#16 TundraManDan

TundraManDan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts
  • Sled:Tundras 06 144x16x2.3 & 94 151x15x1.25

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:47 AM

Summit X - That is great that your sport does not have problems. What elevation do you ride at?

Dan

#17 luman

luman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Sled:Tundra 300F 2006, Tundra V800 2007

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:54 PM

this is "edit for bad language", ski doo has to know there is a huge problem with this motor and they better do something about it ! what do you people think should i be ok with a rebuilt motor in my 2010 tundra or should i get a new complete motor?

I say, it was new and still on warranty, it is a proven bad batch of engines, ...ask for a new one. That's the way it should be. Now, if they only want to repair it, ask for a longer warranty. This is a totally unacceptable situation and BRP should take back all those engines and replace them with new ones AFTER they analyse the related problem and after they correct all their engines in stock. They should also issue a recall to all buyers that didn't have problem yet before it's too late. BRP seems to have a very strong resistance for issuing recalls. This is totally unacceptable.

Good luck all, hate to say that, but BRP are not learning from their lessons.

#18 Summit X 800R

Summit X 800R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Interests:2010 Tundra 550<br />2006 Summit 600 SDI<br />2008 Outlander 500XT<br />2008 Outlander 650 XT
  • Sled:Summit 600 & Tundra 550

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:10 PM

Summit X - That is great that your sport does not have problems. What elevation do you ride at?

Dan

Dan,

We are about at sea level here in Michigan, there is a hill that is a little over 1,000' in da UP eh <_<

I know all 2 strokes are a ticking time bomb, some go on forever, and other don't hit the 100 mile mark. Over the years I have seen many goofs from doo, so who knows how long my sled will hold together. I was real easy on it the first 30 miles, ice fishing, messing around, making sure to break it in right. My dealer added some gas stabilizer along with the extra oil in the first tank, and I only run premium gas in my sleds, although the owners manual says to run regular.

I would like to see how many sleds with the new '10 550 motor have had issues. One of the unfortunate things about the web is you never hear from the 1,000's of satisfied customers, but we are so quick to point out the problems. That is why I went out and beat the snot out of it last wknd. I figure if there is a problem with the motor, I want to find it somewhat close to home, and under warantee.

From what I can tell this sled thinks it's an MXZX with a longer track, and easy on the thumb! I hope it stays this way!!

I will be the first to let ya all know when she does go.
SLED X can for the 600 SDI motor, fits REV, not sure about the XP's??? Has the nipple for the probe. Wife didn't like it... $150.00 includes shipping to US address.

#19 TundraManDan

TundraManDan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts
  • Sled:Tundras 06 144x16x2.3 & 94 151x15x1.25

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:06 PM

. . . One of the unfortunate things about the web is you never hear from the 1,000's of satisfied customers, but we are so quick to point out the problems . . .

That is a very good point. However, I don't think I read about a single new 2006-2009 300F failure - seems like there would be at least one. Once you get past the break-in and like you say have been able to run it hard it would seem that you would be good for a long time. I'm anxious for BRP to announce the problem and solution if they ever do. We don't really need SWTs for work and I think that the 2010 550F Tundra LT would be perfect, but maybe next year. The 2009 LT is well liked but the 2010 design is better for powder. The very early skidoo twins, TNT 440s, etc had a history of this type of problem and is one reason I always stayed away from twins - love to ride but hate for things to break.

Dan

#20 cArl.L

cArl.L

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Sled:2011 Summit Everest Etec + 2010 TundraLT

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:00 AM

I'm in the great north (north of 55th parallel) with -40c to sometimes -70c with winds ! My 2010 tundra LT start with 3 pulls everytime ! It has now 600miles on it and no problem at all, I follow recommendations of the owner book ..... I've always did this .... always had 550F ..... never had a single breakdown !

#21 realdeal

realdeal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Interests:Beer cold ones and warm ones
  • Sled:2002 skandic 440LT & 2012 163X

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:40 PM

2010 skandic tundra 550 lt 75 miles now and still going, set the oil pump to the extreme lubrication setting this morning. wait unitll you have to remove your exhaust system wow is that fun

impressive ride rear suspension is smooth handles well and turns very sharp

only problem is the rpm gauge still refuses to operate at low rpm

#22 Frostbit

Frostbit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Sled:2012 GT Sport ACE

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:32 AM

Adding oil in excess is not going to remedy a mid-range carburation lean condition. The motor will still burn down.

#23 Normsc

Normsc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Sled:2010 tundra sport

Posted 15 January 2010 - 03:00 AM

Checked my plugs after 300 km riding in minus 20 to minus 35 celcius at approximately 2000 to 3000 feet above sea level for the last 100 km and they were blackish indicating I am running a bit rich for now. The changes to the carb as per the December bulletin are definitely making it run a bit richer during idling and low speed. Everything seems good so far. Will keep posting.

Norm

#24 realdeal

realdeal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:58 PM

Adding oil in excess is not going to remedy a mid-range carburation lean condition. The motor will still burn down.

there is a bulletin to check the oil pump setting from BRP so I tweaked while I was there. 100 miles now and still running checked plugs they are brown / black don't look very lean to me. machine is ran at sealevel

There is no dec adjust your carbs bulletin

Reluctant to dive into carb adjustments sucks that a few are having engine failures however how many have failed? doo sells thousands of these machines if only a few fail then why would the masses start fiddling with everything?

how are you so sure its a midrange lean condition? can someone post some pics of a piston from a 2010 550 burndown? could be a number of factors seems like the ones that burn down don't do it right away so one could think they survive with the premix breakin oil in the tank then die once straight fuel is added may not be the problem but it could be.

and the gauge issue seems like evryone here does not want to talk about it for some reason is my 550 the only one that wont register at idle?

#25 Summit X 800R

Summit X 800R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Interests:2010 Tundra 550<br />2006 Summit 600 SDI<br />2008 Outlander 500XT<br />2008 Outlander 650 XT
  • Sled:Summit 600 & Tundra 550

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:15 AM

"the gauge issue seems like evryone here does not want to talk about it for some reason is my 550 the only one that wont register at idle?"

realdeal, My gauge is working at all RPM's, knock on wood...
SLED X can for the 600 SDI motor, fits REV, not sure about the XP's??? Has the nipple for the probe. Wife didn't like it... $150.00 includes shipping to US address.

#26 DenaliDOO

DenaliDOO

I guess I need a slednecks sticker now

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Sled:Summit XP

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:09 PM

I have read about that tach problem before on here. But I think it was on Summits, not Tundras. Hmmmm. I may need to look back and see if I can find that one.

Ok, here we go. I found this old thread on a similar issue...

http://www.dootalk.c...mp;hl=tach idle

#27 Frostbit

Frostbit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Sled:2012 GT Sport ACE

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:14 PM

there is a bulletin to check the oil pump setting from BRP so I tweaked while I was there. 100 miles now and still running checked plugs they are brown / black don't look very lean to me. machine is ran at sealevel

There is no dec adjust your carbs bulletin

Reluctant to dive into carb adjustments sucks that a few are having engine failures however how many have failed? doo sells thousands of these machines if only a few fail then why would the masses start fiddling with everything?

how are you so sure its a midrange lean condition? can someone post some pics of a piston from a 2010 550 burndown? could be a number of factors seems like the ones that burn down don't do it right away so one could think they survive with the premix breakin oil in the tank then die once straight fuel is added may not be the problem but it could be.

and the gauge issue seems like evryone here does not want to talk about it for some reason is my 550 the only one that wont register at idle?

Its very simple to check your oil consumption to eliminate that as a cause. Fill your oil tank, fill your gas tank. When you refill, check the math and gas/oil ratio. If you're anywhere near 50:1, there is no need to add extra oil. Simple. The 550F engine has not changed in years. There is no mechanical reason for it to need more oil this year than any other in the past.

Some of us feel its a mid-range lean condition based on the facts posted. Burndowns happened at slow speeds and minor throttle openings. Too, an owner posted that BRP issued a bulletin to richen the midrange by raising the needles.

Midrange lean conditions are easy to diagnose and fix, but throwing larger main jets and/or adding more oil will not fix it.

#28 realdeal

realdeal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:52 PM

"the gauge issue seems like evryone here does not want to talk about it for some reason is my 550 the only one that wont register at idle?"

realdeal, My gauge is working at all RPM's, knock on wood...

okay thanks need to get ours back to shop to see whats goin on

#29 Carolla

Carolla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:54 PM

I was discussing the 550 issue with my dealer today and he says the exhaust pipe is different on the Tundra than the GSX and T'NT for example. Since almost all burndowns have been Tundra's, this MIGHT have something to do with it....or not. <_<
He also said again, there was a bulletin about raising the needles as well as a nut on the starter. They had one Tundra in being torn down due to seizure, otherwise a ton of GTX fans and my T'NT have all been in use without issue, even though they are slowly doing the needle change on all as a safety.

#30 giddyup454

giddyup454

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Sled:2010 Tundra Lt

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:15 PM

just burned down my 2010 ski doo tundra sport 550 with just 41 miles on it, not happy i sure hope ski doo it looking into this, there looks like alot of 550 motors are burning down with very low miles

I have 75 miles on mine and runs great, Excellent sled so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users