#1 REVCAT

REVCAT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Sled:,2006 440 mxzx, 2006 800HO summit 144

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

Bought my last sled in the states in 2005 and got the clearance letter from BRP easily and for free back then. NOw I hear its $300 bucks ( "edit for bad language"s ) . My questions is I am looking at another sled in the states and wondered if the clearance letter can come from the the US owner and If its cheaper to get the letter from a US dealer. IF anyone has experience with this please let me know. I will still buy either way but hey money is money.

thanks for the info

MIke

#2 x-treme

x-treme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,684 posts
  • Interests:snowmobiling,motorcycling,golf
  • Sled:09 1200 GSX Limited

•    

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

If your talking about a letter to verify that all recalls and or service bulletins have been done, I sold a sled to a canadian a few years ago and my dealer faxed the information to him for free.

#3 Boddysurfer

Boddysurfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • Interests:Skiing, Snowboarding, Kayaking, anything in the mountains.
  • Sled:2012 Freeride 154x2.5 with tMotion

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:37 PM

American dealer will supply recall letter for free. Seller will be able to get the info no problem.
Will trade any of my 2012 Gold parts for 2013 Orange parts.

Wanted Blue Xp Side Panels and Hood

Wanted 160/350 Primary Spring

PM for more info.

#4 adamadam

adamadam

RS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts
  • Sled:2014 Freeride 137

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:40 PM

Good things to know, I may have to get my next sled out of the states, hard to find race sleds in Canada it seems.

2014 Freeride 137

2012 MXZ 550f

2012 Norco Traux 1

2006 Suzuki RM 125
Bunch of RC trucks

Ford F150 FX4 EcoBoost - 6" Lift 35" Micky T

Chevy Cobalt
www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMKKLMds_q4&list=UUFOrmejBh7NmoaJonwHbUbQ&index=3

#5 Ditchbangr zx

Ditchbangr zx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,771 posts
  • Sled:99 mxz 600 136"

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:09 AM

RIV.ca is the site you have to read, the rules and everything is listed and by the sounds of it you have to pay $200-300. Never done it but I would check the web site out for info before you show up at the border with a sled.

#6 REVCAT

REVCAT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:31 AM

yah I had to pay 190 last time to register the sled with RIV, everyone does for any plateable vehicle or trailer. No big deal but now that BRP charges ( ive read ) $300 it puts at least $500 on top of anything we buy over in the US. Usually its still cheaper , I ve been looking at 09 summits that I can buy in US for cheaper than anyone selling any 08 xp with twice the miles in Canada. MOst of that is due to the ridiculous prices we pay in Canada for sleds compared to US.

#7 razer

razer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Sled:2 xs's 2 xr's

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

If the recall letter comes from bomb they will flag that ser# and void warranty, Can or US.

#8 hparaptor

hparaptor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Sled:2010 Renegade 1200

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:12 PM

Did this when selling my 05 REV.

RIV wasn't an issue, but required the recall notice from the dealer. Once they learned how to do it, its a simple procedure. Bringing the machines in is another headache. My customs agent was a hardass and found the most expensive price to determine the machine value and maximize the import fee.

As posted, check out riv and the cibc websites for importing vehicles from the states.

#9 JayC

JayC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Sled:2011 MXZX 800r etec

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

As I have stated in previous posts....I have done this many times. If you are buying a sled privately (ie: from some dude out of his garage in NY State for example) there is NOTHING in it for any US dealer to provide you with a recall clearance letter. I happen to have made nice with a dealer in NY state that has provided me with a letter (on his letterhead) accompanied by a printout from his BRP database that states there are no outstanding recalls on the machine that I intend on exporting to Canada. (this dealer knows my face and sees me buying oil, gear, parts etc from his shop) What I found interesting: right on the printout from BRP's database when querying a VIN, in BOLD letters...it states "NOT TO BE CONSIDERED A RECALL CLEARANCE LETTER" This is obviously because people have sent this in with their import package to RIV when exporting a sled from the US to Canada.

Now, if you bought a used sled from a US dealer, and you were planning on exporting it home to Canada, I dont see why they wouldn't check their DB for you and provide a recall clearance letter. However, if you just walk in and say you bought a sled from Joe Blow and want a RCL....they may not be so quick to help.....

To answer your question....No, the "owner" cannot provide you with a RCL....as RIV states, it must come from the manufacturer with the BRP's letterhead (or an authorized dealers letterhead) as well as the VIN and a signature from an authorized person. It's a PIA.

I called some Ontario Ski-doo dealers and asked about this last time....they just laugh and say "sure, I'll get you a clearance letter....bring me your VIN # and $300"

How can we blame them when BRP discounts the same sleds sold south of the border in which they are made??

Sleds:

2011 MXZX 800 etec

2009 TNT 500 ss

1981 Citation 277

"I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then"

- Bob Seger

#10 hydroman

hydroman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Sled:08 600 SDI Renegade

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

When I imported a used sled, the dealer of the seller gave the letter as a favor to the seller. Probably cause he wanted to sell a new sled to the seller.

If BRP has to resort to terror tactics($300 letter), then it clearly shows how crooked low they are willing go, rather than be moral and practice fair pricing.

#11 razer

razer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Sled:2 xs's 2 xr's

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:24 PM

the last used sled I imported cost me $250 for the rcl, paid it to my dealer, total bs.

#12 MX-Z Man

MX-Z Man

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,396 posts
  • Sled:'15 800X ATV: '13 Outlander 500XT

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:33 AM

When I sold mine last year my dealer provided the letter free of charge.

As always, there is more than the purchase price when considering a dealer, and things like this are another example of that. Get a dealer you can work with and they'll work with you too.

It also benefits your dealer to help you out - as long as you're buying another one.
Posted Image

The XP is the most fun sled ever made - but I like my XR more.

No Need to Freeze - buy a set of these! http://www.coldguards.com/

#13 westrip

westrip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Interests:Sleds, Dual Sport Bikes, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes, White Water Rafting, Kayaking, Canoeing, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Skiing, Snowboard, Mountaineering, Carpentry, Mechanics, Music, Travel
  • Sled:07 Summit XRS 800R

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:57 PM

I sent in my letter from the states that has the red ink, This is Not A Recall Clearance Letter, to RIV. My sled needed manifold bolts recall, I had the guy get that done and sent that printout with work done to RIV also. They RIV accepted these papers as a clearance letter. As a bonus, Canadian Tire did not charge for their inspection, part 2, form 2.

#14 JayC

JayC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Sled:2011 MXZX 800r etec

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:11 PM

I sent in my letter from the states that has the red ink, This is Not A Recall Clearance Letter, to RIV. My sled needed manifold bolts recall, I had the guy get that done and sent that printout with work done to RIV also. They RIV accepted these papers as a clearance letter. As a bonus, Canadian Tire did not charge for their inspection, part 2, form 2.

Canadian Tire never charges anyone.....always free to the importer...RIV pays them

Sleds:

2011 MXZX 800 etec

2009 TNT 500 ss

1981 Citation 277

"I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then"

- Bob Seger

#15 REVCAT

REVCAT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:12 PM

I dont think there ever was a charge at Canadian Tire, I never got anything my first time either. That is what the money to the RIV covers is what was explained to me at the border. What about notifying the US side that you are bringing a sled through? I have heard supposed to be 72 hrs notice, I did not know that the first time but I had no issues going through at the Sioux side.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users