Photo

Need new helmet: Fullface or goggles+open face MX style?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#16 Glasseater

Glasseater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Sled:2003 mxz rev 600

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:05 PM

I switched to an open face 2 years ago and would never go back.  I'm comfortable with it and the skidoo mountain balaclava until about -25, then it starts getting cold and I throw on the original modular helmet I have.

The open face is the primary helmet due to lack of fogging, better visibility, and it is much easier to breath.  The breath box inside the modular I have is very very restrictive, the open face I feel as though I can breath perfectly fine all day with any level of effort.

'03 mxz rev 600HO
'09 mxz 600ETEC
'04 renegade 800HO
00 grand touring 600

#17 michigan500ss

michigan500ss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling, cars, anything with a motor!!
  • Sled:2012 Ski Doo MXZ XRS 800R E-Tec

•    

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:08 PM

People who wear open face are confused biker wannabe 509 sledders.  They wear cool MX helmets with gold or orange tint lenz goggles so people will think they are cool....they wannabe mountain riders but really only ride the trails like everyone else.... :laugh_old:

There is a reason snowmobile helmets exist.  They are for SNOWMOBILING!

Personally, I would get a used BV2S on Ebay or Craigslist or here in the classifieds.  $200 will get you a great helmet.

I'm sorry but I disagree 100%. I have worn my HJC cl-x5 for 5 years and don't get me wrong I have a closed face for days -20 and below, but for 95% of the time my open face works great. I think you should try it for yourself and I bet you that you won't switch back! 

The degree of vision, plus wearing a lighter helmet makes open face helmets the best bet anyday.

I just recently upgraded to 509's new carbon fiber helmet as I needed a nice upgrade from my old open face helmet.

2012 Ski Doo XRS 800R E-Tec Spring Ordered
2006 Ski Doo MXZ Adrenaline 500ss:
-Straight X bar w/ bar pad
-Summit Riser w/ rox adapter
-Temp guage
-Gearing 21:43
-Sno-X Billet Rox Handguards black/black
-Blown Concept graphics kit

Posted Image

Subscribe to my Youtube GoPro Riding Videos!

#18 cutiswalker_

cutiswalker_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Sled:2008 mxz x 600HOsdi (MOD)

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:42 PM

Like the title says. I do most of my riding in NH on trails and across the lake. What would you guys recommend? I have a set of oakley Crowbar goggles that I use for snowboarding already. Those that ride open face + goggles, do you wear anything under the helmet to seal any gaps? Either way you ride, recommend me a good budget helmet. The rents are begging me for christmas ideas.

Thanks

I will only ever buy a mx style helmet with goggles!!!  here's what me and my friends do. first get a small piece of tape and cover the face vents, this prevent air flow to your face making it warmer. ( that also goes with other vents, if you buy an mx style bucket with lots of vents you will want to close up whatever you can, but do it on the inside). second go to a skidoo dealer or royal and buy yourself an expensive balaclava that's thick!, you can actually buy really warm ones (honestly I could rock mine with no helmet and just goggles, at -40 at 100km/h and still be warm). thirdly, buy goggles that fit your helmet, I personally use huge snowboard bubble lens goggles, some fit some helmets some don't so check it out before you buy. you want a tight seal! forth, if you find those options too cold ( there's probably something wrong with you) you can always buy a non rebreathe piece that Velcro's into the mx helmet and creates a cup piece over your chin and face, blocking all wind. finally, well with is an obvious, but don't put on wet clothing/balaclavas and go out to ride! 

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=p-MPWVpvSpc

honestly the mx helmets look way better then closed faces, some people think your nuts, but if you actually do what I just told you, you'll be laughing because its very warm set up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

2005 RS 650cc rev MOD& 2008 mxz x 770HOsdi crossover mod Hit er BIG or Hit her HOME check out my Instagram -> http://instagram.com/curtiswalker8CHEERSCurtis Walker <p> :explosion:

#19 MZ800

MZ800

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,285 posts
  • Sled:1999 mach Z 800 2012 GSX SE 1200

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:54 PM

I'm sorry but I disagree 100%. I have worn my HJC cl-x5 for 5 years and don't get me wrong I have a closed face for days -20 and below, but for 95% of the time my open face works great. I think you should try it for yourself and I bet you that you won't switch back! 

The degree of vision, plus wearing a lighter helmet makes open face helmets the best bet anyday.

I just recently upgraded to 509's new carbon fiber helmet as I needed a nice upgrade from my old open face helmet.

I honestly cant try one if I even wanted to try it out.

I can't image how good I would look if the sun hit my shiny gold lense the right way...I'd have to ask people to take pictures of me and that would distract my riding....besides, I look good enuf already....

If I went Carbon Fiber it would be less weight and I would go faster...my sled is too fast already...

#20 cutiswalker_

cutiswalker_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Sled:2008 mxz x 600HOsdi (MOD)

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:56 PM

I wouldn't use snowboard goggles for sledding. They most likely won't be big enough to cover your whole face and will also fog a lot easier than vented goggles meant for snowmobiling.

I use snowboard goggles and they are a lot better, they come in all different shapes and sizes just gotta get the right ones, they also do not fog at all unless you buy "edit for bad language". they look better and snowboard goggle technology is way better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

2005 RS 650cc rev MOD& 2008 mxz x 770HOsdi crossover mod Hit er BIG or Hit her HOME check out my Instagram -> http://instagram.com/curtiswalker8CHEERSCurtis Walker <p> :explosion:

#21 michigan500ss

michigan500ss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling, cars, anything with a motor!!
  • Sled:2012 Ski Doo MXZ XRS 800R E-Tec

•    

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:08 PM

I honestly cant try one if I even wanted to try it out.

I can't image how good I would look if the sun hit my shiny gold lense the right way...I'd have to ask people to take pictures of me and that would distract my riding....besides, I look good enuf already....

If I went Carbon Fiber it would be less weight and I would go faster...my sled is too fast already...

blink_old.gif.pagespeed.ce.LkyFnvXIaJ.gi

It's perfectly fine to have an opinion about a topic, but bashing people ^^^ who wear open face vs. closed is just downright stupid.

To the OP,  both choices are good choices but it should depend on your riding style. Some prefer closed face and some prefer open face, but if you were looking for an open face helmet, 509 and HJC makes a great product at a good price.

http://www.upnorthsp...detail&_ID=9129

http://www.upnorthsp...etail&_ID=12158

2012 Ski Doo XRS 800R E-Tec Spring Ordered
2006 Ski Doo MXZ Adrenaline 500ss:
-Straight X bar w/ bar pad
-Summit Riser w/ rox adapter
-Temp guage
-Gearing 21:43
-Sno-X Billet Rox Handguards black/black
-Blown Concept graphics kit

Posted Image

Subscribe to my Youtube GoPro Riding Videos!

#22 fishndude3

fishndude3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Interests:Sleds & Harleys
  • Sled:04 GADE / 05 SDI GADE/ 11 Etec GADE

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:54 PM

I have a BVS2 and an MX. Never wore the Modular at all last yr, never had to. My Scorpion with 509, castle, smith all worked to perfection. Never was cold.

I see they have the Scorpions on clearance at Jafrum for $115. You cant go wrong. still have change for a couple sets of goggles. ( This Lid is as light, as most high end MX helmets. works wonderfully, and looks awesome. )

I paid close to 4 bills for my BVS2!

Better to HAVE it and not NEED it, than to NEED it and not HAVE it! LOL!

#23 hpindy

hpindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts
  • Interests:Putting sad faces on 800's since 2012
  • Sled:2011 Ski Doo GTX SE XRS

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:24 PM

"Mx helmets are lighter" ... how weak are some peoples necks? I wear my modular 2 for 12 hours some times.... i dont even know its there..

"Mx helmets breath better" some people need to quite smoking and /or hit the gym... i have no issue what so ever breathing with my modular 2..

"Mx helmets have better vision" ... no way ..the field of view with a modular 2 or bvs2 fantastic.... yes some cheaper helmets might block some field of view..
You are limited to size of the goggle lens...modular 2 10 times the lens surface area...

"Mx helmets are safer"" really?? With that big opeing there a stick or what not can poke you. Not happening with the modular.

"Mx helmets are not cold" ya ok and snow is not white... with the big hole in the face plus vents and high neck line... so now you need belaclavas, breath boxes, dickies, etc just to try and not get frost bite.... plus it takes 1/2 just to get your helmet on ....
Modular 2 pop it on and go.... warm and comfy all day long no matter the temp.....
1200 4Tec...... putting sad faces on 800 owners since 2009
9200 RPMS.... you got to spin it to win it!
Hp Indy.... spin it "n" grin it

#24 Yamadoo500

Yamadoo500

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,609 posts
  • Interests:Sleds only seem to work right during the summer...
  • Sled:15' Switchback Assault 600

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:59 PM

I use snowboard goggles and they are a lot better, they come in all different shapes and sizes just gotta get the right ones, they also do not fog at all unless you buy "edit for bad language". they look better and snowboard goggle technology is way better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

MOST snowboard goggles that I have looked at are too small for my helmet. I did buy a nice pair of smith goggles but still got cold. I would have to disagree with you on that technology statement. Snowmobiling goggles are made for snowmobiling specificity because they use special vests and are fitted with foam differently. Now that's not to say that snowboarding goggles won't work but I just think that you are much better off with purpose specific equipment. What kind of you use?

#25 MNwild

MNwild

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Sled:2013 MXZ 600 Sport

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:02 PM

Wow.  Some very strong opinions on this issue.  For me, it came down to which helmet was most comfortable/fit best on my head.

#26 zxHollywood

zxHollywood

" We're all here, cause we ain't all there"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,321 posts
  • Interests:woodworking
    bass fishing
    the great outdoors
    free thinking
  • Sled:2003 mxz700 x

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:16 PM

I love the freedom of a mod 1 or 2  without any  breath mask and  a heated shield.    It never freezes up....easy enough to modify shield   so there aren't any leaks :)  

I like the snox style lids,...but they allow a ton of coolness up under your chin.

Powder to the people :rockindude:https://www.youtube....h?v=adE3Ldy0TME

#27 NHRoadking

NHRoadking

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts
  • Sled:2018 Summit SP 154 E-TEC 850

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:21 PM

Bought a Gmax GM11s.  You can use goggles with it or the face shield.  Face shield flips up under the visor and is out of the way and not visible.  

Comes with a clear double face shield, chin curtain, and breath deflector.  You can also get a heated face shield for it

#28 fishndude3

fishndude3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Interests:Sleds & Harleys
  • Sled:04 GADE / 05 SDI GADE/ 11 Etec GADE

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:21 PM

U need to try a few. I have both and like both. My MX is lighter, more comfy, and DOES offer a better field of view. If you have the right fitting goggles and bakalava you wont get cold.
I never took my BVS2 out of its case last year.

Love my Scorpion, 509s, and Klim Arctic.
Better to HAVE it and not NEED it, than to NEED it and not HAVE it! LOL!

#29 irondogger13

irondogger13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 918 posts
  • Sled:summit 880

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:33 PM

I wouldn't use snowboard goggles for sledding. They most likely won't be big enough to cover your whole face and will also fog a lot easier than vented goggles meant for snowmobiling.

your oakleys will actually work great i have a couple pairs.  Until i switched to klims last year i tried no joke maybe 20 pairs of goggles.  Oakleys have some of the best lens out there the high intesity yellow is great just a little delicate.  In the northwest it's sooo humid with wet snow and your working hard mountain riding your goggles constantly fog (the reason i tried so many).  The klims fit my helmet tighter and i like the blue lens they offer and i use quick straps which  don't work with the oakleys.  Look at motorcycle closeouts they usually have great deals on helmets.  mx  with a balaclava (klim covert) to me is only way to go you can change goggles and lens during a ride depending on conditions plus better feel to me.  The best helmet hands down i have just about 5 rides on mine got it end of last season  arai VX pro 3 they have a bunch of different size pads you can order to get exact fit but $$$.  Some mx style helmets have "cold weather kits" that block air vents and deflects your breath down more.  

#30 SummitSledr

SummitSledr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:sledding, skiing, trail riding YZ
    making made in USA clothing in
    Colorado
  • Sled:99' 600, 08' 800R XP

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:57 AM

Just bought the BV2S yesterday.  Got a great deal from my local shop 

2 Mile High Ski Doo in Leadville, CO.   I have to say after a short hour ride that I

am impressed.  I always perceived there to be a benefit from the face

mask, and it is nice.   Haven't been out much this year so I had one 

digging session where I really had to exert some energy and effort to free 

the sled with my shovel.  In the past I would take my helmet off because

I would fog the face shield.  Not this time.  I kept the face mask in place

and even though I was breathing harder (this was about 10,000+ - feet

I did not have the fog issue.  It was about 9 deg F I think so def not a

time to ride with my Bell Moto.

I like the front shield and the amber partial amber lens.  I was in low light 

conditions and used both off and on.   I did not get the heated shield 

because it is extra money and the helmet is more than I have ever spent

on a helmet.  Hopefully that is something that I can add in 

the future if it seems necessary.  I did not have the batteries installed

on the rear brake light.  I was alone anyway.  I am reading through the 

manual this morning.   It also came with a flashlight that attaches to helmet,

but not sure if I will use this or not yet. 

I wear a 7 1/2 " fitted baseball cap and I was able to use the XL.   It was 

tight going in but once on fit really well.  I do not think I need to use any 

kind of balaclava under this helmet.  The collar of my jacket fit up into the 

bottom of the helmet 360 deg around and then the BV2S neck gaiter 

velcro'd into place effectively sealing the front from drafts.  I had very good

visibility through the helmet.

My Biz

www.freeridesystems.com

Made in Colorado

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users