Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Oil in gas tank, 800r

7K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  NLS800 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

My mechanic said that I should put about 1 cup of oil in gas tank each gas fill up. 2008 summit x 800r.

I haven't been around sleds in about 10 years and jumping back in. Never heard this.

Crazy?

#2 ·
i have 2010 800R PTEK, I've never done that. Oil goes in the reservoir. I assume you have not done oil injector delete. Otherwise you would premix your gas.

#9 ·
Oil in the tank helps keep carbs slides from wearing out, just a gulp every tank

Gas is dry

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

#11 ·
i have 2010 800R PTEK, I've never done that. Oil goes in the reservoir. I assume you have not done oil injector delete. Otherwise you would premix your gas.
It's a combo and a practice that has been done by a small percentage of owners ever since the oil injection system was introduced and followed by mysterious failures or longevity issues. This used to be a big nasty debate for decades, but over time I think most people have realized that it's no big deal since we still premix our saws and weed whackers and sleds. The debate silenced most owners from sharing this practice. And it's not that you have to, just that you can. It's really no different then those who premix Seafoam every tank. Ironically, since more non Ethanol gas has become available across the states, more owners have gone back to premixing isopropyl alcohol to their gas. Of course if one buys ISO-HEET for ability to absorb five times more water, too much of it can turn the rubber grommet for the fuel sender into Ghost Goo.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
So for a 10 gallon tank does about 8oz of oil make sense?
You can Google 8 oz to 1 gallon ratio to get a quick chart.

128 fluid oz = 1 US Gallon
1280 / 8 = 160:1 (edit: thx to Pulpfriction01 for noticing the missing zero :)

8 oz per tank is 160:1

100:1 to 200:1 is a good range to complement the oil injection and easy to remember.

At one point BRP jacked-up the oil injection on the 800R PTEK. It never showed in the Shop Manuals, only in a Tech Update book.

If it's too complicated, just delete the oil injection and go for full premix. For me the combo is easier because I don't really need to measure and just poor some in. I think Trippy does his full premix just as easy as I do my combo. Either way it becomes a no brainer.

#13 ·
Daag, I could be mistaken, but if you put 10 fresh gallons of gas in your tank (multiplied by 128 ounces per gallon), that would be 1280 ounces.

1280 ounces/8 ounces of oil. I don't pre mix, but to me that would be a 160:1 ratio.

Does that sound right? I think the cup of oil per fill up sounds about right but I might not understand the premix thing. I've got a 4 stroke for goodness sake lol.

Reactions: Daag44
#15 ·
Daag, I could be mistaken, but if you put 10 fresh gallons of gas in your tank (multiplied by 128 ounces per gallon), that would be 1280 ounces.

1280 ounces/8 ounces of oil. I don't pre mix, but to me that would be a 160:1 ratio.

Does that sound right? I think the cup of oil per fill up sounds about right but I might not understand the premix thing. I've got a 4 stroke for goodness sake lol.
You are on the money. Crazy how one zero changes everything. Always a good idea to put a dollar sign in front of numbers to verify our work.

#18 ·
I am a firm believer in spiking your gas with some oil.
Esspecially for storage.
It seemed we had a lot less problems with older Yamahas Why?
They were injecting the oil into the fuel supply line before getting to the fuel pump and carbs.
Oil helps lub fuel pump, carbs.
Seems to keep those small pilot jets from plugging up too!
Works for me anyway.
nls

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.