Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Poor handling '16 Blizzard

10K views 45 replies 20 participants last post by  steveb971 
#1 ·
So I finally paid off my wife's new Doo and moved up from my '99 ZX chassis 600 and picked up a Blizzard 800. While the ride is obviously night and day, the cornering leaves alot to be desired. My '99 was set up with fairly decent pressure on the skis and the rear of the skid, with a softer setting on the center shock and my couplers on 2. With this setup, and 175 lbs of driver weight, I could power through corners like crazy without any push or ski lift. I started with a similar setup on my '16. Now yes I know I have a little more track, but the push in the corners is terrible and as soon as i hit the gas it shoots straight foreword and I have to let back off the gas to get it to turn. I have turned the keel on the TS all the way down, the coupling blocks up, increased ski pressure, increased rear skid pressure and reduced the center shock as far as I can but it still tends to push. I have researched this site, but all the threads end up migrating to shock clicker adjustment, which the Blizzards don't have.
I read an article in Snowgoer about doing just the opposite by softening the rear and having it pivot on a stiffer center shock. Anyone have any luck trying this? My concern would be powering through a turn without weight transfer and losing ski pressure.

#2 ·
I came off a 02 Mxz and onto my 2016 Mxz Xrs 800. I have a big more adjustment then you but I barely had to play with it to get it railing corners. 6" shaper bars help too I imagine.

Also the new sleds require a bit more body language as you're sitting up much higher. Dig that inside foot in and get a bit forward and into the corner and it goes a long long way.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
How much different does the 13 you have handle than your 99? How many miles have you put on the 13?

When I went to the rider fwd sled from my 89, I found riding it like a dirt bike helped a lot. Push out with outside corner foot and lean in. Your butt isnt the pivot point anymore, cant flat track like the sit down sleds.

#6 ·
I haven't ridden the '13 enough to have a good comparison. It's my wife's sled and she likes how it was set up at the dealer so I'm under strict instructions to "leave it the hell alone" ????. I'm a very aggressive rider so body language isn't an issue. I know Doo has a deeper keel for the TS with a longer carbide, but i want to get the suspension dialed in first so I'm not just band-aiding it. I'm curious if anyone has tried the set up like they talked about in the article about having the center shock as the pivot point

#9 ·
you''ll need to pull the limiter in 1" and get the 7" runners .also get some ski shims from bergstrom .,put the couplers on #2 ,set the springs so the flap is 1" off the ground when you sit on it .start with the runners 5 clicks down ,the adj.to your liking from there .you don't need new skis ,just need to get what you have working .with this setup ,you''ll be real close . :wink_old:

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Soften the rear springs, increase center shock preload decrease some of that front ski pressure tighten the limiter strap if needed. Make small adjustments and test ride it until you get to your liking. Keep in mind your 16 is way more rider position sensitive than that 99 you just hopped off of. By merely moving your keister on the seat a couple of inches forward or rearward will affect the handling as well. Slide back on the seat for a little more track bite. Get up tight to the front of the seat get those knees right on the backside of the side pods to help rail the corner.

Adjust the keel on the skis deeper for loose trail conditions, and raise it up on hard pack once you get past the trial and error on your set up you'll feel like your on a slot car track

#18 ·
My '16 Renegade Adrenaline came with the center spring on the softest setting. Touch the gas in a corner and it would go straight.

I cranked up the center spring one notch and it cured the problem. Think the factory set up had too little track on the ground and too much ski pressure, just not a good balance for handling.

mike

Reactions: Daag44
#21 ·
you''ll need to pull the limiter in 1" and get the 7" runners .also get some ski shims from bergstrom .,put the couplers on #2 ,set the springs so the flap is 1" off the ground when you sit on it .start with the runners 5 clicks down ,the adj.to your liking from there .you don't need new skis ,just need to get what you have working .with this setup ,you''ll be real close . :wink_old:
X2 on the 7" carbide. The 4" are just not enough.
I was running 6-8 clicks down on TS last year, and it was railing nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.