic when you get it.

If you plan on any type of shelving, hooks, holders, etc. you may want to check out PitPal or Pit Products.  Kind of expensive but good quality stuff.

Congratulations on your new trailer.

Don~

#15 cr500r

cr500r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1452 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 10:27 AM

Electric brakes work well and you will have no trouble hauling/stopping.

I find they are a high maintenance item given the harsh Winter conditions with the salt.

I would suggest that you do at least yearly maintenance on your hubs and brakes otherwise they will rust and fall apart.

Your trailer sounds really sweet---Be sure and post a pic when you get it.

If you plan on any type of shelving, hooks, holders, etc. you may want to check out PitPal or Pit Products.  Kind of expensive but good quality stuff.

Congratulations on your new trailer.

Don~

I'm sure I will like the electric brakes and the proportional/auto-sensing control they will have on the trailer.  

I had asked  how the drums hold up and was told that they last for many years before a rebuild or replacement is needed.  I have seen many say that it is easier and often cheaper to just replace the entire assembly than replacing parts as each assy. is about $53 online right now so that is not bad, plus, not needing to bleed will also be a plus.

EZ Lube hubs are nice, I have them on both my boat trailer and on the sled trailer I have now, push all the grease in, out, and I get a complete flush of the lube at least once a year and I'm going on season 11 with the boat trailer and its bearings.  

I do have a 2 helmet cabinet and combined clothes/tie-down rack getting installed and have seen a few pit-products I'd like to add, one being an AL dual fuel jug floor mounted caddy and I'll also need a few other things to keep the jack/lug wrench in as I have a wall mounted spare tire holder also being installed in the trailer from PROLine.  

The way the winter is going up here in New England, it seems it won't last too much longer but there is the rest of this month to get through and I'll still use the trailer the rest of the year for the dirtbikes.  Pics sure will be coming once I get it.  Funny how I'm all excited about a trailer but I do enjoy towing stuff every chance I get.  I never thought that I'd ever get a trailer that costs more than the snowmobile that is going inside of it but it sure will be nice after the past two seasons of using the open trailer more, and having to deal with all the negatives that go with it, it will be nice to just load and go.  

Edited by cr500r, 04 February 2018 - 10:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users