15 BCX blown belt and HOT cluthes - Page 8 - REV-XP / XS Chassis - Renegades / Freeride / Backcountry - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

15 BCX blown belt and HOT cluthes

blown belt hot clutches

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#106 UPMICHIGANDER

UPMICHIGANDER

Advanced Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 1145 posts
  • Sled:2016 Freeride 137 2.25

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:49 PM

I was seeing that too. And more heat the farther up the sheaves. Tells me its clutched to light and going into over drive to fast with to much load on the track. Throw in a secondary that out of alignment and a clutch tower that moves. The frenchies screwed the pooch on this one for sure.

#107 newmachzx06

newmachzx06

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Sled:2015 BCX 800 etec

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:37 PM

The clutch tower moves too??!! Jesus POS skidoo lol. I alteady bought a hrss clutch kit for it....and i have my pin weights at 22.5grams which i find to be alot. Im on clicker 2 also, clicker 3 gives me 8200rpm if i had the money i would love to try a dynamo joe kit to see if its any better for clutch heat etc...

#108 UPMICHIGANDER

UPMICHIGANDER

Advanced Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 1145 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:42 PM

Dj's does do better for heat in my exoerience. Yup it moves. Thats what the QRS tech link that is 200$ solves. There are vids on YouTube showing how much it flexes. The early xp's used to rip the tower from the tunnel from moving so much. So istead of putting the tech link in as stock they just put a couple more rivets into the bottom of the tower

#109 newmachzx06

newmachzx06

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:59 PM

You would have to say dj's is better lol now try and convince my gf to spend another 400$ because the last 400$ i spent was for nothing lol. I will check out those videos....might have to fab up a diy brace myself till i can find more fun money.... Although this kind of spending hasen't been too fun lately lol. I wounder if the inner sheath gets hotter due to the motor heating it or because the secondary is still in too far and the belt rubs more on the inner sheath.....

#110 Trippy

Trippy

Armchair Interweb Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102508 posts
  • Interests:Sticking forks in outlets
    Making PBJ sammiches for the crew
    Polluting the woods with Klotz
  • Sled:Summit G4 165x3 w/ Boondocker turbo

Posted 14 February 2016 - 10:18 PM

When is everyone going to learn that Doo makes a great sled, but they are FAR from perfect out of the box.

Tear them apart and fix the flaws. That's what we have been doing for years.

#111 UPMICHIGANDER

UPMICHIGANDER

Advanced Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 1145 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 06:37 AM

My S, ZX, and Rev were fine out of the box. Put a 1.5 on the rev and zx and a primarary spring. The s was a stock summit. Never had any issues with either of those. The XP is doo s problem child. This clutch technology is from 1996. The tracks keep getting bigger with deeper lugs, the rear suspensions have way more travel which effects clutching, and doo has to pass EPA regs. These sleds have out grown the 20 year old drive line tech. No suprise the RS got a new primary. Long over due. When belts slip and explode on the race track and on tv where everyone can see it, then doo will fix it. Funny how that works.

Edited by UPMICHIGANDER, 15 February 2016 - 06:38 AM.

#112 Ronn

Ronn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Sled:2015 Backcountry X 800, 2020 Summit 850

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:01 PM

When is everyone going to learn that Doo makes a great sled, but they are FAR from perfect out of the box.

Tear them apart and fix the flaws. That's what we have been doing for years.

I get what you're saying, most everything needs a little aftermarket here and there, but don't market something as a backcountry or freeride without having the nuts to back it up.

#113 Dynamo^Joe

Dynamo^Joe

Metalhead

• Sponsors
  • 8816 posts
  • Interests:SUMMIT platform SkiDoo's. Being a student of the TRA clutches.
  • Sled:850, 154, 3" - 13, 872 custom 120, 3"

Posted 16 February 2016 - 01:12 AM

My outside half of the primary was much cooler than the inside part....whats up with that? Like outside 60deg...inside 160deg

Over the years from measuring a pile of clutches on varying engines, I have come to this conclusion - A clutch system always has 3 pulleys cooler than the engine fixed sheave.

The fixed sheave on the primary clutch should run higher temperatures than the other sheave faces - crankshaft heat running through it.

An SDI runs average 45 degrees hotter than a 600 carburetor engine inner sheave - more heat at the crank on the sdi than the carburetor.

The inner sheave should run hotter as a matter of heat law - its attached to the crankshaft and gets a portion of heat from combustion.

#114 newmachzx06

newmachzx06

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:08 PM

Over the years from measuring a pile of clutches on varying engines, I have come to this conclusion - A clutch system always has 3 pulleys cooler than the engine fixed sheave.

The fixed sheave on the primary clutch should run higher temperatures than the other sheave faces - crankshaft heat running through it.

An SDI runs average 45 degrees hotter than a 600 carburetor engine inner sheave - more heat at the crank on the sdi than the carburetor.

The inner sheave should run hotter as a matter of heat law - its attached to the crankshaft and gets a portion of heat from combustion.

I thought it could either be that or from belt misalignment and rubbing on the inner sheath.  Always glad to hear your input Joe... I wish i would have went with your clutch kit for my BCX 2015 800 etec....maybe next year ;)

#115 stmike

stmike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4463 posts
  • Interests:all the big boys toys
  • Sled:2014 800etec BC 2018 summit X 154

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:10 AM

I am running DJ's kit in my BC converted to a 146 X 2.5 summit.I get very little dust and no more black marks from slippage.I find i can craw through deep snow picking a spot in thick bush with out digging a hole or slipping the belt.Works great thanks Joe.

#116 Ronn

Ronn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Sled:2015 Backcountry X 800, 2020 Summit 850

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:41 PM

Went out the other night with a buddy and put the sled through its paces. Chest deep snow, nice climbs lots of stucks. I was by no means nice to it, breaking trail 100% of the time, lots of 10 - 15 sec WOT, skis in the air climbs etc etc you guys get the idea. I cleaned the clutch faces with scotch brite before the ride, just to get an idea of what it would look like when I got back. 

Just tried to upload pictures, I'll have to figure out how and post back. The clutches were really hot, didn't blow a belt and didn't pop a cord. I noticed UPMICHIGANDER posting about a putting a black secondary spring which comes stock in summits. Mine is black, wonder if the dealer changed it when they put the summit sheave in.

#117 newmachzx06

newmachzx06

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 04:03 PM

This is in the freeride thread on the same topic
well ill let the cat out of the bag. I got all my parts warrantied and brp admitted its a known issue. As far as i know im the only one that they have done this for. At least i know im the only case about it on the BOSS website. I got all new clutch parts, the summit shaft, 19/49 gears, and a qrs tech link for free. And all through a dealer that i didnt even buy the sled from. If you go to your dealer and say a guy on dootalk got this deal i promise your answer will be no. I got the opertunity to deal with brp directly. I went about it in a different way then all. I fully expected doo to tell me to get bent so i bought all the stuff myself and a doodoctor floating qrs. That is why i have duplicates of everything im trying to sell at a fraction of new.
You may not have blown a belt yet with 20/45 but if you start climbing you will.
My experience still is that the bedt setup is proper alignment, qrs tech link and a DJ kit.
I dont need vents and in fact plugged 2 with the prefilter kit because my clutches dont get hot anymore.
Pm me if you want more info but my best advice is get a laser thermometer and let that be the determining factor if your belt is slipping or not. If you have a lot of belt dust you are slipping.

That is great for you, but you didnt say how you went about it??!! I think it would be greatly appreaciated by everyone on this site. After all, we are all smashing out heads against the wall and spending our hard earned money on sleds we already paid great amounts for.

#118 UPMICHIGANDER

UPMICHIGANDER

Advanced Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 1145 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 04:15 PM

It says pm me if you want more info.

#119 Gianni_CRX

Gianni_CRX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, quads & sleds...
  • Sled:2016 Freeride 146

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:44 PM

It says pm me if you want more info.

So secretive! I could only imagine what he did to get all those parts for free! Something smells funny... kinda stinky!

Prove it! Cuz I aint believing it! Reveal it to the masses... or don't gloat about it! Probably try and sell me scentsy candle if I PM u! Lol

Edited by Gianni_CRX, 19 February 2016 - 10:46 PM.

Braaap, Braaaaap, Braaaaaaap!

#120 Dura-Rage

Dura-Rage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Sled:2016 Freeride 137

Posted 20 February 2016 - 03:58 AM

He told me all you have to do is ask...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blown belt, hot clutches