#16 Huntfish17

Huntfish17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Sled:08 rs600

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:57 AM

i had the exact same problem... 08 500ss, the pto side went on it, ripped it apart and it turns out the bearing was all loose

Posted Image

#17 revx440HO

revx440HO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Sled:m8BBxp

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:01 PM

Best thing to do is get the crank out first. If it is just the outer bearings you could just fix that.
If the inner bearings feel questionable I would replace the crank. By the time you buy all the bearings and seals it is cheaper to get a reman doo crank. To replace the inner bearings the crank has to be split.
With the cost of that and parts it adds up in a hurry. I would also stay away from inferior bearings.

#18 marc_brown98

marc_brown98

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,433 posts
  • Sled:2006 662 Gade, 2013 SwitchBack Assault

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

Having just went through this situation on my 06 500ss, you have a few choices, buy a used crank, assemble the motor with aftermarket pistons and sell, trade. Buy a remanned crank from doo or any of the reputable companies and replace the pistons, or have your crank gone through and replace all bearings, seals, etc. Replacing just the bad bearing will not necessarily fix the problem as there is likely damage to other bearings/seals since metal circulated through that side of the motor. If you intend to keep it, fix it right so you don't have to do it again.
Work harder. Millions of people on welfare are depending on you!!
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. " -- George Orwell

#19 snow dance

snow dance

AKA- Dances with Snow , Snowmageddon Warrior

• DOOCrew
  • 5,948 posts
  • Interests:I have no interest.Take a hint.

Other than the snow dance,I also tango,river dance and do a pretty mean polka.

I'm also taking an online course in braille.
  • Sled:06' gade 600ho sdi,82' Citation 4500

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. " -- George Orwell
For someone that has this statement on their page the suggestion to throw in some pistons and sell or trade the sled is quite ironic.
That really should not be an option.

#20 marc_brown98

marc_brown98

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

For someone that has this statement on their page the suggestion to throw in some pistons and sell or trade the sled is quite ironic.
That really should not be an option.

I said, buy a used crank then put new pistons in it and sell/trade. I did not say to lie or deceive anyone. Personally I would not sell a sled motor that I would not ride myself, I was just laying out a few options. :)

#21 snow dance

snow dance

AKA- Dances with Snow , Snowmageddon Warrior

• DOOCrew
  • 5,948 posts
  • Interests:I have no interest.Take a hint.

Other than the snow dance,I also tango,river dance and do a pretty mean polka.

I'm also taking an online course in braille.
  • Sled:06' gade 600ho sdi,82' Citation 4500

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

I reread it and your correct.Sorry.Just poking fun anyway.

#22 marc_brown98

marc_brown98

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

I reread it and your correct.Sorry.Just poking fun anyway.

Yup. No problem, but yes, people do that kind of thing all the time, replace 1 bearing and away it goes to the next person. If buying a used sled, I usually factor in at least a fresh top-end, minimum.

#23 x-man800

x-man800

1200 Trail King

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts
  • Interests:Gettin' the skis up, Hunting, Fishing, Fixing Sleds, Bench Racing, Dootalking
  • Sled:2012 Renegade Adrenaline 1200

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:42 AM

new crank, then sell it
2012 Renegade Adrenaline 1200 XR
Doo skid plate
Linq bag and gas caddy
96 Stdus up the center
Doo Mirrors

#24 zxmodv

zxmodv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Sledding! Skiing, boating, kart racing,m/c roadracing
  • Sled:'04 Rev 770,'00mxz700,'00zrt600,

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

I recently blew a crank bearing out on my SS, my question is, is what should i do with the crank? Should i get it sent away to a shop to put new bearings pushed on? Buy a used crank with good bearings? What are all the reasons that could have caused this? i purchased the sled with the odometer not working so i have no idea how many miles are on it...any input would be great..
Thanks

Are you really happy with the sled? Does it make you grin from super tiny ear to super tiny ear? Did you ride it long enough to be able to make the decision of whether its a keeper? That crank is $500 from cvtech.It has iron bores, so the top end rebuild wouldn't be too pricey.And if your buying another one used, like the previous post said, consider you'll probably have to do at least a top end. The sled manufacterers basically all consider the 2 strokes to be worn out at 5000 miles if they've been left stock. Anything past that and the pistons can easily fail, because of the're hard life. The isoflex cranks need fresh bearings, grease, seals,and careful measurement of the big end brgs,trueness, and phase.Your just plain lucky to get more out of it without some kind of failure.Now lots of guys will jump on this saying how they got 10000 miles using a certain kind of oil.But a high output 2 stroke is a grenade with the pin pulled after that mileage.Good luck! At least you've got lots of time!

#25 04rev500

04rev500

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Sled:04 rev 500ss

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

i might end up buying a used crank and rebuild the top end but lately i dont got the money to spend on it especially when the winters in se mn are so unpredictable..so i might sell it as is. how much do u guys think i could get out of it?

Geared two teeth lower on top gear for more acceleration. It is all blacked out with green accents. All green has been professionally powdercoated, tunnel braces, It has rsi carbon handlebars, 6in bar riser, rsi bar pad, 121x2 track (really good condition), silencer(sounds good!) both rear shocks are from a 03/04 mxzx 440 racer. c36 hi/lo compression adjustable ($620 into those but you will never have to worry about bottoming out the sled.) Front shocks are also aftermarket but these i did not purchase so i couldnt tell u the brand, you also will also never bottom these out! c&a skis.
that is straight from my add on craigslist.

Are you really happy with the sled? Does it make you grin from super tiny ear to super tiny ear? Did you ride it long enough to be able to make the decision of whether its a keeper? That crank is $500 from cvtech.It has iron bores, so the top end rebuild wouldn't be too pricey.And if your buying another one used, like the previous post said, consider you'll probably have to do at least a top end. The sled manufacterers basically all consider the 2 strokes to be worn out at 5000 miles if they've been left stock. Anything past that and the pistons can easily fail, because of the're hard life. The isoflex cranks need fresh bearings, grease, seals,and careful measurement of the big end brgs,trueness, and phase.Your just plain lucky to get more out of it without some kind of failure.Now lots of guys will jump on this saying how they got 10000 miles using a certain kind of oil.But a high output 2 stroke is a grenade with the pin pulled after that mileage.Good luck! At least you've got lots of time!

Attached Files

#26 marc_brown98

marc_brown98

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

looks like a kitty.. :)

#27 TT670

TT670

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,089 posts
  • Sled:'14 GSX 1200 SE/'09 XP 700

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:18 PM

looks like a kitty.. :)

Right now it runs like one too :checkerd

#28 04rev500

04rev500

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Sled:04 rev 500ss

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:02 PM

Exactly!!!! Hahaha

1335842325[/url]' post='3844600']
Right now it runs like one too :checkerd

#29 snowfreak56

snowfreak56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,365 posts
  • Sled:04rev500ss 95mach1 04gsx600sdi

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:32 AM

I just could not do that to my DOO... :revinmotion:

#30 zxmodv

zxmodv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Sledding! Skiing, boating, kart racing,m/c roadracing
  • Sled:'04 Rev 770,'00mxz700,'00zrt600,

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:39 AM

Exactly!!!! Hahaha

That looks like a clean, well organized shop! Very nice. Cool sled,too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users