Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

CVTech Crank Snapped (not bearing) only 1500 miles.

7K views 34 replies 22 participants last post by  CVTech-AAB 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Last season I put a CVTech crank in my 07 800 Ptek becase it was at 5000 miles and like most other ptek with 5000 miles the crank bearings and pistons went.

Since putting this crank in I have done about 1500miles and now my crank has broke right in half along the counter weight. All the bearings are still 100% fine. Anyone else had issues with CVTech stuff or even factory skidoo cranks?

I wondering if CVTech doesn't balance their cranks or maybe causes damage while pressing them apart and back together to put the rods on. Unfortunately I'm past my 1 year warranty on the crank by about 2 months.

For referance this engine is bone stock and I have the clickers on the primary clutch set up to only rev 7600rpm to try and make the engine last. I know most guys push these engines to 8000+rpm.

Is there another crank rebuilder out there besides CVTech? kinda scared to go with their product again, I know they are a sponsor of the site and probably do great work but after this I'm hesitant to give them my money again

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I've had good luck with they're stuff. Unfortunately its a rebuilt crank, meaning it had a history before they got the core and put new parts on it. It wasn't a part they put on that snapped.Not defending them, just saying how it is. Brp rebuilds them with the same brgs but they're own seals. Likely BRP rod kits too.You probably pay more though. Ask them if they magnaflux parts. If they don't,maybe they should start. Pressure them to help out in some way, even half or something.

#3 ·
I would see if they will work with you. As ZX said, ask if they magnaflux, that should be a standard part of a remanufactured crank. Automotive cranks get magged during rebuilds, especially hi po and race engines. A sled engine is highly stressed and should get magged, though they likely aren't most of the time.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
So I guess this is uncommon, the dealer I bought the CVtech crank through can't do much. Obviously he's just the middle man. They will sell me another CVtech crank for 570+tax. Canadian $ anyone know of a cheaper place in Ontario? Also Trying to get a hold of CVtech but seems they only deal with dealers and not customers.

#7 ·
Did, spoke with Max. Said he can't do much beside rebuild it for me and no they don't magnaflux their stuff. Very hesitant to go with them again since quality control is so low. This isn't a wear problem it's a manufacture defect. If the bearing went I wouldn't be that upset because bearings do wear

#12 ·
unfortunate but this time of year they're probably so busy that you aren't making their priority list and it was out of warrantee. The crank must have been trashed pretty bad but probably 90 percent of their cores are bad bearings so ndt on every crank just increases their costs for a one in a million problem

#14 ·
Send it back to them. With original invoice with a letter telling your story. If they don't good will or help out they can re&re only that side if the rest is good still and save in some money. Will take longer though as a rebuilt crank they will send out right away and credit the core when you send it in. Give them a chance to look at it with there eyes. The worst case is it will cost you some time, money in shipping and maybe a bad crank returned to you?

#16 ·
You bought a rebuilt crank with a one year warranty. Why should they cover it if its past the one year mark? They didn't make the crank, just put new bearings on it. Blame BRP if anyone
Plenty of companies offer "goodwill" go customers when they are past the warranty by such a small amount. I have been on the receiving end of some goodwill work and it was greatly appreciated. Maybe CV Tech should go to BRP and ask for some help from their end? BRP is likely to deny any and all claims, since that's what they do, but maybe this one time they wouldn't......it wouldn't hurt CVT to at least look into it for their customer.

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
Nope, have not had a single belt break. 383 belt lasts me 1000miles and I buy a new one and keep that as a spare. These guys at CVTech should be interested because it's a quality issue. Why don't they check the materials they assemble. I don't want this crank back so I guess I'm stuck with it just as a core for another re-manufactured, some other poor sucker is gonna get this crank, sorry to whoever it is. Probably should be tossed but who knows, not CVtech......

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
They probably will not accept the core, its not repairable.

#22 ·
I've used a few of CVTech's cranks - just put one in my '00 700 at the beginning of the year, Ive never had a problem with their stuff. That being said, even if they magnafluxed the parts the stress fracture could have started after the crank was rebuilt.

Given that you got 1500 miles out of it, it probably started out as something very small and propogated over time.

I used to own an 800 twin - great power but boy was it hard on parts...cranks, bearings, pistons, clutches, the list goes on...marginal design to begin with in my opinion.

Reactions: 77 blizzard
#23 ·
Just a thought here but I was told by many people on here that the 07 800s had a problem with the crank snapping off because the cases are machines too tight against the main bearing, mostly the pto side. They said that the case needs to be line bored or machined or something so they don't squeeze against the bearings so hard. They said it was on the 07 ptek engines. I was about to buy one with a new engine but decided to not to because I know the guy didn't get the case machined. I guess not all did it but many many did. Sucks none the less and I feel for ya but I was search on here and ask alot of questions about that before you go and spend your money for a crank and throw it in. They say once the case machining is done then it fixes the problem.

#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've had good luck with cv tech cranks.... That said, all that I have gotten from them DID require extra straitening beyond how they were received..

Knowing a competent crank guy is priceless.

Hard to point the finger tho.. How many times was it dropped in shipping. Was it a Friday afternoon or Monday morning crank, etc...

#26 ·
Dealt with them for the first time last fall. Spoke with Max and Yannick both. Yannick told me he preferred to rebuild my crank rather than do a core exchange. I had sent him my crank and cases to be line bored and he said he would just keep the same crank and it would save me the core charge. Got everything back in 3 days and was very impressed until assembly time....... They sent me a crank from an older version 800 and the seals wouldn't line up to my case. Called him an he insisted it was my crank. Sent him pictures so he had me send it back on his dime with the cases. Got everything back with the proper crank but again it wasn't my original crank. The threads on the end were damaged previously and chased with a die . Worked fine but still. I called him again and sent pictures again. He said well you got an exchange crank and its rebuilt. thats all fine but its not what they told me it would be. Spent big money with those guys too. So far the sleds great but i doubt I've put 300 miles on it since rebuild. Id definitely look around next time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.