What add-ons should I consider for a new 800 T3 Summit? - Page 2 - REV-XP / XM Chassis - Mountain Sleds - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

What add-ons should I consider for a new 800 T3 Summit?

Lithium Battery Can Scratchers

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 2009 tnt etec

2009 tnt etec

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Interests:Hunting Fishing Snowmobiling and more Snowmobiling
  • Sled:2014 Freeride 137

Posted 12 April 2015 - 07:35 AM

BRAAAPPPPPPPPPP! Nothing better than a GGB mountain can on a crisp morning I would never find my buds if we weren't running cans you separate and end up following tracks for an hour trying to find them and safety of hearing them is number 1

#17 acefreely

acefreely

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Sled:'18 165X

Posted 12 April 2015 - 11:21 PM

I live in WA, but sled in ID and BC as well. I just think it's good stewardship to keep the sleds quiet. I also put in a lot of hours on different committees about land use. Trust me when I tell you the BEST thing we sledders can do to keep our riding areas open is to keep the noise down....

Ace

#18 fredw

fredw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1521 posts
  • Interests:low boost kit and light weight
  • Sled:carbon fiber etec turbo

Posted 13 April 2015 - 12:06 AM

Biggest upgrades we seen this year were going to eight tooth drivers, and a better skid... Bakers racer edge stood out.. And if you have a bit more coin... Turbo it

carbon fiber 2013xm turbo etec

174 three inch

lots of light weight goodies

under 500lbs full of fluids

AEROCHARGER

xp-x 174x 3 885cc
525lbs(full of fuel and oil)
Racers edge skid
20.5grams, blue-yellow-spring 413 ramps
dynoport pipe and y pipe, mbrp can
boyseen reeds
shockwave helix
42mm carbs

#19 BankBuster

BankBuster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Interests:Pool, Ball, Golfing,,, and ya sledding
  • Sled:2016 Summit T3-174 Yellow with ES

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:09 AM

Thanks for all the comments.

1) E-Start - LOL, yes, I see the electric start as a step in the wrong direction when working towards reducing sled weight on a mountain machine. Point taken. I too have always turned my nose up at electric start, because of the added weight and said "that's for wimps, I don't need that" (when I was younger).  Now that I'll be 50 and (and a rather lazy 50), I want to give e-start a try.  I thought with a lighter battery that it would not be that much of a weight penalty and I could save my energy for riding, and add to a more enjoyable ride.  Plus my RT ate two recoil starters over its 10 years I had it (the plastic house broke by the axle(?), but that was all that failed on the RT, it was very reliable IMHO). Plus, I find it a PITA to climb out of a tree well and claw my way back on the sled just to get it started and blipped out of a hole.  So, yeah, I want to try e-start and I do realize that I have goals that conflict with each other (which is often the case :) ).

2) Shocks - Honestly, I don't pay much attention to my shocks.  That one item I really do ignore, out of ignorance mostly.  I guess even on a mountain sled I should pay more attention to them. I'll try it stock, and read more into what other are finding as far as faults or improvements.  For me in the past, as long as it feels fine going down the trail, that's fine, as in the powder I don't seem to care or notice any changes.  I don't do any big drops or jumps,,, not on purpose anyway.

3) Blow hole - I had to Google that product.  Interesting idea, I kind of like the idea of using a fan to suck out the heat, if it helps belts last longer.  I had a bit of sticker shock though, but it deserves a better look.  I have always removed the plastic around the clutches and took a whole saw to the shield and then belts seemed to last a long time.   Gone are the days only getting a 2 or 3 days on a belt. This fan may work better, and I'll have a high performance goggle defroster apparently.

4) Can - I don't want to open up the can debate, I don't like loud at idle or cruise speed, but I do like to hear how the engine is pulling on a hill, and I do find myself using sound to find sleds in our group (or any group will do when lost).  PS, I use Back Country Navigator on my Android too, cool app if you are interested in one for your phone.  And in the trees it seems the sound is killed pretty quick any ways (surprisingly quick!).  I used FSR radios fora while, and found them to be of little value and don't pack them any more, maybe the new ones are better, like the Rino with GPS location sharing if that is still made. I want the sled to have good manners at idle and cruise, but be pretty loud at W.O.T..  That way it's quiet when in parking lot and loading/unloading in the city, but if I'm playing on a big hill away from sensitive ears, I want to hear it.  Looking at HPS or MBRP (lower cost than HPS), trail can. That should be somewhere in the middle, hopefully the trail can is loud enough to maintain the "fun factor" (AKA "brapp") when at W.O.T.

5) Turbo - and some of the other more extensive or extreme mods are not on the radar now.  I'm looking for a sled update, a (mostly) stock, lighter, and reliable replacement to the RT, that will be easier to put 50 or 60 miles on it a day, and a little easier to dig out.  I don't think I want to bother with a turbo, it will just take me to places I don't belong.  I don't spend a lot of time high marking or riding in spring snow conditions, I like the really deep snow days and surfing around. I'll leave the turbos to others who will use it.

Thanks again,

Brad

Edited by BankBuster, 13 April 2015 - 08:07 PM.

2016 Summit T3-174 Yellow with ES (on order, GGB Mountain waiting on sled)

05 Summit X HM (ie; 1000 with a 162") (backup sled).
With MODS skis, 9.25" riser, TSS can, 20 tooth top, 15 plate, B.J.'s 06 roller kit, more pin weight, remove the plastic on clutch cover and added holes for cooling, added three 1.125" holes in track, removed the sway bar, rear heat exchanger, tailight/rack (LED light), trim snow flap at crease, all engine compartment foam, gutted outer air box, added scratchers and put idler wheels back in after a bad hyfax experience, Added Doo's jerry can, Digatrons, Boony, and skid plate, thermostat, pods, vent kit, and switched to ultra low windshield. Mid07. Runs pretty good now, IMO.

#20 norona

norona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Sled:2009 146 Summit Everest 800R

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:12 AM

...and I disagree 100%. We are batteling to keep areas open for motorized use. The #1 complaint against sleders? Noise! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE consider using the stock can, or one thats QUIET! A radio works to find out where you buddy is at. Noise does NO GOOD for keeping areas open!

Ace

So True, we are our own worse enemy, sound rules are coming kids, just like out east, people who complain about areas closing, only have to look at their can and say hmmm. 

Keep the stock can-save money, use an earthx battery-lighter by 11.5 pounds and works in every conditions, lithiums do go to sleep so sometimes you need to hold the button down for 8 seconds, take the cover off and hit the start again and it will start right up, no need for rope-as I have never needed it, e-starts work well now. yes not he jerry if you like to ride deep, just stash it or empty it in when you have ridden a bit, just ride and go!

#21 norona

norona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Sled:2009 146 Summit Everest 800R

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:17 AM

I live in WA, but sled in ID and BC as well. I just think it's good stewardship to keep the sleds quiet. I also put in a lot of hours on different committees about land use. Trust me when I tell you the BEST thing we sledders can do to keep our riding areas open is to keep the noise down....

Ace

Ace thanks for the work you do, I too sit on a few sled, dirt bike and other meetings and most riders have no idea the slap coming down on them, if they did they would not turn it into a debate, we see 450 dirt bikes coming off the showroom at 120DB that is five times louder than what is allowed, to someone who hates dirt bikes, this gives them 5 times the reasons to act, sleds are even worse! I ride sleds, trials bikes and dirt bikes almost every day through the year, I wear ear plugs and can still hear the motor revving, if you can't, that sounds is really working...on your hearing!

#22 mxracer78

mxracer78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Interests:Motocross, snowmobiliing, photography
  • Sled:2009 Ski-Doo Summit HillClimb Edition

Posted 13 April 2015 - 03:29 PM

Remember if you're in the mountains, probably a good idea if the sled is louder than quiet, especially if you're trying to find your friends. If you trail ride a lot, the Mbrp is probably your better choice.

...and I disagree 100%. We are batteling to keep areas open for motorized use. The #1 complaint against sleders? Noise! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE consider using the stock can, or one thats QUIET! A radio works to find out where you buddy is at. Noise does NO GOOD for keeping areas open!
Ace

I am all about proper trail etiquette and keeping riding areas open. There is such a thing as too loud.
The stock muffler is not loud enough to hear through the forest when looking for a someone who's separated from the group.
This is a mountain sled.
If it was for groomed trails, I'd advocate going back to stock.
I hate hearing guys at wfo blasting down a trail with a can that sounds like a straight pipe.
I doubt that boulder mountain in revy or frisbey ridge would be shut down due to noise from snowmobiles.

MXRacer78

2009 Ski-Doo Summit 154 HillClimb edition 800R
2011 Summit Freeride 154 800R E-tec(no wrap version)

#23 BankBuster

BankBuster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Interests:Pool, Ball, Golfing,,, and ya sledding
  • Sled:2016 Summit T3-174 Yellow with ES

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:11 PM

Thanks,

I'm slightly concerned with difficulty in starting the sled first thing in the morning (well to be honest, it's usually about 10:30AM), as I won't have the traditional recoil as backup.  I will have the clutch and a rope. But-10F (-23.3C) is pretty chilly for the mountains where I ride, I hope it I can reliably get the 800 to start in mornings of 5F (-15C), as that is about as cold as I see riding out west.  Worse case (& kinda ugly), keep a set of long, rather light AWG cables in the truck but boost (off the truck) in a really cold morning where the battery won't quite handle it. Or pull out the battery out at night in really cold weather.  Not perfect, but doo-able...  I think I want to try one of these batteries and will order one this fall.

Edited by BankBuster, 14 April 2015 - 12:23 PM.

2016 Summit T3-174 Yellow with ES (on order, GGB Mountain waiting on sled)

05 Summit X HM (ie; 1000 with a 162") (backup sled).
With MODS skis, 9.25" riser, TSS can, 20 tooth top, 15 plate, B.J.'s 06 roller kit, more pin weight, remove the plastic on clutch cover and added holes for cooling, added three 1.125" holes in track, removed the sway bar, rear heat exchanger, tailight/rack (LED light), trim snow flap at crease, all engine compartment foam, gutted outer air box, added scratchers and put idler wheels back in after a bad hyfax experience, Added Doo's jerry can, Digatrons, Boony, and skid plate, thermostat, pods, vent kit, and switched to ultra low windshield. Mid07. Runs pretty good now, IMO.

#24 K-DOG

K-DOG

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Day dreaming & Whiskey
  • Sled:20 RMK Khaos 850

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:53 PM

I ordered the rewind starter kit for my 16 with the sled for the same reasons you give.  Probably never use it but it's there to make me feel better.

Rocky Mountain Whiskey Dreamer

#25 BIG JOHN

BIG JOHN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4818 posts
  • Interests:Sled Head Racing
    Performance mountain/trail snowmobile shop
    Certified DOO tech

612-718-3861
  • Sled:2019 SHR850 FR 165/3

Posted 14 April 2015 - 05:01 PM

bankbuster...

you could give me a ring...offer many simple upgrades and can offer recomendation's on many other mods...all in a days work :smile_old: BJ

Sledhead Racing
PERFORMANCE MOUNTAIN/TRAIL SNOWMOBILE SHOP
Certified Master DOO tech
612-718-3861

SHR840HO/860R/880R/921R -pump gas BB trail motors 
Gen4 850 pipes. turbos, SHR Adjustable Pdrive weights/kits
SHR has your GEN4 dialed!

"Best clutching on the mountain" 

#26 Jordan306

Jordan306

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:Sledding, quading, hunting , fishing
  • Sled:2013 summit xm 800 etec 154

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:43 AM

Just picked up my 2016 Summit X T3 163. I am also interested if anyone has ran a DJ dual elevation kit on their T3?
Add ons so far
-low profile windshield with manta green base
-black headlight covers with Hid bulbs
-2 fog lights mounted on the handle bars
-glovebox liner with heat pad and 12v plug
-custom front bumper powder coated manta green
-HD ski doo rear bumper powder coated manta green
Full Grip n Rip brace kit powder coated manta green
-rail stiffners powder coated manta green
-red snowflap
-linqs Jerry can and medium tunnel bag
-GGB Mtn lite can
-qrs clutch tower brace
-quick clickers
-oil reservoir insert
-extreme skid plate manta green
-Brp prefliter kit
-Elka stage 2 front shocks powder coated manta green springs
-Exit X1 rear shocks powder coated manta green spring
-idler wheel kit powder coated manta green
Think that's all lol

#27 royd

royd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Sled:17 8fiddy 165

Posted 11 October 2015 - 01:09 PM

Jordan-where did you fined the headlight covers? I've been looking for a pair.

#28 jw1978swede

jw1978swede

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Sled:Summit T3 174, Lynx Xterrain 900T

Posted 11 October 2015 - 01:52 PM

Do anybody know more about the Speed shop inc Titanium muffler to ETEC. 3.5 lbs and the company say its not so loud. 

Quality? 

Speed shop seems to use dynotech research to develop the mufflers.

#29 Jordan306

Jordan306

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:Sledding, quading, hunting , fishing
  • Sled:2013 summit xm 800 etec 154

Posted 11 October 2015 - 03:21 PM

Found them on eBay. Were only $20 cdnimage.jpg

#30 jurgy

jurgy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Riding 99 Softtail, Snowmobileing
  • Sled:2016 T3

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:26 PM

When I spring broke my T3 they told me I could have 4 year war. or 3 year war. with elec. start.  So I would assume they all come with manual start and you can opt. for the e.start.  Never have understood why they put electric start on a motor that starts first pull every time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users