How to - Rev-XM/XS 12v Accessory Outlet with video - Sledding - General Discussion - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

How to - Rev-XM/XS 12v Accessory Outlet with video

12v accessory outlet how to diy 12v accessory outlet rev-xm

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pcontant

pcontant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Sled:2019 850 BC XRS and 2019 850 Summit 154

Posted 29 January 2017 - 05:13 PM

I’ve been making quite a few 12v Accessory outlets for few buddies and thought I’d share with you DIYers how I’ve been making them. This outlet is handy to power a GPS or even heated visors.

Like most BRP accessories this 12v outlet kit is outrageously priced ( $30 CDN) for what you get. So I sourced what I needed to make them and now can make them for less than $5. The hardest part was to find the right connector for the under hood feed. I couldn’t source the exact connector for a decent price so instead found a similar connector on ebay for less than $1 each. Now the connector is not an exact fit but it works well. So all you need for this project is a 12v Power Outlet, a sealed 2 pin connector, 2 pieces of wire (10”), electrical tape and a soldering iron and you are good to go.

I made this video to show you how to make it and also included the details on the 2 pin connectors I found on e-bay.

Hope this video is of use for someone!

Edited by pcontant, 29 January 2017 - 07:18 PM.

#2 Bigmoss

Bigmoss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  • Sled:2021 Ren XRS 850, 2016 XRS 800

Posted 29 January 2017 - 07:13 PM

Good job informative

#3 woodymn

woodymn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1041 posts
  • Interests:All things outdoors
  • Sled:13 Smut, 16 Smut 146, 16 Smut 154

Posted 29 January 2017 - 07:46 PM

Thanks, great video I will be adding these to my fleet!

#4 CanDan

CanDan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Sled:'19 BC-XRS

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:25 AM

No offense, I think it is great that you are making projects but for me I will stick with the OEM ones.  $30bucks is not that much for ULC rated electrical components and proper fit.   There is better places to save money sledding IMO.  Pack a lunch for instance will save about $15.00 over buying one, do that twice and bam you have a BRP OEM part that uses electrical components certified to North American electrical standards (UL, ULC, CSA, or ESA).  $30 is cheap insurance when plugging in my $200 GPS,  or $1100 Smart Phone into my $15,000 sled.   

I would say I could see it for an older sled, but this is the XM/XS specific area of the forum, so pretty well everyone is in the same boat.

Sources for the "your phone/GPS/sled doesn't cost that much" people:

GPS from Best buy Canada

Apple iPhone 7 256GB from Apple (Can't use your provider price, they offset the cost by your contract)

Ski-Doo US Pricing = $12,549 US (= $16,473.95CAD) MSRP

Please remove 30% from pricing if you live south of the Eh! boarder.

#5 pcontant

pcontant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Sled:2019 850 BC XRS and 2019 850 Summit 154

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:36 PM

No offense, I think it is great that you are making projects but for me I will stick with the OEM ones.  $30bucks is not that much for ULC rated electrical components and proper fit.   There is better places to save money sledding IMO.  Pack a lunch for instance will save about $15.00 over buying one, do that twice and bam you have a BRP OEM part that uses electrical components certified to North American electrical standards (UL, ULC, CSA, or ESA).  $30 is cheap insurance when plugging in my $200 GPS,  or $1100 Smart Phone into my $15,000 sled.   
I would say I could see it for an older sled, but this is the XM/XS specific area of the forum, so pretty well everyone is in the same boat.

Sources for the "your phone/GPS/sled doesn't cost that much" people:
GPS from Best buy Canada
Apple iPhone 7 256GB from Apple (Can't use your provider price, they offset the cost by your contract)
Ski-Doo US Pricing = $12,549 US (= $16,473.95CAD) MSRP

Please remove 30% from pricing if you live south of the Eh! boarder.

No offence at all, it's always interesting to read other opinions.

To clarify, saving money is not the motivation behind most DIYers or even this share. The gratitude of doing it yourself and knowing that it was well done is what really drives us.

I've done 6 sleds (buddies included) so far. Add the tax on these and that may appear like a $175 CDN savings! But in reality that doesn't even cover my monthly tool addiction costs. So no savings here.

But $175 does buy me at least 2 60's of Molson Canadian (in cans here in Quebec). For a guy like me that lives dangerously and recklessly finding underground solutions using uncertified parts, nothing says thank you better than an ice cold beer!

The good news is that all the outlets I've done so far are still in use and working well. No one yet has lost sleep, blew up an iphone or burnt down a sled because the connector was not ULC. If that happens then that beer will surely come in handy as I console them.

To be consistent, I recommend that anyone packing a lunch to save for the OEM part to do so even on older sleds, not only XM/XS.

Cheers!

#6 gautchy

gautchy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Sled:2009 MXZX

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:01 AM

Nice video. I have a g4 but haven’t found the correct connector yet. But I will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 MX-Z Man

MX-Z Man

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 29214 posts
  • Sled:'21 900T, Outlander 650XT, & Defender XT

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:14 PM

But $175 does buy me at least 2 60's of Molson Canadian (in cans here in Quebec). For a guy like me that lives dangerously and recklessly finding underground solutions using uncertified parts, nothing says thank you better than an ice cold beer!

Best, and only needed justification needed in my book. :righton

With that said, $175 buys me (10) 30 racks of my Old Mil Light, with change left to spare. :Cheers

gallery_5_57_615.jpg

The XP was the most fun sled ever made - but I liked my XR more. The 850 takes it to a whole different level. But darn, the 900T is Bad to The Bone! 

No Need to Freeze-buy a set of these! http://www.coldguards.com/

#8 Mike-337

Mike-337

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9170 posts
  • Interests:Short course Off-Road Racing. ATVs. Duel-Sport bike, Snowmobiling.
  • Sled:2008 Vector Anniversary Edition

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:27 PM

LMAO! I've been wiring/crimping harnesses for over 20 years and I have NEVER seen such a cave man crimp job in my life! There's a correct crimper for that! Love to do an ISO pull test on that.
Where's the fuse?
Buy an outlet from Battery Tender, done.

Edited by Mike-337, 14 November 2017 - 11:34 PM.

The older i get, the faster i was.

#9 TheBearAk

TheBearAk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5036 posts
  • Sled:2015 Skidoo Renegade BC 600 etec

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:30 AM

LMAO! I've been wiring/crimping harnesses for over 20 years and I have NEVER seen such a cave man crimp job in my life! There's a correct crimper for that! Love to do an ISO pull test on that.
Where's the fuse?
Buy an outlet from Battery Tender, done.

Not sure which crimp you're talking about, the first one is fine as long as you're soldering it.   Not going to go out and buy the $20 tool for a $5 job.

I would have also used solderable blade connectors as well, but then again, I have a bunch of them already.

Sourcing that connector is the main thing here.   I looked around and couldn't find the exact one either and finally just broke down and got the OEM one.   Okay, not "finally", it didn't take me long to realize that sourcing one was taking more of my time than $30 worth.   hehe.

Nice information in the video.   I do a lot of DIY, specially when it comes to electronics.    Being in Alaska, parts are not often readily available.   Yes, we do order online a lot, but then about 1/2 the stuff on the internet says "Don't ship to Alaska" like we're some foreign country.

#10 MX-Z Man

MX-Z Man

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 29214 posts
  • Sled:'21 900T, Outlander 650XT, & Defender XT

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:10 AM

Not sure which crimp you're talking about, the first one is fine as long as you're soldering it. Not going to go out and buy the $20 tool for a $5 job.

Oh now wait...
Doing a $5.00 job is a great excuse to buy a $20.00 tool. My garage is full of tools bought with this as the original excuse.

I once bought 2 new rivet guns because I was going to help a guy do a Rev Nun. The guy ended up going in another direction but I've used both guns since. One of them I use quite often. Any excuse to buy tools is a good excuse.

gallery_5_57_615.jpg

The XP was the most fun sled ever made - but I liked my XR more. The 850 takes it to a whole different level. But darn, the 900T is Bad to The Bone! 

No Need to Freeze-buy a set of these! http://www.coldguards.com/

#11 Mike-337

Mike-337

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9170 posts
  • Interests:Short course Off-Road Racing. ATVs. Duel-Sport bike, Snowmobiling.
  • Sled:2008 Vector Anniversary Edition

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:50 AM

The "Correct tool" for that job is several hundred dollars, so ya, I wouldn't expect anyone to run out and buy one.
The older i get, the faster i was.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 12v, accessory outlet, how to, diy, 12v accessory outlet, rev-xm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users