118 replies to this topic

#46 02summit800

02summit800

Advanced......dat's how ah roll.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:23 PM

when you want to do the bars PM me. I took my 01 mxzx 440 and swapped out the stearing stem, post, linkages with a 04 polaris proxr. It moved the bars about 8 inches foward, 6 inches up. Works great for boondocking / off trail and makes it a whole different sled.

8 inches forward? The post would come through my hood then!
"Ever take it off any sweet jumps?"............Napolian Dynamite

#47 tatalover78(2)

tatalover78(2)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Sled:none

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:16 AM

yup. thus the need for an aftermarket hood. The steering post basically comes through the hood where the normal highbeam/oil light is on a stock hood

#48 02summit800

02summit800

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:34 PM

yup. thus the need for an aftermarket hood. The steering post basically comes through the hood where the normal highbeam/oil light is on a stock hood

I, and I'm sure many others, would love to see pictures of this setup. This is a thread for ideas on modernizing the zx, not a build thread for my sled. The more info the better.

#49 gdbrett

gdbrett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Sled:1995 Formula Z 583

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:12 PM

when you want to do the bars PM me. I took my 01 mxzx 440 and swapped out the stearing stem, post, linkages with a 04 polaris proxr. It moved the bars about 8 inches foward, 6 inches up. Works great for boondocking / off trail and makes it a whole different sled.

Need to see the pics. Sounds like a great idea.

#50 northshoremb

northshoremb

DOOCREW

• DOOCrew
  • 1,177 posts
  • Sled:2010 Backcountry X 800r

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:27 PM

Funny that you have done this cause I was already drawing up some specs for the exact same idea. I bought a Rev rear support frame the one that the steering column attatches to and was going to make it run right about where you stated right between speedo and tach. I already have the seat 4" taller and going to also move tank forward as well and take out foot rests and have flat surface for feet. Also move the left and right side plastics where knees are and pull cord are forward as well and re-route pull start near steering column like the 600RR.

2010 BCX 800r-ktek'd 
RKTEK 800 Drop in kit and Head
Dynoport Y-pipe and Trail can
Boyesen Rage Cages
Engine Tech Billet Tstat Housing
Evans Waterless Coolant
Doodoctor Floating QRS
Dynamo Joes Clutch kit
21/49 gearing
Straightline Clutch tower brace
Racewerx Full front bumper/skidplate/brace
RAS2 36" front suspension
Fox EVOL-R Front shocks
Skinz Airframes XM runningboards
2014 Summit-X XM seat
137x16x2.313" Camoplast track
Freeride Un-coupled Rail mod
White C&A pro MTX skis

#51 02summit800

02summit800

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:13 AM

Got a big storm Friday, so I got in 3 god days of riding on the new seat. Because we got so much snow, everyone was out and the trails were whooped. I have bad knees, and a few hours of riding used to kill them for the whole week after the ride. Well, after 3 days of riding my knees feel great! Amazing what 4 inches of seat heigth can do. I need to get those bars moved forward though to get the full effect. I also switched from the mountain skis to the new Ski-Doo snowcross skis, they are awesome. I need to raise the front skid shock up a notch or 2 because it is hard to turn the bars they dig in so well.

#52 02summit800

02summit800

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:26 PM

Well, as I said before, I hated the black inserts on the side, so I redid it without anything on the sides. I like it better, but I am going to add those aluminum inserts later.

Attached Files

#53 chuckles

chuckles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Sled:2000 Skidoo Summit 600

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:20 PM

Big progress today. I was able to staple the cover on using my regular custruction stapler. It was tough though. About 1 of 5 actually sunk in, and even when it did, it didn't sink all the way down, I needed to finish them off with a small hammer. It was tedious and took forever, but I succeded in doing it myself without having to go to an upholsterer. I learned that it was easier to staple like 10 in a row, then pull out the ones that didn't go, then put in another line. Wasted a lot of staples, but they are cheaper than having it done somewhere. The hardest part was up front wrapping the material around the curved part of the zx seat frame. I got it done without any wrinkles though.

Anyway, today I finished the functionality side of it, from now on it's just making it pretty and getting the led taillight on. When I got the cover on and the seat mounted, I went for a test ride. Wow.........wow. Awesome. I instantly noticed that my natural seating position was totaly different. To feel stable with the old seat I had to cram my legs under my body way back on the running boards. Now, because I am sitting much higher and more forward, the natural place my feet fell was up in the stirups! I NEVER rode like that before. I used to ride about 50/50 sitting down and standing up, now it's more like 80% sitting down, and when I do have to stand up, it's MUCH easier to pop up into the standing position. With the old seat, it was like I had to haul by body up out of the seat. That helps with fatigue too. The rev seat also seems easier to quick lean left/right/left/right when hauling butt through the tight woods trails we have here.

There's one thing I did notice though, because I was sitting farther forward, my arms were kind of cramped. And when I turned, I had a vunerable feeling because the end of the handlebar was close to my ribs. But, this isn't really bad news. Actually good news. This proves that I am sitting farther forward naturally, and when I move the handlebars up an inch or so, it will be perfect.

Here's a pic of it, as I said, I still have the trim work to do, but you can get a feel for how it will look. The shorter seat also makes my longtrack look LOOOOOONG which is cool.

When you say you used a normal construstion stapler.. Can you describe it more? Im about to do this and putting the cover back on is the only thing i'm not sure on. Could you take a picture of the stapler? Also, how big were the staples you used?

#54 02summit800

02summit800

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:48 AM

One of these generic ones is all I used.

Attached Files

#55 02summit800

02summit800

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:09 AM

And I tried 2 different kinds of staples, both 1/4" deep. The flat ones did not work, the pointed ones did. They were like this.

Attached Files

#56 yellow_mxz600

yellow_mxz600

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Sled:2001 MXZ 600

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:41 PM

looks good without the inserts actually. cant wait to see what you come up with for behind the seat. now, is that just a regular rev seat with out the plastic trunk piece in the rear?
2001 MXZ 600
Powermadd 2" riser; Powermadd pivot; Powermadd handguards; Cobra red chrome windshield; Yellow headlight thong; Red painted grills; Custom Can

#57 02summit800

02summit800

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:21 PM

looks good without the inserts actually. cant wait to see what you come up with for behind the seat. now, is that just a regular rev seat with out the plastic trunk piece in the rear?

You know, the more I look at it, the more I like it plain too. May just end up staying that way. Yes, it's just a regular rev seat minus the plastic trunk.

#58 02summit800

02summit800

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:26 PM

Started building the rear filler piece. Here it is just sitting in place.

Attached Files

#59 02summit800

02summit800

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:29 PM

I'm going to put the led taillight dead center in the middle, it'll look good. I am looking for something to trim the top edge, like fender bead or something. As soon as those 2 things are done, I will deem the seat done and move onto the handlebar relocation. The seat didn't turn out 100% perfect by any means, but it does what I want it to do, doesn't look TERRIBLE, and I did it completely myself.

Attached Files

#60 rotexPOWER

rotexPOWER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Anything that burns premium!
  • Sled:76 rv 340, 06 550x

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:43 PM

I'm going to put the led taillight dead center in the middle, it'll look good. I am looking for something to trim the top edge, like fender bead or something. As soon as those 2 things are done, I will deem the seat done and move onto the handlebar relocation. The seat didn't turn out 100% perfect by any means, but it does what I want it to do, doesn't look TERRIBLE, and I did it completely myself.

any update on your build?? i would love to see how that spacer works out!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users