Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Bad EGT Probe, 2013 SWT 600 E-tec

9K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  sdicker 
#1 ·
I've searched and found a lot of threads on this subject but I don't know if my new Skandic is set up like other sleds or not.

800 miles on sled, check engine lite came on, dealer said EGT sensor bad, 1 week availability.

What are the ramificatins of running this sled with bad sensor until new one comes in?

#2 ·
With 800 miles on the sled and no known problems besides the EGT there shouldn´t be a problem to run the sled in normal conditions and on good gasoline.

Depending on what defect/code the EGT has you could get the rev limiter to step in around 5500 rpm and ECM not allowing the RAVE valves to open, can be a problem if you for example are in deep slob/slush or similar.

When you get into rev limit, stop and restart and get going again.

Codes are

P0426 EGT sensor problem....

P0427 EGT low voltage.....

P0428 EGT High voltage....

There´s also the possibility to solder a resistor of 300 or 500 ohm and bypass the EGT probe if needed, good thing to have one in the pocket out there in the back country to avoid having to limp home.

EGT resistance chart below

Attachments

#4 ·
You will soon miss the 600 ace when that E-tec goes into limp mode. LOL
Just giving you the gears. :)

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
On the 600 ETEC I´ve seen 0428 once when I had forgotten to plug in the connector :blush_old:, I presume it´s the same codes for the 800 ETEC and i heard they can be sensitive if you for example changed the stock muffler .

So, it can happen if the EGT are disconnected or faulty!

Actions are the obvious

1. Check connector and cables EGTS and ECU

2. Check the EGT sensor for 215 to 225 ohms at 19 to 21 C// 66 to 70·F , out of specs =replace

It can also be mapping oriented and a reflash can help

#9 ·
It will reset and store the code in the history.

As long as you nursed the EGT like a baby it should work, just tighten it back in place with 45 Nm/33 lbf ft and check connector.

What happens when the EGT comes loose are that the reading will be 720 C/1328 F steady and the 0428 code gets activated with rpm limited at 5500 rpm and ECM not allowing the RAVE valves to open.

#10 ·
It will reset and store the code in the history.

As long as you nursed the EGT like a baby it should work, just tighten it back in place with 45 Nm/33 lbf ft and check connector.

What happens when the EGT comes loose are that the reading will be 720 C/1328 F steady and the 0428 code gets activated with rpm limited at 5500 rpm and ECM not allowing the RAVE valves to open.
Well thank you, still have snow so I'll do more riding to see for reset.

Dan

#11 ·
I ran my 600 etec xu last spring for a 120klm return full throttle with the sensor gone, so I unplugged it and end up blowing a hole in the muffler after it got too hot. Engine light came on and went into limp mode but when I unplugged the sensor she ran fine.Good times but expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.