Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Gasoline quality and storage

8K views 59 replies 14 participants last post by  Daag44 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
After scouring through countless web sites looking for good solid information on gasoline, so far the most informative ones I found were from Chevron, RFF, UFA, some shops like AA1car.com and Wayne's Garage, E15 tests, and the News. The aviation is a great resource but it can get complicated awfully fast. These guys and gals refer to our pump gas as AutoGas or MoGas. In short it is the least reliable source of gasoline when compared to AvGas, and this view is shared among owners of airplanes and by Chevron a Tier 1 gasoline company. Understandably the folks up in the air are not interested in rolling the dice with fuel quality.

Changes in Gasoline IV is a document that took me by surprise as I had finally hit the jackpot. Written by RFF (Renewable Fuels Foundation) in 2009, it provides and depth look into gasoline changes, quality, and storage. It appears to be complete and accurate, and exceptionally well written. It has a small section on sleds and the information is spot on. Here is a passage from the last page.

Changes in Gasoline IV was prepared specifically to provide information about spark ignition fuel quality to automotive service professionals, instructors, and automotive students, as well as the small engine service technician. It is based on a review of over 150 reference documents and was reviewed by a technical panel to ensure technical accuracy. In addition, an advisory board provided review and input to help focus the manual on issues of key interest to the auto service/repair industry.

Happy reading.

Changes in Gasoline IV - 2009

The Auto Technician's Guide to Spark Ignition Engine Fuel Quality
http://www.ethanolrfa.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/ChangesinGasolineManualIV-UpdatedLogo.pdf

Motor Gasolines Technical Review from Chevron - 2009

https://www.chevron.com/-/media/chevron/operations/documents/motor-gas-tech-review.pdf

* The document is no longer available from its original link, but it has been made available from other sources which can be found with a Google search.

New link from Southwestairsports

Links to older documents

http://www.ethanolrfa.org/resources/industry/gasoline/

See less See more
#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Wish they left gasoline alone, pre ethanol days were great.

Got an E mail from the A.M.A. with info dated 5/29. Apparently the EPA & Dept. of Agriculture are trying for another push at increasing the amount of ethanol out there. They apparently want to make E 15 more available. Notice claims $100 million plan from the USDA. Comment period is now open.

#6 ·
Yet you just had to click on it and even worse just had to comment.

Simple solution to your problem, if you see a topic that bothers you or doesn't interest you, simply bypass the topic.
I am terribly sorry that you took offense to my comment.

I am terribly sorry that you had to comment on my comment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully it made you feel better!!!!!!

Here, let me explain.

I did not say the topic bothered me. I did not say the topic did not interest me.

I actually read all the info the OP linked to, and found it quite interesting.

But, as I originally stated, it was kind of like reading about politics. You can just read, and read, and read, then read some more. Hence the "never ending" wording. There is no definitive answer to discussions about politics, and there is no definitive answer to discussions about gasoline. Everyone has an opinion.

I certainly hope you now have a better understanding of the meaning of my post.

Next time, take your meds BEFORE you incorrectly interpret someone's post and decide to go on a rant about absolutely nothing.

This way you will be thinking clearly and maybe you won't be ignorant with your posts.

To the OP......thanks for the links to the info.

Sorry your topic got skewed in the wrong direction. I guess that was my fault!!

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
You are correct though, your statement was misleading. Seemed like so many other comments that just get made for no good reason. Sorry for the error in how I interpreted you statement.

#9 ·
Please do use some more exclamation marks next time.

No meds required here, perhaps on you end though.

You are correct though, your statement was misleading. Seemed like so many other comments that just get made for no good reason. Sorry for the error in how I interpreted you statement.
It's all good.

We friends now???? :buddies: :buddies: :buddies:

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Throwing stones from a glass house, hahahaha
:rofl
Not at all. I have just seen way to many otherwise good discussions degraded by non value added responses that are meant to do nothing more than degrade those that are posting. That was not the case as was explained and acknowledged by me after having the comments more clearly defined.

#13 ·
#18 ·
If you have Adobe Reader on your tablet, it should just open up. Otherwise it may have just downloaded and you will have to open it manually. Do you have Adobe Reader installed?

#20 ·
I will have to get my woman or kids to help,, but I have seen some adobe thing load other stuff for me to read/see/email=instructions for a graphic panel install at a store

I have to work=almost totally no computer needed for the last 25yrs

I learned to post pics tho

Attachments

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
After filling-up my chainsaw with a fresh mix of 50:1, I inadvertently left the gas container on the black pavement and out in the hot sun. When I came back to get the can for a refill the gas can had ballooned. I was a little concerned but I didn't think much of loosing some of the vapours as I thought there was plenty to spare. That was until I noticed the chainsaw was lacking the oomph that it had with the previous tank. I checked the plug after a couple of tanks and found a surprising amount of deposits. I used the same gas in my trimmer and found the same problem. This was earlier this spring and it's what got me looking into fuel vapour, or more precisely Volatility. Below are the first articles and videos that I found on the subject. They were written by Jim Czekala @ DynoTech Research, and focus on race gas, but it also applies to our pump gas. Since then I have changed my habits when filling, premixing and storing gas cans.

Fuel Volatility--how it affects performance - May 10, 2015

Do It Yourself RVP test? - December 03, 2014

More on RVP/ fuel volatility - November 03, 2014

Reid Vapor Pressure Testing - March 07, 2013

Youtube Videos

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
Cool, dark place out of direct sunlight is always the key. If you see a bloated can, you can try putting it someplace cold and the bloat will go away as the vapors tend to condense back into the liquid again.

Not always possible but if you can put it into a freezer for a bit, it will calm back down again.

I keep all my bottles of fuel enhancer in a chest freezer. Creates some issues with the labels once I pull them back out again as the cold bottle becomes a magnet for condensation when it hits the warm air..

I have a cooler and some big freezer pacs I use when taking product to MX races i the hot weather..

IMAG1686.jpg

#26 ·
At the raçes or riding dirtbikes,,I try to keep my gas can in the shade and under the trailer and the trailer is white,,,but when the can bloats I open vent and let all the octane out/darn it

Dàag I read the 1st Dynotec gas thing,,it loaded up easy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.