Park Brake Message Troubleshooting and Solution - REV-XP / XM Chassis - Mountain Sleds - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

Park Brake Message Troubleshooting and Solution

Park brake rev xm xs message diy

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 pcontant

pcontant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Sled:2019 850 BC XRS and 2019 850 Summit 154

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:08 PM

If you are getting the 'Park Brake' message on your sled while riding and can't figure out why, then this may help your troubleshooting and may be a solution for you.

Last year I got the 'Park Brake' message a few times on my 2015 Summit 600 ETEC. It would go away by itself. This year it started doing it again. I researched the issue and didn't find much other than it could be a faulty switch, wire or connection. Oddly, the brake light isn't on when this occurs yet the ECM thinks so and displays the message and beeps annoyingly while I ride.

I read that dealers can program the ECM to ignore this feature but this year I decided to troubleshoot this annoying issue further.

After reviewing the wiring diagram and a bit of testing, I found a permanent solution to my problem without spending a dime.

To understand the fix, let me me first explain how the system works.

The brake light microswitch is fed by a battery positive (red wire feed - this feed is also used for the headlights). The output to the switch is a white wire that goes back to the tail light. In fact the microswitch wire colors are brown and grey but becomes red and white at the first connector at the handle bar. I did a continuity test on my switch and all was good. BTW, this freakin microswitch is $65 CDN!

The white output wire runs from the handle bar harness through the main harness to eventually get to the taillight. In the main harness there is a splice and one wire goes to the ECM and the other goes to the taillight. This white wire goes to pin 30 on the ECM connector J1A or pin 25 on an 800 ETEC. When the brakes are off and the microswitch is open, 0v should be present on the white wire going to the ECM and the taillight. When the brakes are pressed and the microswitch contact is closed, +12v (more like 14.4v with mag) is sent to turn on the brake light and informs the ECM the brake is on.

In my case, I did not have 0v when the brakes were off, I had around +5v. At first I thought this a reference voltage such as in the automotive world but latter realized it wasn't. This ghost voltage was giving the ECM indication that the parking brake was on when in fact it was not. I disconnected both the brake light switch and taillight to rule them out and yet there was still a ghost voltage on the white wire. I had no clue where this voltage was coming from and since I could not come up with any logical reason why the ECM needs to know the Brakes are on, the solution was quite simple. Cut the white wire going to the ECM and it will never know when the brakes are on. So that is what I did.

I did a quick Youtube of this for those who want see. Again, note in the video I'm saying the 5v is a reference voltage but that is not the case as I discovered later.

I still plan on verifying the wire run between the handle bar harness all the way to the taillight next time I take the hood off to understand where this voltage is coming from, but for now I'm good to go!

Since this modification I have yet to get the message or an engine code.

Hope this can be of use should this happen to you.

#2 kidinloghouse

kidinloghouse

hater on all xrs and freeride owners that drive like panseys

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2305 posts
  • Interests:proud member and mechanic for halfcut racing
  • Sled:i'm not brand loyal, i drive the best

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:33 PM

thanks for that, i've had the motor lay down because the ecm thought the park brake was on. took awhile to figure out the wires to the micro switch were broke. 

2016 800 commander blingstar vertical doors, 4500lb provantage, 29" bighorns on ITP;s, wetsounds stereo.

2016 wrecked T3 summit, getting stripped to 800etec the RS

2015 154 freeride magenta XC bumper and HD rear painted to match, aaen pipe, tss tunnel dump, bondi box, diamond s hood, 200miles and bent rails

2015 explorer boat w/ 60/40 evinrude jet pump

2013 600RS, 129x15x2" on black 2014 rs rails, aaen race can
2009 ds450 vin#0001 ronwoods pipe. 13:1 piston. double exhaust cam. BCS intake, clutch basket, rear carrier and cooling mod. BlingStar and sprocket/brake protectors, pro armor nerfs.
xmx rear shock, x fronts, shortend stock shocks for iceracing.
2008 ds450X Yoshi slip on, pink wire
2007 renegade 800 30" zillas on itp108's. SLC high clearance arms, factory skids, winch bumper W/2500lb provantage winch, xmr stealth snorkels.
2006 renegadeX 1000sdi 151" 2.25 finger track, threw the motor and harness in the garbage, got an 809 triple on the shelf that needs a new home
2003 7C special edition 827, race ported, crankshop twins, bored carbs,
1999 banshee needs motor and then some
2005 tundraR yellow hood, C&A's, XM seat, 8" bar riser, green take off freeeride bars, red odi grips, cut windshield.
1988 250 citation red hood
1985 250 tundra yellow hood
1984 250 tundra orange hood
1978 atc90 needs a lot of love

#3 jordan

jordan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:33 PM

I am having the same problem with mine, changed the micro switch  and still having problem.  i am going to cut the wire like you have but just want to check with you to see if everything is still good since you did this.  I also cant see any reason the computer would need to know the brake is on.  Thanks for your help.

#4 pcontant

pcontant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:38 PM

I am having the same problem with mine, changed the micro switch  and still having problem.  i am going to cut the wire like you have but just want to check with you to see if everything is still good since you did this.  I also cant see any reason the computer would need to know the brake is on.  Thanks for your help.

A1! Never got the message since I cut the wire nor have I encountered any other issue. Fixed the problem permanently.

#5 Sorcerer

Sorcerer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Audi, Trans Am, Ski-doo Snowmobiles
  • Sled:2015 Renegade 800 XRS

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:28 PM

Probably rubbing into the tail light wire in the tunnel somewhere. If the ecm sees the 5v, i would imagine the same 5v are beeing sent to the brake light.
So cutting the wire going to the ecm, will not prevent the brake light from still malfunction...

2015 Renegade 800 Etec XRS (2014 Prototype)

2006 Mach Z 1000 SDI

2000 Mach Z 800 Millenium Edition

1993 Mach 1 670

1993 Formula Plus EFI (Stock EFI system)

1983 Blizzard 9700

#6 pcontant

pcontant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:53 PM

Probably rubbing into the tail light wire in the tunnel somewhere. If the ecm sees the 5v, i would imagine the same 5v are beeing sent to the brake light.
So cutting the wire going to the ecm, will not prevent the brake light from still malfunction...

The short may be in the tunnel but It has no impact on the brake light, it works perfectly.

#7 Gonetfx

Gonetfx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:Dooing
  • Sled:2015 Ski-Doo 800 E-TEC Summit SP 154"

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:13 PM

Mine was doing this at the end of last season but hasn’t happened yet this season but will know what to do if it comes back thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'15 Ski-Doo Summit SP 800 154"

-GGB Mountain Can

-DJ Dual Elevation Kit

-Tom's Ski Bushing

-Grip n Rip Top A-Arm Brace

-Fett Bro's Bottom A-Arm Brace

-Ski-Doo Extreme Skid Plate

-CFR 4" Nucks

-CFR Boondocker 2.0 Bars

-Ski-Doo Panel Vent Kit

-Mountain Fit Hood

-Mountain Fit LED light

#8 toomanysleds

toomanysleds

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Sled:16 XRS, 2011 X, 2006 X

Posted 06 January 2019 - 11:19 AM

•  
  • Members
  • bullet_black.png
  • 9 posts
  • Sled:16 XRS, 2011 X, 2006 X

Posted Today, 10:19 AM

Im having this issue and the local dealer says they have never heard of this. does anyone know what the BRP validation code is so i can make them aware? dont want them wasting time and money throwing parts at an ECM issue.

#9 pcontant

pcontant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 11:37 AM

I beleive the Fault Code may be P2299, not sure if this is what you are asking by validation code. If you have a Multi-Function display you can read the code if it is set.

Multifunction Analog/Digital Display Only
To read any active fault code, press and hold MODE (M) Button and simultaneously depress the HI/LOW beam switch repeatedly several times.
If two or more codes are registered, use SET (S) or MODE (M) to scroll. To exit the fault codes mode, press and hold MODE (M) button.

The dealer may want to change the brake switch and this may solve your issue.

The lowest cost solution if your brake lights work and have the problems as I descirbed it is just to cut the wire. I’ve done it on a few sleds with this issue and it fixed the problem.

Good luck and let us know how this gets resolved.

Thanks.

#10 Bkstraub

Bkstraub

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Sled:05 mach z 1000 adrenaline

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:01 PM

I have a 2015 summit 800. It looks like you are working with the top connector on the ECM. Pin 27 on mine with the white wire is on the bottom plug. Can you confirm this is the correct wire? I’ll have my multimeter with me tomorrow.. also, will this cause the motor to retard timing or pull fuel? Yesterday was the first time I saw the message. It was on and off the whole ride, and at high RPM the engine would bog.

#11 pcontant

pcontant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 07:32 PM

I have a 2015 summit 800. It looks like you are working with the top connector on the ECM. Pin 27 on mine with the white wire is on the bottom plug. Can you confirm this is the correct wire? I’ll have my multimeter with me tomorrow.. also, will this cause the motor to retard timing or pull fuel? Yesterday was the first time I saw the message. It was on and off the whole ride, and at high RPM the engine would bog.

It’s should be the bigger plug SH If I recall. WMS is the smaller one.

#12 Bkstraub

Bkstraub

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Sled:05 mach z 1000 adrenaline

Posted 20 January 2020 - 11:31 PM

I got it figured out. On the 800 it’s J1B pin 25 not J1A. Snipped and stowed. No more error message. Tore apart the pump canister and found the jet pump clogged up. Sticking a new pump in while I have it apart. Cheap insurance for $60. Hopefully this cures all my issues. Still trying to find the correct fuel blend for my 872.

Attached Images

• DE40DF47-C107-4F7F-B81E-1874A6A3F14C.jpeg
  • C2BF216B-A6C5-4BE6-A375-BACB07EEB7DD.jpeg

Edited by Bkstraub, 20 January 2020 - 11:32 PM.

#13 Daag44

Daag44

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 27670 posts
  • Interests:1973 Olympic
  • Sled:2007 1000 SDI

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:57 AM

Once the wire is cut you can measure the voltage on both snipped ends to confirm where the 5V is being fed. It's not worth doing with the wires covered in shrink tube, but anyone else that experiences this problem could do this.

Air/Fuel Ratio for two and four strokes
Air/Fuel Ratio for 1200 with boost
Air/Fuel Ratio is measured through emissions
Wideband and EGT
Wideband readings of Air/Fuel Ratio on a two stroke
600 SDI MY2004 Lean/Hot spot running 6900-7000 rpm @ 40-45% Throttle Opening
800R Cranking Compression
800R Oil Injection / Premix combo
800R P-TEK Electrical Troubleshooting #1 and #2 
800R Turbo
850 Center Oil line for coolant pump melted
850 Main Oil line caught fire #1 and #2
900 ACE Turbo - muffler turning red hot
1200 4-TEC Mapping
1200 4-TEC MY 2009 to 2011 Fuel Line issues that could cause a fire
Batteries
Belt Blowers: Overview of UPMICHIGANDER's and Ronn's experience
BUDS 3.3.0 won't connect to SDI
BUDS not connecting to HO or SDI - Try a CanDoo
Crankshaft runout - maximum allowable specs 
CVT efficiency - BlueMax
Deep snow intake for XP chassis
Electrical - ECM drivers for Ignition Coils and E-TEC injectors 
Electrical - Diagnoses of a failed ECM
Electrical - 30A Battery Charging Fuse Socket Diagnoses and Relay
Electrical - Relay Coil Wine
Electrical - Relay Testing
Electrical - Battery Charging Relay Diagnostic 
Electrical - Troubleshooting with BRP video 
Electrical - Solder vs Crimp
Electrical - Diagram for Fanners on page 3
Engine Break-In 
Engine Weight 
E-TEC 600HO Clutching
E-TEC Oil Pump
E-TEC Dial-A-Jet
E-TEC Electric Start troubleshooting
E-TEC Engine Management
E-TEC eRAVE position code recurring
E-TEC Stator fault codes P1562 or P1563
E-TEC Capacitor Charge Hold Test and Residual Voltage Test
E-TEC Voltage Rectifier Regulator troubleshooting
E-TEC Power Fades are not normal and can be fixed
Fuel Issues: Could new Ester type oxygenated additives be deteriorating the Fuel Sender Grommet?
Fuel pump and regulator replacement for ACE, E-TEC and SDI
Gasoline quality and storage
Bad Gas for a Two Stroke - Is it a Myth ?
GNR CVT Alignment for the G4
Grip N Rip Clutch Alignment testing
G4 Clutch Alignment, Engine Movement, Sheave Runout and Clutching
G4 850 Throttle Jerkiness solved with clutching
G4 850 Snappy throttle/clutch engagement
G4 850 pDrive tech - A question of Engineering
G4 Steering
G4 850 Tuned Pipe @ 12.6 lbs and Muffler @ 15.4 lbs vs 800R and 800RE muffler weight
Longevity - 800R E-TEC 
Mikuni o-ring for carb float assembly - Arctic Cat part# 6505-875 or from Amazon and eBay
Muffler Red Hot
Off-trail riding for flatlanders
Oil versus Fuel consumption
Pictures - How to resize and upload to DooTalk
Pictures - How to post with the correct orientation
Pipe Pressure testing on a dyno
Pipe Pressure testing from LRD (#1) and (#2)
Pipe Pressure testing results from BRP
Power Loss - How to diagnose in the field
Power at the Crankshaft vs Track - BlueMax
Power Curves: 600 HOE (E-TEC)
Power Curves: 600 vs 800 vs 850 vs 1000 vs 1200
Power Curves: 1000 vs 800 vs 600
Power curves: 800RE 2010.5 to 2016 vs 2016.5 850
Quebec/NY State border crossing
REV Gen1 Gauge Display stuck on "SCALE"
REV Gen1 Volt and Temp Gauge install
REV Gen1 electrical connectors for sensors and MPEM (Multi Purpose Engine Module)
Seafoam for E-TEC injectors
Shortblock or Rebuild?
Ski-Doo Snowmobile Tech Training
Spark Plugs cracked
Squish - The limit
Squish - A discussion on head design
Stator and Relay Diagnostic 
Stator testing for E-TEC using a T harness/Bridge
Stator testing for 1200 4-TEC
Stator Removal on page 3
Stator replacement for a 1200 4-TEC
Suspension Adjustment
Triples - Coolant Pump Assembly
Y-Pipe bolts loosening fix

#14 Nathan78

Nathan78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Sled:2014 renegade 600

Posted 11 February 2021 - 07:48 PM

Has anyone encountered any adverse effects at all after cutting? I love my sled and want it for a few more years but can’t stand driving a slot machine

#15 00PowderSpecial

00PowderSpecial

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • Sled:2018 Summit 850 146 2014 BCX 800

Posted 15 March 2021 - 07:13 PM

Can anyone confirm if the all white wire is the one that needs to be cut? I’m on a 14 backcountry x 800. I can’t find any markings for pin 30, but read in a previous response that it was the white wire in the lower connector.

Attached Images

• AF6870F3-5F0E-4E79-9FB7-8214A87C569A.jpeg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users