$30 "clutch kit": Increase 600 / 900 ACE rpm - Page 2 - 600 ACE 4-Stroke Models - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

$30 "clutch kit": Increase 600 / 900 ACE rpm

Diy

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 yamadooman

yamadooman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • Interests:snowmobiling, golf, pontooning
  • Sled:2022 Ren 900T X (on order), 14 GSX 900

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:08 AM

I would caution as to where you took the weight off the flyweight.. When you take it off at the tip, it will effect the shift characteristics. The concept is right on, but I would take weight off the side of the flyweight. You can take if off the whole length of the weight, therefore retaining the original shift characteristics, if that makes sense.

Chad Ouverson

*********************** The older I get, The faster I was!!! ****************************

Current Iron:  2022 Renegade X 900T, 2014 GSX 900 (ACE)

#17 89MX

89MX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Sled:G4 Summit, FR 154, 600 ACE, 1200 Ren X

Posted 20 December 2015 - 01:32 PM

I would caution as to where you took the weight off the flyweight.. When you take it off at the tip, it will effect the shift characteristics. The concept is right on, but I would take weight off the side of the flyweight. You can take if off the whole length of the weight, therefore retaining the original shift characteristics, if that makes sense.

For the most part, it is the profile side of the lever that determines shift characteristics, and not the weight distribution. Taking weight of the back side at the tip of the lever provides the most change in rpm since the weight out at the tip has the most centrifugal leverage. In my case, I had no noticeable change in the shift (other than higher rpms).

What you elude (changing shift characteristics via profile changes) requires a secial grinding jig that will grind all the ramps/levers using one as a guide. That is what the pro clutch tuning outfits work on to win races and hill climbs. That stuff is beyond both my abilities and the scope of what I hope to offer for people: an easy mod that will provide 85% of the results compared to an expensive kit.

Grinding just the tip provided great results and kept with my personal motto: "keep it simple, stupid" :)

Edited by 89MX, 01 January 2016 - 02:54 PM.

#18 89MX

89MX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Sled:G4 Summit, FR 154, 600 ACE, 1200 Ren X

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:17 PM

Update: RPMs holding up nicely, running great with a lot more zip in the 0-60 mph range. Very much like a 550 fan. Maybe even straightens your arms out.. just a little 😁

Fuel economy (as predicted) down from about 25 to 21.

Edited by 89MX, 26 January 2016 - 01:50 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Diy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users