Poor handling '16 Blizzard - Page 4 - REV-XP / XS Chassis - Performance Trail 120-129 Inch Models - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

Poor handling '16 Blizzard

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#46 steveb971

steveb971

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Sled:2016 MXZ Blizzard 800

Posted 01 February 2017 - 03:33 PM

Update: So we just left for home from a four day ride in the U.P. Perfect scenario for back-to-back comparison. We used my Blizzard and my wife's sled. They're both two stroke sleds on the same chassis.
For the record, I'm no stranger to the rider-foreword, and XP/XS designs, I am an aggressive rider and very "active" with my body positioning, etc, so these were not variables in my lack of satisfaction with the handling. I just have very high expectations.
So, I set hers up with the traditional setup. Minimal tension on the center spring, set the front and rear sag for rider weight and went riding. Throughout the day we played around a little, fine tuning the settings as we went. It was pretty good in the corners, but the main pressure points are the skis and the rear of the track, so you essentially have a fairly long "wheelbase".
On my Blizzard, we set it up with the strap fully extended. We set the spring tension up based on the article in Snow Tech. I'm 180 geared up. We set the ski springs on 2, the rear torsion on the LIGHTEST setting, couplers on one, and, with the fully lengthened strap, we set the center spring with about 5/8 inch of preload. I couldn't get an exact measurement, but there were four threads left showing below the top adjusting collar. To me this seemed like it was almost set up like a motocross bike, where the front of the track represented the rear wheel, essentially shortening the 'wheelbase". In fact you could kind of see the rear of the track elevated slightly. So when you turn, you're not trying to twist 5.3 square feet of track on the snow, it's pivoting with minimal resistance on the front of the skid. You would think it would teeter on that center spring, but I lifted the sled and set the front of the track on a log, and the weight is so foreword biased, without AND with a rider, that there is no rearward tilt at all.
So we all went out riding. Rode the first half of the day on our own sleds and then switched. I never saw my Blizzard again. She wouldn't give it back til I set hers up the same. I believe the entire key to this is the increased center spring tension. You would think it would be too stiff and buck you off, but it's surprisingly soft yet and sucked up the bumps as well as any other setup ever has. And with this setup, the only purpose of the rear of the skid is to couple on the big bumps and slow down the travel of the center spring, It sounds absolutely backwards and non functional, but it flat out works. This thing totally railed the corners, even under acceleration. The only time I could get the center of gravity to shift past center was when I would plant the rear end, and hit full throttle from a dead stop. Then it would transfer nicely and produce good but predictable ski lift.

Edited by steveb971, 01 February 2017 - 03:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users