110 replies to this topic

#1 eric1975

eric1975

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Sled:2010 ski doo tundra sport

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:36 AM

just burned down my 2010 ski doo tundra sport 550 with just 41 miles on it, not happy i sure hope ski doo it looking into this, there looks like alot of 550 motors are burning down with very low miles

#2 TundraManDan

TundraManDan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts
  • Sled:Tundras 06 144x16x2.3 & 94 151x15x1.25

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:23 PM

Yes - BRP needs to move quick or they will destroy the sales on an otherwise great machine. At $1200 to rebuild a 550F by the dealer you would not want this to happen when off warranty. This is putting the Tundra at risk. In the meantime I doubt they are seeing many sales on the low end Tundra - a 300F in the base model would probably pick up sales. My guess is that the LT is selling best followed by the Sport, but just a guess.

To finally get a machine and then to have it fail with less than 100 miles is very much a downer. This is one of the worst type of failures because most of the new owners probably won't even get the word that there is a problem until it is too late. It does indeed look like BRP has a very serious problem as this reminds me of the XP forum the first year of that new 800. At least the Tundra does not have the clutching / belt problems in addition and something as simple as carb. settings may remedy the motor problem. I don't know if I ever heard of a 300F burning up on the first ride.

Tundra owners expect reliability as a primary benefit!

Dan

#3 tundra driver

tundra driver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Sled:tundra lt 550

Posted 10 January 2010 - 06:35 PM

I find it very hard to believe that BRP is not all over this problem. I am very glad I bought a 2009 model.
Hunt, Eat, Sleep, repeat.......

#4 eric1975

eric1975

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 06:58 PM

I find it very hard to believe that BRP is not all over this problem. I am very glad I bought a 2009 model.

i wish i still had my 07 tundra, i am now finding out that the maine warden service had alot of trouble with the 550 tundra last year with motors burning down and skidoo blaimed it on the gas with e10, so its looks like the 550 has its problems last year and was over looked once again this year, not impressed, the i was told that the 550 is made very tight i dont know what to believe, i would like to know if there is anybody that works for brp thats on this forum that could let the cat out of the bag on these 550's

#5 outdorsyguy

outdorsyguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Sled:09 tundra 550 Lt

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:17 PM

i wish i still had my 07 tundra, i am now finding out that the maine warden service had alot of trouble with the 550 tundra last year with motors burning down and skidoo blaimed it on the gas with e10, so its looks like the 550 has its problems last year and was over looked once again this year, not impressed, the i was told that the 550 is mhout a hitchade very tight i dont know what to believe, i would like to know if there is anybody that works for brp thats on this forum that could let the cat out of the bag on these 550's

i have a 2009 Lt 550, i put 2000 km on it last winter without any problems whatsoever.

terry

#6 TundraManDan

TundraManDan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:33 PM

The 09 Tundra LT at our work has run like a champ so far!

#7 DenaliDOO

DenaliDOO

I guess I need a slednecks sticker now

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Sled:Summit XP

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:58 PM

The 09 Tundra LT at our work has run like a champ so far!

Here too on the 08. Mine hasn't missed a beat in 3 seasons.

#8 glfritz

glfritz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • Sled: 08 tundra lt 06 SKANDIC 600 WT

Posted 11 January 2010 - 12:13 AM

My 08 runs great seems jetted pretty well. takes awhile to warm up but i have ran it from -40 to 36 f with no problems.

#9 ravinerat

ravinerat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • Interests:Everything to do with snow and adventure.
  • Sled:2011 Tundra 550 Sport

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:15 AM

I feel for you guys. Our season can be short enough without waiting for a rebuild. Hope they get a handle on this issue fast.

RR
2011 Skidoo Tundra 550 Sport

Be safe, Float!

#10 Bush-Troll

Bush-Troll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Sled:tundra

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:45 AM

MMM, Trying to encourage some unlucky owners off those 550F.

Look carefully around, those 550 are a pest, they are making some 10,000 and more of those machines each years, and as we see on forums, we are just reaciving new's about sadelly unlucky owners.

D'ont discourage yourself new owners because in général those 550f are bullet proof. On my side my 2010 TUN TUN is running like a little demon, And lets say that i am not smooth on it.

Hey hey owners of 550f thank you to encourage unlucky owners. They are not perfect, just like anyting on this earth.

Have a nice season and be carefull to do biseness with an honest mécanic.

And yes on this forum we have some very honest guys. <_<
Lucky one

#11 Max Mountain Guy

Max Mountain Guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Sled:2010 tundra LT

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:34 PM

MMM, Trying to encourage some unlucky owners off those 550F.

Look carefully around, those 550 are a pest, they are making some 10,000 and more of those machines each years, and as we see on forums, we are just reaciving new's about sadelly unlucky owners.

D'ont discourage yourself new owners because in général those 550f are bullet proof. On my side my 2010 TUN TUN is running like a little demon, And lets say that i am not smooth on it.

Hey hey owners of 550f thank you to encourage unlucky owners. They are not perfect, just like anyting on this earth.

Have a nice season and be carefull to do biseness with an honest mécanic.

And yes on this forum we have some very honest guys. <_<

Thanks to you !
Mine has now 600kms on it and runs great !

#12 caveman

caveman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Sled:1982 skidoo skandic

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:33 PM

my Dad bought a 2010 550 tundra about 2 months ago the motor first seized at 10miles
and the motor seized again at another 15 miles
i didnt know it was such a common problem wth the new 550 fans

#13 eric1975

eric1975

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:29 PM

this is "edit for bad language", ski doo has to know there is a huge problem with this motor and they better do something about it ! what do you people think should i be ok with a rebuilt motor in my 2010 tundra or should i get a new complete motor?

#14 TundraManDan

TundraManDan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:24 AM

this is "edit for bad language", ski doo has to know there is a huge problem with this motor and they better do something about it ! what do you people think should i be ok with a rebuilt motor in my 2010 tundra or should i get a new complete motor?

That is a tough call -- will the rebuild be as good as new -- do they just rebuild the top end or both bottom and top, are the mechanics experienced, etc. I do think that anyone who has a 2010 Tundra and it has not seized the motor yet should take a look at their plugs, talk to the dealer, think about the jetting, needle position, and break-in (short rides with cool off periods), varied speeds but no high speeds, etc. and be darn sure that it is not going to fail before they go riding much - better safe than sorry and the statistics are indicating a problem.

I still wonder if these failures are happening at low elevation since the machine comes jetted for sea level and would be richer at higher elevations. Has anyone who rides higher than 5000 feet had a failure? Or, are these failures somehow not related to jetting but a changed component or tolerance? What oil is being used for break in - synthetic, non-synthetic? This is not looking good for Tundra sales and is very sad for new owners of broken Tundra's. I really hope that this problem is resolved quickly. I would love to recommend these to people who need a great all-around work sled, but I now have to say; wait for next year to buy one.

Dan

#15 Summit X 800R

Summit X 800R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Interests:2010 Tundra 550
    2006 Summit 600 SDI
    2008 Outlander 500XT
    2008 Outlander 650 XT, '13 CRF250L.
  • Sled:Summit 600 & Tundra 550

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:08 AM

Happy to say my Sport is over the 100 mile mark. Plugs look good, actually they are rich, but with the extra oil in the tank I'm not suprised. It didn't want to iddle at first, had to blip the chock on and off, but now it is running fine.

I did have one problem w/ the electric starter not working, but an overnight in the garage fixed it. It did pull start no problem, which is a good thing! Who the heck designed the battery box??? Battery sits sideways, and you have to take off the lower black side panel to get your battery out. I actually thought of drilling a hole in the side panel to fit a screwdriver in to loosen the negative terminal, but the re-hook up would be a pain. I figured I would just take it back and make the mechanic do it, I'm not ready to start hacking up the side panels yet. I know a guy who had pictures of his '10 with the lower panels removed, and was replacing the rivets with bolts, now I know why!!! I just didn't want to drill out the rivets, but it is on my list.

I beat this little sled up this past weekend, and it only wanted more. Hope it stays that way.

Great sled, carves better than my Summit, side hills like a dream, etc. etc.

10 TUNS OF FUN
SLED X can for the 600 SDI motor, fits REV, not sure about the XP's??? Has the nipple for the probe. Wife didn't like it... $150.00 includes shipping to US address.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users