Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Snowmobiling
  • Sled:2008 mxzx 600; 2011 summit x 800 etec

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:26 PM

Looking for some input.

I am leaving for Tog W/ Moms motor sports at the end of march. I would like a jacket that will have a removalbe liner so I can wear it around Northern Wisconsin all season. Not to worried on the insulation as I have no problem layering up.

I need new pants, and just want to upgrade my jacket. Any suggestions ect. will be helpful I need to get this stuff ordered before my trip on March 20th
thanks

brad

2011 146 x package 800 etec: 2.5 camo extreme, Roosterbuilt clutching, RPM carbon fiber skid plate, grip n rip braces, WRP wide boards, 2013 snow flap and led tail light, 2013 summit skis and spindles.   PUTTIN TRENCHES IN THE FLATLANDS

#2 DareDog

DareDog

E-Tec Rules

• DOOCrew
  • 32444 posts
  • Sled:2010 600 Etec

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:32 PM

Klim, talk to culater on here for klim stuff

Current Fleet:
1998 Formula III 700-14,000 Miles
2004 600ho- 18,300 Miles
2005 500ss- 9,500 Miles
2010 600 HO Etec- 13,000 Miles

2016 600 HO Etec Blizzard-7,500 Miles 

2016 600 HO Etec Blizzard- 5,000 Miles

2017 600 Ace Blizzard - 1,350 Miles 

(2) 1975 245 RV 

1964 skidoo four cycle

1964 huski 

#3 Ditchdooer

Ditchdooer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Sled:?

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:42 PM

klim = less bulk. Ive had klim and fxr, fxr is great quality no doubt, and is very warm, just heavier and bulier. It half the price though

#4 koreytm

koreytm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3425 posts
  • Sled:02 MXZx 440/700, 03 600HO, 98 Mach 1

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:09 PM

You can't be "Klim Kool" in FXR...but your wallet will love the FXR and HMK, and you'll be happy with it too. Arctiva is another quality brand to check out.

#5 legends14x

legends14x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1944 posts
  • Sled:none

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:46 PM

thats just it though, At least you have the option to remove layers with klim stuff, just get your wallet out...

#6 koreytm

koreytm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3425 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 03:13 PM

thats just it though, At least you have the option to remove layers with klim stuff, just get your wallet out...

Pretty much any brand out there sells jackets with removable liners...

#7 Mike-337

Mike-337

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8887 posts
  • Interests:Short course Off-Road Racing. ATVs. Duel-Sport bike, Snowmobiling.
  • Sled:Radio Flyer

Posted 05 March 2011 - 03:26 PM

Pretty much any brand out there sells jackets with removable liners...

My Castle jacket i use for work has a removable liner, so that way, when it gets up to about 65 degrees out, i may be able to take the liner out without freezing?
The older i get, the faster i was.

#8 koreytm

koreytm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3425 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 03:33 PM

My Castle jacket i use for work has a removable liner, so that way, when it gets up to about 65 degrees out, i may be able to take the liner out without freezing?

And it cost about 1/4 the price of Klim! But like I said, you're not "Klim Kool" if you're not wearing Klim. It's like going to Jersey without a cold chain and track suit. So if care about image, buy Klim. If you just want something that works great and doesn't cost a fortune, just about anything else out there will work great! As long as it's windproof, waterproof, and has removable liners (which just about everything nowdays has/does) you'll be plenty happy with it!

#9 MXZ600NUT

MXZ600NUT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3994 posts
  • Sled:2018 900 Gade

Posted 05 March 2011 - 03:51 PM

Switched over to HMK last year and have been nothing but happy with it for all conditions here in Maine.
I actually have never had to put in the liner since I wear a tekvest. It's just too warm. Check out the action jacket.

#10 snopro440

snopro440

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Sled:99 mxz 440

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:07 PM

klim = less bulk. Ive had klim and fxr, fxr is great quality no doubt, and is very warm, just heavier and bulier. It half the price though

So true, ive looked at klim and its alot thinner then my jacket (FXR Helix) but the FXR is plenty warm, and alot cheaper so i went with that option and love it !

#11 WisDOO

WisDOO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Snowmobiling
  • Sled:2008 mxzx 600; 2011 summit x 800 etec

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:26 PM

Thanks for the replys.

currently I have my doo xps jacket without a liner and it is just too warm. I sweat easily and don't have a problem staying warm so layers when pow riding are important so i can adjust or just plain get the wet stuff off.

I don't have to purchase anything brand new it can be used or a leftover for all I care. Just want some good stuff.

Also the klim and fxr are not that far off in price. The hmk is a bit less. All three are spendy, so I want something good.

Brad

2011 146 x package 800 etec: 2.5 camo extreme, Roosterbuilt clutching, RPM carbon fiber skid plate, grip n rip braces, WRP wide boards, 2013 snow flap and led tail light, 2013 summit skis and spindles.   PUTTIN TRENCHES IN THE FLATLANDS

#12 800revxp

800revxp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1558 posts
  • Interests:Sledding, 4-wheeling, mountain biking, shooting pool.
  • Sled:mxzx800xp

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:42 PM

I've got Klim, mountain hardware, Reima, GSX. Everythng I have has served me well and was worth the price. As much as possible I buy onsale. Spring time is a good time to last years gear for less. I paid half price for my jacket, 40% off of my Reima bibs, 30% off my Klim bibs.
Ride hard, drag the broken pieces back, share lusty tales of adventure, and tell everyone, "I almost stuck the Landing".

#13 koreytm

koreytm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3425 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:43 PM

Thanks for the replys.

currently I have my doo xps jacket without a liner and it is just too warm. I sweat easily and don't have a problem staying warm so layers when pow riding are important so i can adjust or just plain get the wet stuff off.

I don't have to purchase anything brand new it can be used or a leftover for all I care. Just want some good stuff.

Also the klim and fxr are not that far off in price. The hmk is a bit less. All three are spendy, so I want something good.

Brad

I have an Arctiva pull over that I used for racing. It is basically uninsulated, it is windproof and waterproof, it has vents in the chest & armpits, and the neck can be zipped down. It's perfect for playing around off the trail or for warmer days on the trail.

It works great for 4 wheeling in the spring and fall when it gets a little cooler too!ME.JPG

#14 flatlander_summit

flatlander_summit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:Working out, Business/Finance, Reading, Music, Sledding, Sports, and Cars
  • Sled:Summit X 670 MXZ 583

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:16 PM

All 3 are great brands to check out. You should be able to find some good buys now toward the end of the season. Snowday on snowest sells HMK a lot cheaper than you will find anywhere else. Another brand that you'll want to check out is motorfist. I have Klim pants, boots, and gloves, but a FXR coat and like them all. One of the guys I go west with ordered the new Motorfist stuff and he likes it better than Klim.

The most important thing about out west is having waterproof gear. If your gear isn't waterproof you're going to be miserable. Also make sure you have an extra pair of gloves in your pack, you'll need them for the ride back at night.
12 Pro Assault 155
08 Summit X 800r 154 "crank eater"
07 IQR 440
99 Summit x 670
98 Mxz 583

#15 dpach

dpach

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Sled:15 XF8000LXR (mine), 15 XF6000LXR (hers)

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:19 PM

I have FXR complete outfit from gloves to jacket to pants. Love the stuff. It is a little heavier in weight, but I found that I couldn't find a Klim jacket that fit me properly. I have very wide shoulders (ate too much steak and tossed too many bales around as a kid I guess), and I couldn't get a Klim that fit the shoulders without being 5 inches too long in the sleeves.

I recommed trying them on, which may be the determining factor. I doubt you could go wrong with any of the upper brands like Klim or FXR. Just one word of advice, if you ride lakes, check out a floater suit; yeah, extra money but we've had a half dozen guys go through in February where I live and there is a difference in the suits.

Good Luck. Ride Hard!! Ride Safe!! (probably next year now). :angry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users