Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Renegade 800, mid range lag

17K views 76 replies 34 participants last post by  eel125 
#1 ·
Got about 500 miles on new Renegade and have noticed it has a bottom to mid range lag until you hit the power band. Planning on a visit to the dealer but am just wondering if anyone has had the same issue. I can tell it's not normal as my wife is riding a new MXZ 800 and not noticeable on that sled.

#6 ·
I have 1500 miles on mine and it is still there. Thought a clutch kit would help but didn't. It is only noticeable when cruising a trail at about 7200 rpm, if I then ease into the throttle from there, it is pretty dead until the valves open up, then it shoots right up to 7700 and rips. There is no happy median I have found. I either cruise at 7200 rpm which is around 70 mph, or else it is almost full throttle and 90 mph plus, I can't get it to settle anywhere in the middle. Happy to hear any input people have. Sled seems to work fine otherwise.

#7 ·
I have the same lag around 70-75mph on my '15 Freeride. Power band plateaus until the valves open, then pulls hard until I let off. I need to confirm RPM's, but I definitely have this lag. Sled has 390 miles/5% break-in left. Flash update completed at 1.8 miles, original plugs, no fouling issue to date. Stock sled.

#8 ·
I've got the same thing around 70ish, seems like a flat spot when you gently give it more throttle but if you grab a handful then look out! Also had a clutch kit installed and did not help the flat spot. I think its something we have to live with, if anyone has a better answer please let us know.

#9 ·
a lot of people experienced the same thing last year including me, but compared to this year, the 2014 flat spot in the powerband was worse. i am at 1200km on my 2015 and i find it less anoying than last year, but there is still room for improvement on the powervalve calibration for sure.

#10 ·
I noticed that the secondary helix cam p/n changed in 2014 and is the same in 2015. The 2011-13 are the same p/n and I did not have this issue with my 2011 ever which I sold with 6,700 miles on it. It was always spot on. There is just not enough RPM to carry the speed IMO. It does help if you keep your belt tight but will not eliminate the issue by any means.

Anyone know what was changed to the helix in 2014?

#14 ·
Does any body know if adjusting the clutch clickers would help this at at all.. Im having a hard time getting used to this power band ...the other day i was cruising across a lake at about 70 mph, some loose pack snow rpms around 7000 grabbed a little more throttle rpm topped out at 7900 top speed on speedo around 100 .. I tried easing offf throttle to cruise at about 80 to 85 mph and couldnt do it. It was 70 mph or 100 nothing in between ....

#15 ·
Does any body know if adjusting the clutch clickers would help this at at all.. Im having a hard time getting used to this power band ...the other day i was cruising across a lake at about 70 mph, some loose pack snow rpms around 7000 grabbed a little more throttle rpm topped out at 7900 top speed on speedo around 100 .. I tried easing offf throttle to cruise at about 80 to 85 mph and couldnt do it. It was 70 mph or 100 nothing in between ....
If your belt deflection is set correctly, i woulld check your track adjustment, and then adjust clickers higher number!

#16 ·
Belt deflection is fine as is track tension.. I was hitting 8000 rpm that day on more of a hard pack surface ..i realize optimum performanc for the etec is 7900 -8000. Im just wondering if by upping the clickers it would effect that mid range lag...i never ride WOT for more than a minute anyway but i cant seem to get it to stay at 7500 rpm

#17 ·
Mine is a 12 but it had the same issue. Only 800 miles on mine and just like everyone else. Cruising around 50 or so and hit the throttle and for a split second it lags bad. It did it to me at least 8 times. Sometimes within the first hour of the ride. Sometimes hours later. I guess this was a big issue with the 12's and it sure doesn't sound like they fixed it on the 15's. I took mine in and they made sure the Rave nuts were tight and they did a flash update on the ECM. I drove it 200 miles last weekend. Never did it again. However, it did feel like it wasn't as mean and the idle was a little rough. Maybe it was just me. Maybe there is an update out for the 15's all I know whatever they did seemed to cure the lag in my 12.

#18 ·
Had it at the dealer this week and everything checked out ok, dealer was good enough to adjust belt deflection which was out a little and had two men try it out and they both feel everything is working as should. However, did a radar run yesterday at our local club, I ran both sleds to have a fair comparison and the MXZ came out on top. It was a 1000 ft run, Renegade top speed 85 mph and the MXZ top speed 90.1 mph.

#20 ·
We have 2 2014 MXZ X 800 Etecs. Both have this same issue so its not just on the Gade.. You really need a wide open run to get a feel for it. We are baffled by this. The RAVE valves operate on exhaust pressure so no computer control there. I think its a flat spot in the engine torque band with the valve closed. At 7300 you are burping the rave and that causes the lag/hesitation. Could it be tuned out with secondary helix angle? I will call Goodwin Performance. I hear his kit takes this lag out.

#21 ·
It's the way the rave valves are staged for emissions and fuel economy there is nothing wrong with it. Just when the ecu lets it open. It's like a light switch when trying to cruise at high speed it's either 7300 or 7700 nothing in between. This was not noticeable in the older sleds because the raves floated where ever they wanted. Now the ecu keeps them closed as long as possible to maintain emissions and economy.

#22 ·
I aggree. My first etec. I have 500mi. The mid range is flat. I wish it was more responsive(mid range). It will also cut out occasionally when I whack the throttle. It rips in a drag race 8-8100rpm but who drives like that.. I don't think a clutch kit will fix. I hope someone has a fix. It's a great sled.

#32 · (Edited by Moderator)
Same problem here. Accelerates nice to about 70 mph, then from half to 3/4 throttle, hardly anything. Then at about 80 mph when I squeeze the throttle the valves open (?) and she rockets like shot out of a cannon![/quote

I have the same exact thing .....does anybody from BRP read this...any Doo mechanics have an answer ...if this is the way it is i can live with it but will not buy another 800 ...not going to get rid of it anytime soon , just wont buy another ...hopefully there will be a hi output 4 stroke by then in a XRS gade or i hate to admit it i might by a Poo 800...Did i just say that
Same here. I really like my gade but this is annoying as hell!!! I tried a Pro S 800 just the other day it was very consistent in power. Although I thought my etec had more. Anyways I really liked the poo and that might be my next sled if doo doesn't get this straightened out.

#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a 15 x. At 72--7300 it falls on its face. Almost like hitting the brakes at times. Squeeze and squeeze then all of a sudden it kicks in. my buddies 15 xrs 121 plays with me bad. Love the sled but not happy with top end performance. This is my 5th 800etech so I should know how they act. I guess there all different. Seems like it's still in break in mode. Also harder on fuel than previous 800 etechs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.