Descending doooowwwwnnnnn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3355 posts
  • Interests:breakin trail,lending buddies my shovel
  • Sled:Khaos on order

•    

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:44 PM

Gorilla tape around the hood up to the side panels even the "z" section.. silicone the opening for the bumper, prefilter for nose cone..just rode for the last week and since ive done that zero issues at all, and thats riding all day in powder

#62 off trail mike

off trail mike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:Winter & Water, repeat!
  • Sled:154 Summit G4

Posted 24 February 2019 - 09:32 AM

95% of the problem is the front bumper vents.  As stated, go with the pre-filter material laid over BRP Junk Vent Kits (as I did), xtreme air vents or the RS600 race setup if it actually fits.  Key is pre-filter NOT pet screen. My setup is now 2 years old and works perfectly, despite having a few holes where branches have poked thru..

The block off plate on the front end of the S-module definitely slows down how fast ice builds in your steering box if you do nothing or are worried about belt heat and won't put pre-filter in.

I've had zero issues with overheat/blown belts (Riding +12 inches @ 1500-3000 feet elevation) and you have to realize that running in powder where the front grill is open will ultimately plug off as one big block of ice.  Once that happens....you have zero flow thru front vents, and a slow creeping/melting iceberg inside your hood.

This problem seems to worst when running thru fine or blower powder at cold temps < -10C.  Above that, there seems to be enough temp in the engine compartment to melt the whole mess.

Also, make sure you have a few drilled holes to allow the water to drip out.  The BRP hole location tends to fill with debris (tree needles/branches/leaves/etc).  I put two 3/16" holes a bit higher in the plastics and they stay clear of junk. 

And If your worried about the drilled holes letting in snow....run the front grill wide open...it'll plug those babies instantly....LOL

OTM

#63 Alatalo

Alatalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Sled:1993 Mach 1 670 and 1997 Mach Z 800

Posted 25 February 2019 - 04:13 AM

Not sure pre-filtered front vents make any difference at all (at least not in my case), but conditions and temperature definitely make a difference,

Three consecutive rides in fresh powder and temperatures colder than - 20 deg C = boots full to the level where I think they will explode, steering noticeably locked up.

Fourth ride in same fresh powder but temperature around - 5 deg C = no problem whatsoever...

In the colder conditions, I get the feeling the heat from the pipe and the engine is not enough to turn all of the incoming powder into water that evacuates down the bottom. Instead, it just turns the incoming powder into slush that becomes ice inside and between the steering boots...?

#64 leland

leland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Sled:2019 summit sp 154 shot

Posted 10 March 2019 - 07:56 PM

Unpon further inspection. Both my tie rods are also bent from the ice/boot build up and frozen steering

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

2011 summit 146 800r Ptek

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: boot, G4, 850

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users