bdschuch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Sled:2014 1200 Renegade

•    

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:15 PM

It was at my house when I returned from the dootalk get together for WI... Here it is and also a pic of my old helmet. Not much to report yet but the initial feel of this helmet compared to my HJC is much nicer. The padding seems to be very even. (or maybe it's just crooked enough to fit my mellon?!?!?) Withe the HJC, I had a lot of trouble trying to keep the shield clear. It didn't seem to matter what I wore under it, I tried the nose piece that came with it, I tried a no-fog mask nothing worked well. the other thing that is exciting is the flip down sun visor. I always tried to protect my eyes by wearing sun glasses under my helmet... what a pain.
I will update this post as I get more info... THANKS BRP and Dootalk-Craig

Attached Images

• IMG_0711.JPG
  • IMG_0712.JPG

BRING ME SNOW AND I SHALL SHOW YOU HAPPINESS!

#2 bdschuch

bdschuch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

•    

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:36 PM

I got a chance to use the helmet
I noticed only from close inspection that when I close the the front of the helmet, one of the latches on each side that keep it closed does not go into the proper latchinghole. It hits the plastic/rubber air pipe from the face mask where it gets forced to the outside and misses the latching hole. I have to depress the latch while closing the front of the helmet for it to latch properly. not a huge deal, just something to get used to. I spoke to a friend that has one and he was not aware of it but his was doing this as well. This should be listed in the directions that come withe the helmet.

Hopefully you can see by the pics below what I am talking about
pic#1 shows red latch hitting air pipe
pic#2 shows latch missing latching hole
pic#3 shows latch in latching hole

Much more to come

Attached Images

• IMG_0717.JPG
  • IMG_0719.JPG
  • IMG_0720.JPG

#3 SkiDooRacer

SkiDooRacer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Sled:XP Summit HC 800R

•    

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:01 PM

I noticed mine doing the same thing while others were trying it on. It makes me question the strength.

#4 bdschuch

bdschuch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

•    

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:04 PM

The helmet feels good on my head and the padding seems to fit evenly. the quick release chin strap works and fits very well as it has a nice soft felt like piece that lies between it and my chin.

I read on another modular 2 post about thecheek pads breaking when removed so I thought it was my duty to investigate this further so I broke mine too...the snap that holds it in was not attatched well to the cheek pad so it stayed on the shell as I removed the inner pad.

If you have or buy a modular 2 helmet, DO NOT remove the pads to clean them make sure you wear a good thick liner to help keep the helmet pads clean.
I also noticed that the date of manufacture is april 2009. I guess there has been no changes since then.

Much more to come
I did get a chance to ride with it and it is Hands down MUCH better than my HJC

Attached Images

• IMG_0722.JPG
  • IMG_0727.JPG

#5 bdschuch

bdschuch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

•    

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:59 PM

The Next installment: MASK...
The biggest problem I have ALWAYS had w/ helmets is that my shield was always fogged up...This helmet gets a GOLD metal. zero fog with this baby. the breath mask fits very well and after a few min. of having it on I didn't even notice it. it seems to be well built and is nonintrusive. I don't wear glasses but it seems like it might be a close fit if I did. The mask seals very well around my mouth and nose. I bought a BRP balaclava because it is made in such a fasion that it can be worn over the mouth or very easily fitted just below the breath mask.
The disposable felt like inserts go into the mask to soak up the moisture from your breath and seem to do a good job of it. Replacements can be found at the dealers and are not terrably expensive in a bulk pack.
as seen below, I did have an incident where the elastic that holds the mask tight to your face didn't want to stay put. it seems like this could be remidied by a simple clip on the end of the elastic. I will investigate this further to see what I can come up with for a cheap fix.
IMG_0721.JPG

I was supprsed how warm the helmet was. I thought just by design, it would be colder than my other helmet, but it is quite warm. I tried the wind blocking device that attatches to the mask. it IS intrusive to my eye sight and is very bulky around the sides. I don't think I will ever use this option. This would be something for the extreme arctic rider where the temps are sooo cold for long periods of time. In those conditions it could make a huge diffrence.IMG_0729.JPG
Again so far I LOVE this helmet despite a few little things that could be better.
More to come.....

#6 grover

grover

Fuzzy but not Blue........

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts
  • Sled:'10 1200XR TnT, '05 500ss

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:24 PM

Mine was doing the same thing with the straps, so once I got it adjusted where I wanted I just super glued the elastic ends so they wouldn't pull thru.

-Grover
Clutching: Northern Catalyst S8R8 kit (Dynamo Joe Stuff)

-LIFE

Just passin' through........

#7 bdschuch

bdschuch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

•    

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:00 PM

Another FANTASTIC feature on this helmet is the sun visor. All I can say is WOW this is such a nice feature. It retracts out of site when not in use. The lever to bring it down in front of your eyes is just right, not too bulky not too small. The tint is perfect as well. I have tried to use sunglasses under my old hjc helmet and when going in and out of wooded areas ity was a huge pain. this is definately oner of my favorite features. It can be put into place in a fraction of a second at any speed and retracted just as fast.
Great design BRP!!

I have read things where people say modular helmets are cold... this one is not. It might not be as warm as the BVS, but it's an entirely diffrent critter. I think it seals up well and the chin flap/ wind deflector is a really cool feature. It hinges from the chin bar and has magnets in it that seal up to the helmet around your neck, blocking the wind from entering the bottom of the helmet.

#8 bdschuch

bdschuch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

•    

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:08 PM

Venting... Due to the warm weather this year I was glad to have good venting in my helmet. The BRP Modular 2 has very adequate venting.
I tested the helmet w/ vents open it the morning when it was colder just to see how much air it does let in. I opened the front only and I could feel a little breeze then I opened the rear vent and seemed to get a little better flow. This was a welcome air flow as the temperature climbed throughout the day.
The front vent has a real nice beefy handle that is easy to locate on the go. The handle is made of heavy rubber so it is easy to grip as well.IMG_0752.JPG

Here you see pics of the vent open and closed. One diffrence between this vent and the vent on my hjc is that this one has a filter. The hjc with no filter will let snow powder in through it. The filter on the BRP prevents that.

Not done yet... stay tuned

Attached Images

• IMG_0751.JPG

#9 brp_for_life

brp_for_life

Batman

• DOOCrew
  • 7,242 posts
  • Interests:work hard all summer to sled all winter!
  • Sled:Got a few now. All revs

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:41 PM

Have you had problems with the buttons for the mask breaking? The replacements are like 12 dollars or something but on my helment the don't last long at all

#10 bdschuch

bdschuch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

•    

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:37 PM

Have you had problems with the buttons for the mask breaking? The replacements are like 12 dollars or something but on my helment the don't last long at all

Not yet, but I have heard of this happening. I plan to buy a spare set to keep in my pack

#11 bdschuch

bdschuch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

•    

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:19 PM

Final thoughts...
Well we had a short season here in Wisconsin. Here it is March 25th and I had to mow lawn this weekend!?!*^%
Overall I really like this helmet. There are some places where improvements could be made like most any produst.
The fit is good and it is comfortable.
The venting is good and was needed this season.
The tinted sun visor is WONDERFUL. this is surely one of my favorite features.
The face mask is OUTSTANDING, as I mentioned at the beginning of my review, I always suffered from foggy face. My face shall be foggy NO MORE!! the mask fits well and works like a charm. I did buy a spare set of snap hinges for the mask as I have heard of people having trouble with them breaking. they were about $10 at my dealer.IMG_0802.JPG

I'll just add them to the other "just incase" items in my pack. One thing I will suggest is to change up the snap that you use... meaning that by human nature we tend to do things the same way each time, if you are right handed you will likely unsnap the right side of your mask EVERY time. So the right snap will break, you will buy a PAIR of new snaps and have a left snap left over. If you do this for a long period of time, you will have a big pile of left snaps. So if you can switch off snaps once in a while it will be more economical.

I would recomend this helmet to anyone, just be aware of how you use it. Like holding in the release buttons while you lower the face shield/chin bar so that the latches align and catch.

#12 namyaks

namyaks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Firefighter, paramedic, search & rescue, hunting, camping, restoring the odd sled, and hardcore sledding with my wife!
  • Sled:2013Renx600,2012Ren600,2-71Caribou's

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:01 PM

I've had a mod 2 for a few years. The perfect helmet for no fog and good tinted shade. A yellow option on tint would be nice. As for the snaps they do break often, the elastic very seldom stays done up on the mask. The helmet locks do hit the mask hoses and the colder it gets the locks only hook on one side. When this happens you get a bad draft up the side of the face and sometimes frostbite. The helmet is the right size. In the cold if you stop for any length of time with the helmet open, you have to put the mask inside your coat to keep it warm so you can hook it up easy. R&D could do a little more on this. I would only give the helmet a 6 out of 10 rating.

#13 GSX SE 800

GSX SE 800

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Sled:2012 Ski Doo GSX SE 800 E TEC

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:21 PM

I've had a mod 2 for a few years. The perfect helmet for no fog and good tinted shade. A yellow option on tint would be nice. As for the snaps they do break often, the elastic very seldom stays done up on the mask. The helmet locks do hit the mask hoses and the colder it gets the locks only hook on one side. When this happens you get a bad draft up the side of the face and sometimes frostbite. The helmet is the right size. In the cold if you stop for any length of time with the helmet open, you have to put the mask inside your coat to keep it warm so you can hook it up easy. R&D could do a little more on this. I would only give the helmet a 6 out of 10 rating.

I have this helmet and installed the yellow visor. Ski Doo Part # ( 44597110 ) $59.99. I like it better than the smoked visor.

#14 bdschuch

bdschuch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

•    

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:32 PM

I have this helmet and installed the yellow visor. Ski Doo Part # ( 44597110 ) $59.99. I like it better than the smoked visor.

I can see where that would be a nice upgrade :righton

#15 GSX SE 800

GSX SE 800

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Sled:2012 Ski Doo GSX SE 800 E TEC

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:49 PM

I can see where that would be a nice upgrade :righton

I like it a lot better with the yellow, I leave it down during the day 95% of the time. Also great write up, thanks ! As a side note I have the electric shield on mine and did not have to plug it in on -30 degree days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users