#31 SkiDozer

SkiDozer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Sled: '08 Tundra LT

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:23 PM

The cases identified were well within the break in phase, when one is recommended to avoid full throttle for any length and vary the throttle as much as possible (which facilitates cooling in a carbuerated 2 stroke) If this recommendation was being followed than it was one of 2 things IMO:
1. Oil pump failure
2. large cracks in the carb boots.

We've had some discussion here before about the apparently excessive cracking in carb boots on the 550s. Could be that, I suppose. My money is on an oil pump maladjusment/ failure, though.

Sorry for your pain.

Dozer

#32 Frostbit

Frostbit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Sled:2012 GT Sport ACE

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:10 AM

Can't be carb boots, these sleds are brand new out of the box. Oil pump failure is a long-shot, again, brand new.

All happened at slow speeds/partial throttle. My hunch is still mid-range lean condition, pointing right at carb needle jet/needle/pilot jet.

I've seen it many times, on all manufactured sleds. The light bulb going off is it's a brand new sled configuration....same basic motor, but some carb jetting changes appeared to have been implemented.

Some guys are claiming there is a factory service bulletin pertaining to needle adjustments, others claim not so, both stating information from their dealers. There's discrepency right there, so its hard to comment on what BRP is doing.

I might hope someone versed in a Ski-Doo dealership (mechanic), will come on here and lay down the particulars pertaining to the new Tundra. Either that or someone here who's real good friend meets the above criteria will get scoop. Some sleds are going down, others are running fine. That tells me they are jetted on a fine edge, and the difference between go and blow boils down to temperature/altitude/where they are located along with where the throttle lever is at the time.

Course, I'm just taking educated guesses, and until BRP comes up with something that makes sense, we all are.

#33 eric1975

eric1975

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Sled:2010 ski doo tundra sport

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:53 PM

just called my dealer to see if my sled is ready and guess what he told me ? the cylinder is on back order, i wonder why, what a f@#^ing joke. i think the dealer should have to supply me with a sled to use until mine is fixed what do you think?? ski doo has to know there is something wrong this there 550 motor and you would think they would have the b@lls to let it out and the fix the problem

#34 toguetaker

toguetaker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Sled:2005 expedition 550f

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:15 PM

Once again what is the major difference that ski doo has done to bring so much bad press to this bullet proof motor?

#35 Carolla

Carolla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:31 PM

Once again what is the major difference that ski doo has done to bring so much bad press to this bullet proof motor?

Smaller carbs, different jetting, different pipe, different air box, and attempting to run it as lean as possible to get the best EPA rating they can. Other than those things, it's exactly the same as before. :dance:
<_<

#36 swetad

swetad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:snowmobile<br />fishing<br />movies<br />pc<br />electronics<br />workoholic
  • Sled:tundra 550LT 2010

Posted 23 January 2010 - 03:06 PM

just called my dealer to see if my sled is ready and guess what he told me ? the cylinder is on back order, i wonder why, what a f@#^ing joke. i think the dealer should have to supply me with a sled to use until mine is fixed what do you think?? ski doo has to know there is something wrong this there 550 motor and you would think they would have the b@lls to let it out and the fix the problem

Hi all with 2010 Tundra 550LT

maybe we should compare serial numbers of our machines and see if
we can see a connection on them with error ?

I got a new machine so i cant provide with my old serial number.

but as i posted , my fan went broken and then it got overheated, it didnt damage engine .
but i got a new machine because it was just some days old.

i have my doubts about fuel tank, and i dont think it can fit 40litres/10 gallon.
any one with good ideas about that ?

regards to all new Tundra owners from a snowy Sweden :=)

#37 TundraManDan

TundraManDan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
  • Sled:Tundras 06 144x16x2.3 & 94 151x15x1.25

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:37 AM

Hi,

I have been in contact with a dealer who could give me the service bulletin info. based on VIN number. What would be good is to have an early VIN # (one where the motor failed) and a late VIN # (where the motor has not failed).

Dan

#38 eric1975

eric1975

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 03:02 PM

just burned down my 2010 ski doo tundra sport 550 with just 41 miles on it, not happy i sure hope ski doo it looking into this, there looks like alot of 550 motors are burning down with very low miles

UPDATE PUT A NEW CYLINDER AND PISTON ON THE PTO SIDE RODE 31 MILES AND MOTOR BURNED DOWN AGAIN WHAT SHOULD I DO ? WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS ?

#39 eric1975

eric1975

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:40 PM

just talked to the dealer and they are going to put different size main jets in the carbs the pto side has a 190 in it and they are going up to a 220 and only 1 size up on the other side

#40 Carolla

Carolla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:02 PM

just talked to the dealer and they are going to put different size main jets in the carbs the pto side has a 190 in it and they are going up to a 220 and only 1 size up on the other side

If they haven't done the needle change and verified the oil pump is set correctly and actually working, then CHANGE DEALERS ! <_<

#41 Frostbit

Frostbit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:21 AM

3rd time: It isn't burning down due to too small of main jets.

If that's all they do, and you drive it as you did, $10 says you're back here in a week....unhappy.

#42 Carolla

Carolla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:00 AM

3rd time: It isn't burning down due to too small of main jets.

If that's all they do, and you drive it as you did, $10 says you're back here in a week....unhappy.

X 2 !!

#43 TundraManDan

TundraManDan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
  • Sled:Tundras 06 144x16x2.3 & 94 151x15x1.25

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:51 AM

You have to wonder if all dealers are aware that this problem seems to be bigger than just one machine and if they talk to BRP tech support. I called BRP when I was having the clutch trouble and they told me that they only discussed those matters with dealers. But are all dealers talking to BRP to find the common problem/answer or just going it on their own?

#44 Frostbit

Frostbit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:30 PM

Is there ANY way one of you here with one of these sleds has a good relationship with your dealer, who would give you a copy of any such bulletin pertaining to the 2010 Tundra so that it could be posted here?

Further, a good enough relationship that they would be willing to come on here and post their comments?

I don't believe any competent,concerned dealer is sworn to any secrecy with BRP, and posting their own beliefs and concerns is simply their own.

Its so very confusing to me that some know nothing of any bulletin; they simply are repairing burned down motors with no adjustments, so some are coming back with the same issue again. Other dealers are stating the existence of a bulletin and are making adjustments.

As a mechanic myself, there is no way in hell I would ever send a sled back out into the field by just changing components after a serious failure without going after the CAUSE.

For those that had to bring it back after 40 miles with the same issue, shouldn't a light bulb go off in their head?

Baffling....

#45 eric1975

eric1975

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:05 PM

so the main jet change will not help this motor from burning down ? i have been at the dealer when they call tech support and ski doo says theres nothing wrong with the 550 motor, i do know that when i get it back i am buying a new yamaha phazer mtx im done with ski doo forever i bought a 2006 tundra and i have alot of problems with starting it it took like 60 pulls to start it and took it to the dealer 4 times before they fixed it,then i kept having shcktleaked i when through 4 shocks so as you can see i have not have any luck with skidoo so never again will i buy brp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users