Photo

Advanced TEC Helium 30 Jacket Review

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Irondog

Irondog

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Interests:Seriously?
  • Sled:2013.5

•    

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:17 PM

This is my second Helium 30 Jacket, it is very similar to the one I bought two years ago. There are a couple of changes from the original. First, the magnet closures that were in the front flap have been replaced by Velcro, my personal preference was the magnets over the Velcro. The Velcro offers a more secure seal against opening, but Velcro can also be a pain in the neck at times, the male side of the Velcro grabs hold of anything that's fuzzy, hats, fleece, hood socks and small fury animals. The magnets were great, they sealed the flap and were easy to open close.

The original Helium 30 Jacket had hard plastic male Velcro wrist flaps, they didn't work well, they would not hold and would come loose while riding. This let snow and cold air into your wrists, you would also catch your open jacket wrists on the handle bar ends. It could be most annoying at times. The new wrist closures are much better, they hold on solid and they don't come loose. Those are the only two noticeable differences between the original and the new 2012 Helium 30 Jacket.

The fit is still great, the wrist gators are nice for keeping the snow and cold air away from your wrists. I don't were large insulated gloves with long wrist covers, I wear Mechanic style gloves, short wrists, so other jackets like Klim don't do well at protecting your wrists from cold.

This Jacket does very well at blocking wind intrusion, I wore this jacket on a ride this week in -25 degs F on the Mat-Su River, I was on a Freeride with no windshield, I had to use gauntlets to keep my hands from freezing. My torso was nice and warm though, all I wore under the jacket was the BRP Thermal base layer, the BRP Technical Fleece jacket.

Yesterday I rode the deep powder North of Petersville, the snow was cold and dry, I was working hard and sweating. The pit vents and back vent do well at venting perspiration. The back vent is high enough that my pack doesn't block it like it does on other jackets. The zipper pulls are easy to grab with my gloves on.

The powder gator also works well to keep my belly warm, jackets without a powder gator let a cold draft up and freeze my belly.

I like that this jacket is water and wind proof, I also really like that it is not insulated, as I like to layer for warmth and for cooling. I can also wear this jacket for spring riding, the only thing that makes this jacket too warm in the spring when the sun is hot (May/June) is the black color. A white option would be nice.

Pics of Yesterdays ride.

Attached Images

• Right carve 1.JPG

#2 Irondog

Irondog

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts

•    

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:38 PM

Also works great for snow removal, the high collar and long tail keep you warm while blowing the snow over the 4' deep snow in the yard.

Attached Images

• Snowblower 002 (Small).jpg
  • Snowblower 004 (Small).jpg

#3 Irondog

Irondog

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts

•    

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:45 AM

Only minus 15, still compfy

Attached Images

• ME ME ME.JPG
  • no hands.JPG

#4 Irondog

Irondog

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts

•    

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:16 AM

Update: Long term testing of the jacket in all conditions, cold, rain and powder have proven this jacket is a good choice for anyone looking for a good water proof shell.

After riding all day in powder I remained dry and warm. I could were this jacket every day - accept when spring riding comes. The black will be too warm in the hot sun, a Hawaii shirt will doo though. B)

Attached Images

• Powder carve DH 3.JPG
  • Powder carve DH 2.JPG

#5 yeller

yeller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts
  • Sled:2011 TNT ACE

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:08 AM

I didn't see the 2013 summit xm on the gear tester list ...

#6 Irondog

Irondog

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts

•    

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:57 AM

I didn't see the 2013 summit xm on the gear tester list ...

LOL - that's a whole different story.............

#7 Irondog

Irondog

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts

•    

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:46 PM

Spring +40 now. Still a good jacket, although the hot spring sun on black is warm.

Attached Images

• spring.jpg

#8 sledlover

sledlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Sled:2015 600X Etec

•    

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:30 AM

How can you ride at -25F with no windshield and not be cold? Nice review.

#9 Irondog

Irondog

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts

•    

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

Good gear, and I'm conditioned to it. I'm not riding trails or across a lake either, riding powder - off trail and in the mountains takes a lot of energy, energy creates heat.

#10 Irondog

Irondog

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts

•    

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:45 AM

Review update: I initially reported that I liked the magnet zipper flap closures more then the velcro. Well I have new info that has caused me to change my opinion, the magnets interfere with both GPS, compass and avy beacon operations - all bad things to have happen.

So magnet = bad.:headbang Velcro = good.:righton

#11 Redegade

Redegade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:The ladies, sleds, trucks, craft beers, art, literature, web design, Photoshop, music, travel.
  • Sled:2011 600 H.O. Renegade E-TEC

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:56 PM

How can you ride at -25F with no windshield and not be cold? Nice review.

Lemme guess, you still wear cotton for a base layer and maybe even non-breathable outer layers?

<p>"I was stand-up riding before stand-up riding was cool."Woodstock Snowmobile Club, Mid-State Snowdrifters Snowmobile Club, Cross Country Cruisers: IASC, WSA, MSA. 2013/2014 = 1767.7

#12 Irondog

Irondog

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts

•    

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:15 PM

Nope - cotton is for summer silly.

You don't need a lot of insulation if you're active and you have good moisture wicking underwear and wind proof breathable outer layer. Just don't get caught having to sleep outside over night dressed like that.

#13 onkyo

onkyo

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 443 posts
  • Sled:2014 XMX 163

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:38 PM

Doo sent me one of them the first year and asked if i would provide feedback. I have been using all KLIM for quite some time, but after using the Helium my KLIM jacket has not left the trailer.
The feedback I provided was the fastener for the sleeve's was just awful it would clog with snow and lost its gripping quite quickly.
In addition I pointed out that the stitching on the gators for the wrists is in a location that causes irritation, a result from being where you grab the bars between the thumb and pointer finger. I purchased another of the older model last year at the end of the season. Thanks for your review.
There is no cure for STUPID!!!

#14 schmitty700X

schmitty700X

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:being balls deep in snow, Gettin Paid and Gettin Laid
  • Sled:2012 Ski-doo Freeride 137

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:56 AM

How well is it sized? I'm used to a light base layer and the heavy Xteam jacket without a liner and I swim in it. If I get the helium or other un insulated coats that will require more base layers will my normal size work or do I go up one size? Thanks

#15 Irondog

Irondog

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts

•    

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:52 AM

Your normal size will work, they are roomy. You can see how loose it fits me in the pics of me snow blowing the driveway. I've got just a t-shirt on underneath it. There's enough room to wear a sweatshirt and a polar fleece coat underneath.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users