15 BCX blown belt and HOT cluthes - Page 10 - REV-XP / XS Chassis - Renegades / Freeride / Backcountry - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

15 BCX blown belt and HOT cluthes

blown belt hot clutches

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#136 Ski-B

Ski-B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5314 posts
  • Sled:2020 Freeride 850

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:33 PM

Floating it will be the answer. Do not use the BRP kit. It will just come apart on you.

Give Brian a call the doodoctor.

The 600 sport sheave is a diff part number than the 900 ace sheave. the 600 sport sheave has held up well for me on my floater.

2020 Freeride 850. My ride.

2018 XRS 850 Sons sled.

2017 Freeride 860R etec. 860BB. Daughters sled.

2015 Freeride 800R etec. All Stock. Wifes sled.

2015 BCX  800R etec. Trail ported. Spare sled.

2014 BCX 800R etec. All stock. Spare sled.

#137 Ronn

Ronn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Sled:2015 Backcountry X 800, 2020 Summit 850

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:03 PM

Floating it will be the answer. Do not use the BRP kit. It will just come apart on you.

Give Brian a call the doodoctor.

The 600 sport sheave is a diff part number than the 900 ace sheave. the 600 sport sheave has held up well for me on my floater

I've had my eye on his kit that's for sure. 

#138 Ronn

Ronn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Sled:2015 Backcountry X 800, 2020 Summit 850

Posted 15 April 2016 - 09:45 PM

Here's the final update, wish it was better news. Turns out that the springs for the clutch were not approved by brp. Their statement was something to the effect of "No further assistance will be granted on this case" They have since closed my file. The dealer has been great throughout and told the rep that I am still having the problem. Again they gave the blanket statement of no further assistance. The rep even told the dealer that I bought the wrong sled for breaking trail... yeah, if you say so... I won't even get into that. 

I was of the opinion that these issues should be taken care of by brp, through warranty. I had this problem since new. I went about it the proper way, opened a case with the dealer, brought it there multiple times, and the case was closed. So can someone remind me of what that 3 year bumper to bumper warranty is really for?

I get it, there are aftermarket parts that can address issues. But most, like me with this type of sled aren't in the mountains doing extreme climbs in bottomless powder. This sled should work, and work as it was advertised. 

Very disappointed.  

#139 kanedog

kanedog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Sled:2016 sp 174

Posted 15 April 2016 - 10:34 PM

Brp warranty blows. Clutch issues. No help from brp or brp dealer AT ALL. $1,000 later and 20 wasted hours of my life I'll never get back.
Imo-brp puts put out unbalanced cranks and clutches with the heavily studied theory that 99% of sledders will not notice the vibration and wear on clutch and engine. By the time the problems are so bad that the sled needs major repair it is out of warranty and brp gets even more if your money. It's a joke. Brp is a corporate scam.
I cringe when I know that I have to walk into a brp dealer. I know that I get to beg for warranty, I get attitude, I get unknowledgeable mechanics(glorified parts changers) not interested in finding the cause of issues, disorganization, confusion of dealer employees, the list goes on.
What good is a 4 year warranty is an excellent question. All it means is that you get to argue and get denied warranty items for 4 years. Total crap.

Edited by kanedog, 15 April 2016 - 10:50 PM.

#140 newmachzx06

newmachzx06

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Sled:2015 BCX 800 etec

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:51 AM

Hello Boys!  Well its that time of year again!! The time we all start watching youtube videos of Skidoos and dreaming about winter lol  This year I not waiting for the snow to arrive to start working on fixing BRP's clutch problems..... I just re-read what that upmichigander got done from BRP to regulate the problem.... It took him over 100 hours of video recording and temp readings to get them to budge and I dont have the time or patience to go through what he did to get them to do something about it....I can tell you from what I have read, a re-gear, a tower brace and a DooDr floating kit is what is coming my way in the near future.  I say DooDr kit because the original from Doo is known to come apart under more extreme conditions...the sheath half are aluminum and just pressed on the shaft....heat..aluminum...expansion...you get my drift lol......So yeah it will cost around a grand to get that damm BCX to run like it should, but hell think of it.....do nothing and keep on buying belts and it wont be long to spend that grand anyway...and think about all the time spent changing those blown belts....and digging yourself out fo a hole since they always blow when you need to get out fo a bad place and you get stuck in the same time.....Hope you all have a great winter and I will be back to tell you hows it going when the snow hits....Here in Gaspe, Québec, that could be before Halloween lollll

#141 Dter1134

Dter1134

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Sled:2013 MXZ

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:27 PM

Brp has been using that short shaft for a while now since the ace I think

They cant be all bad.
Always fixing someone's sled

#142 skidoobrapper

skidoobrapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:rc cars, snowmobiling, honda, guitar
  • Sled:2016 Freeride 137

Posted 29 August 2016 - 12:45 AM

skidoos come with outlines on the inside of the panels to determine vent locations

#143 Daag44

Daag44

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 24844 posts
  • Interests:1973 Olympic
  • Sled:2007 1000 SDI

Posted 01 September 2016 - 12:39 AM

Hello Boys!  Well its that time of year again!! The time we all start watching youtube videos of Skidoos and dreaming about winter lol  This year I not waiting for the snow to arrive to start working on fixing BRP's clutch problems..... I just re-read what that upmichigander got done from BRP to regulate the problem.... It took him over 100 hours of video recording and temp readings to get them to budge and I dont have the time or patience to go through what he did to get them to do something about it....I can tell you from what I have read, a re-gear, a tower brace and a DooDr floating kit is what is coming my way in the near future.  I say DooDr kit because the original from Doo is known to come apart under more extreme conditions...the sheath half are aluminum and just pressed on the shaft....heat..aluminum...expansion...you get my drift lol......So yeah it will cost around a grand to get that damm BCX to run like it should, but hell think of it.....do nothing and keep on buying belts and it wont be long to spend that grand anyway...and think about all the time spent changing those blown belts....and digging yourself out fo a hole since they always blow when you need to get out fo a bad place and you get stuck in the same time.....Hope you all have a great winter and I will be back to tell you hows it going when the snow hits....Here in Gaspe, Québec, that could be before Halloween lollll

Upmichigander certainly did a great job of fixing the overheating belt trouble. To boot he used no floating secondary and even blocked the clutch vents that he had originally made in a futile attempt to correct a basic problem with clutch alignment, gearing and calibration.

#144 Daag44

Daag44

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 24844 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:41 AM

Below are a couple of good posts from UPMICHIGANDER to solve hot clutches and blown belts in deep snow conditions. While there is a mention to PM him, as far as I know he has already shared the essentials in these two posts. The full story can pretty much be found across various topics. I don't believe it is necessary to PM him to get any secrets for the reasons that I just mentioned.

There are also experienced members, sponsors and moderators who have shared their insights on clutch alignment, gearing and clutching. Some of them, like Dynamo^Joe and C & T Powersports can be found from page 2 and on of this topic, while others like MX-Z Man, Krm and Big John can be found in other topics. Instead of suggesting to search and spend countless hours trying to find everything, I added a hyperlink to their handle names so that you can just click to find their posts.

I believe that UPMICHIGANDER provided well rounded informational posts that showed how he addressed the problem with BRP's help and parts (for the most part). There was a mention of a doodoctor floating qrs, but he did not use it to fix the problem. The QRS Tech Link was used, but I don't believe it was necessary. This is the reason why I didn't highlight it in the quotes found below.

There is something that a known racer on the MachZ forum tough me years ago about clutching that always stuck. He said - and I paraphrase in my own words - that I should first learn to how address hot clutches with stock components before getting into fancy mods. He is a racer so obviously he mods, but the point was to avoid cheating the basics. My motto is, if there is a problem then find the cause and fix it.

In another topic a member mashby mentioned the engine torque stopper adjustment (click here). I see this adjustment seldom being mentioned. The Summit has zero clearance due to its nature of riding in deep snow. A Freeride or Backcountry is not setup from factory for everyone. It is simply a base setup meant for the average conditions, riding styles and rider weight. So please feel free to make the necessary adjustments.

Another thing that is seldom if ever mentioned is the function of the engine mounts. They are meant to isolate the vibrations of the engine from the frame. The position of the supports on the engine and the frame affect how the vibrations are conducted to the frame. What is important to remember is the engine Rubber Mounts share the load of the engine torque while it moves to apply a load to the primary. This torque is meant to be shared among the 4 engine mounts as evenly as possible. Any adjustment to the engine stopper or any addition of a torque arm will change the load shared on the 4 engine mounts. So if you make any adjustments to the oem engine stopper or add an aftermarket torque arm, please keep a close eye on all the mounts and make it part of your preseason and midseason maintenance list.

Regarding vibrations, click this link for a good post on the subject for the 800s. This topic has some of the best information imo, including the links provided above. I hope that it helps.

Its a 3 part problem. Just went through it on my freeride. Its bad clutch calibration. Misalignment and gearing.

Summits get a jack shaft that is 3mm longer. There is a bulletin addressing it and states its for heavier snow loads. My freerides secondary was 3.6 mm in towards the chain case. Plus my belt was slipping 100% of the time. Massive amounts of belt dust and hot clutches.

I have a brand new summit jack shaft with bearing and fixed sheave. (Keep your 40 degree helix and your un fixed sheave to attach to this) (requires pulling your bearing)

A black 160/303 secondary spring

441 ramps with spring pins
A purple/pink 260/350 spring
Keep your (18.8 solid pins)

All brand new never used still in the package. 400 plus shipping. Basically getting the ramps and springs for free.

Problem solved for the cost of 2 belts, pm me.

This is in the freeride thread on the same topic

well ill let the cat out of the bag. I got all my parts warrantied and brp admitted its a known issue. As far as i know im the only one that they have done this for. At least i know im the only case about it on the BOSS website.

I got all new clutch parts, the summit shaft, 19/49 gears, and a qrs tech link for free. And all through a dealer that i didn't even buy the sled from. If you go to your dealer and say a guy on dootalk got this deal i promise your answer will be no. I got the opportunity to deal with brp directly. I went about it in a different way then all. I fully expected doo to tell me to get bent so i bought all the stuff myself and a doodoctor floating qrs. That is why i have duplicates of everything im trying to sell at a fraction of new.

You may not have blown a belt yet with 20/45 but if you start climbing you will.

My experience still is that the best setup is proper alignment, qrs tech link and a DJ kit.

I don't need vents and in fact plugged 2 with the prefilter kit because my clutches don't get hot anymore.

Pm me if you want more info but my best advice is get a laser thermometer and let that be the determining factor if your belt is slipping or not. If you have a lot of belt dust you are slipping.

#145 Daag44

Daag44

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 24844 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:54 AM

Here is another post that found very helpful on the subject of belt wear.

http://www.dootalk.c...2#entry16912530

pick a belt...stay with it...clutch to it...dont play musical belts...BJ

If belt wear becomes a real problem, then it is worth investing to monitor belt temps. The folks with SxS and ATVs driven by CVT clutches have done this for many years. However it is the same problem for every owner, too many gauges can drive one crazy. I monitor the clutches with my hands which works fine for me, but if I ever encounter a problem with belt wear that grows out of hand and takes too much of my time and $$$, I won't hesitate to get a little more sophisticated.

#146 Daag44

Daag44

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 24844 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:58 AM

Hopefully the last quote from BJ n another topic wasn't out of context, but I believe it holds true regardless of the underlying problem. It was encouraging to see so many owners take part in this topic and hopefully their experience will prove helpful to others. I sure did for me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blown belt, hot clutches

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users