Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Help..engine light on after tundra 600 ace tip over

10K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  johnallin 
#1 ·
Help! Son in law laid the new 2014 Tundra 600 Ace on its side last weekend. Was crawling along a slight hill and it went over on him - almost slow motion like.

Anyway, we got it shut off, righted and started back up, but the engine light will not go out. Gives off 4 beeps and stays lit. It starts and seems to run fine but with only 44 miles on it I don't want to risk anything. Dealer had me check oil level which is fine, and said to bring in if it doesn't go out. Does anyone have any idea why that light is on?

I'd hate to think this sled won't survive a knockdown... Thank you

#6 ·
There is no fault code displayed anywhere that I can see, just the 4 beeps about 30 seconds after startup and the check engine light stays lit.

It's a pain to get into the dealer, but I'll do what I have to. Just hoping it's something simple I can check and remedy out here. It's unnerving to see the light when oil and everything else checks out...damned sensor I think..

Thank you for any info.

#9 ·
Any updates? My wife tipped her Ace on the left side this past weekend. Took about 20-30 seconds for her to get it shout off. We flipped it over, let it sit a few for the oil to drain back. It fired up as normal and she drove it back home about 10 miles with out issue. Sounds like we got lucky not tripping a code...tether time!

#11 ·
I totally agree - it's bogus that the owner doesn't have a way to 'clear' the fault code.

I did read that once a sensor has tripped to turn on the engine warning light, even disconnecting the battery won't 'clear' it up - you need to have someone with the right tool 'reset' it.

I checked my oil level, and check the coolant... everything was a the correct level... i fired it up, and it runs perfectly - so far for about 100kms.

I also read that the engine warning light will come on and the engine will cut out a different RPMs for different reasons... as an example, at 2,500 rpm it cuts out due to problem 1, and 3,000 due to problem 2. So you could run it a bit, and see if you can throttle past 6,000 rpm (the only cut out point after 6,000 rpm was 8,500 and that's because that's beyond what the engine should rev at). If you can throttle past 6,000 rpm, and the engine doesn't cut out, than you know you don't have one of the specified conditions, and very like don't have issue whatsoever.

Good luck.

#13 ·
Good news! I went on another ride this weekend. After I started it up, the 'check engine' light was still on (and the 4 beeps). We stopped and took a break. After I started it up again, the 'check engine' light was off. I've started and stopped several times since that, and the 'check engine' light remains off... and of course, no beeps.

I guess somehow it's programmed that if the sensor condition does not exist for a certain period of time, or certain number of starts, or certain amount of distance, then the 'check engine' light goes off by itself.

#14 ·
That sounds promising...we need start tapping trees for maple syrup. With all of this snow, the Tundra is the only thing I've got to get in the woods - actually the reason I bought it. It's a shame that I can't get it to the dealer and that they can't tell me what's up - but it is what it is.

We've got taps to set next weekend - hell or high snow - here we come, no options and I didn't buy a New Sled to have it sit around!

#15 ·
...we need start tapping trees for maple syrup.
Glad your sled is running OK, but must be frustrating to not know what was making the check engine light.

Hope we get the weather for a good syrup season. I tap a few trees around the yard and make a few quarts a year just for fun. Bad thing is I think the squirrels are peeing in the buckets when I'm not looking....

#16 ·
Hair Plant Tree Water bottle Plastic bottle

I tap a few trees around the yard and make a few quarts a year just for fun. Bad thing is I think the squirrels are peeing in the buckets when I'm not looking....
You should try these sap bag holders...we use them around here - neater and easier to store than buckets - and no squirrel pee!

Attachments

#18 ·
You know... it is virtually impossible for the ECU to sense everything - so it has to be kind of unassuming.

In this case, for all it senses, you did in fact run it low on oil. It has no way of knowing that the sled just tipped over and the oil pump lost prime for a short time. The ECU has to be kind of dumb in this case and make a big deal about the low oil situation.

As a consequence it sets the CEL and a code which probably means "low oil pressure detected". Even though the problem is fixed, the ECU wants the operator to know this happened so it leaves the CEL on for awhile.

On cars/trucks the OBDII (On Board Diagnostics II) has the same kind of logic when it comes to setting and "automatically" clearing the CEL. Example, you might have a problem which is causing random misfires. The ECU will have a threshold for the maximum allowed misfires before it sets the CEL. Once the CEL is on it will stay on until the problem goes away for so many miles. Say all you needed to do was fill up with a better grade of fresh gas. The problem would go away and the ECU would automatically clear the CEL.

Mind you, not all CEL's are self healing. It depends on the logic in the ECU.

I bought the CanDooPro Diagnostic Scantool for this very reason. If that CEL comes on I want to know what the fault code is ASAP.

BTW, if you did not have oil pressure you would hear the hydraulic lifters making a tapping noise. IMO, do not run the sled like that. It's tow sled time.

#19 ·
I finally took the Tundra to the dealer to be checked out.

As it turned out, the control unit had sensed low oil, but only that one time. Apparently the control unit will log and note engine hours for any faults, each time the sled is started. In my case there was only one and nothing after...so all is good. I owe thanks to Loudermilk Tractor and Cycle in Ashtabula for the fast turnaround - they checked it while I waited.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.