Photo

Under Armour vs Klim layers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 jack1021

jack1021

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:06 PM

Hello all. Just getting into snowmobiling and need some advice. After some research it seems layering is the best way to go as far as staying warm. I'm between Under Armour and Klim for my layering system. Is there any benifit to snowmobile specific layering systems over the U.A. Thanks for any advice. -Jack

#2 skidoochick22

skidoochick22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,530 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:09 PM

Hello all. Just getting into snowmobiling and need some advice. After some research it seems layering is the best way to go as far as staying warm. I'm between Under Armour and Klim for my layering system. Is there any benifit to snowmobile specific layering systems over the U.A. Thanks for any advice. -Jack

Welcome to dootalk newbie! :dance: And good question!

I wonder the same thing. I have Under Armour cold gear and I really like it, but I never tried Klim. I'm interested in what others have to say. <_<

pinkribbontiny-1.jpg
snowman.gifsnowman.gif

#3 Rev Kev

Rev Kev

2011 RMK PRO 155

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,134 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:10 PM

I wear both, and both Do a Fine Job of keeping you warm, as well as wicking away moisture.

#4 marc_brown98

marc_brown98

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,435 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:14 PM

both prolly do a fine job. go with the better price, IMO. I actually use the base layer stuff from bass pro shop, I think its XPS or something like that. Couldn't beat the price it was on sale, 19.95 each for mock-t and pants, black.
Work harder. Millions of people on welfare are depending on you!!
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. " -- George Orwell

#5 jack1021

jack1021

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:17 PM

Well after searching the web for the best prices it looks like I'll be going with FXR stuff. Great sale prices on there web site and from the info that i have come across on the web they sem to make good products.

#6 Ski-dOOdle

Ski-dOOdle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:34 PM

Welcome to dootalk newbie! :) And good question!

I wonder the same thing. I have Under Armour cold gear and I really like it, but I never tried Klim. I'm interested in what others have to say. :dance:

PWNT by a girl n00blet!

I am a construction worker and I ride. Both at work and play I'm in the cold a lot. Layering is the best way to go, and the wicking that Under Armor provides is a key ingredient. If you get to hot and start sweating, when you stop or cool down, that nice wet layer is what will help make you feel like you are freezing. Layering affords you the option to lose a layer or two so you don't get too hot to begin with and wicking keeps the damp off you.

You'll hear plenty of ideas and techniques, but remember..layers, and a good base layer is the key. Couple weekends ago when it was -20, I was out riding; Under Armor cold gear base, fleece pull-over with hawt turtle-neck action, hooded sweatshirt, and a race shell (which is basically a heavy windbreaker). I use a Klim windproof balaclava and a Fly helmet which is vented like mad and not really for those temps, but my testicular fortitude prevailed despite my low windshield. Lesser men would have peed their dress in such a helmet, but if cross country racers can run 500 miles in worse, surely I could do a measly 100 <_<

I was just right temp-wise other than my gloves which were too light for the temps...my bad, I hate..with a capital H8 thick gloves. We set out with the intention of just watching the ice drags and wound up going about 100 miles round trip with some pals from nearby.

Moral: get good gloves...oh yeah, and dress in layers. And don't pee yer dress if don't agree with me, these are just my random musings on the topic :dance:

#7 Nitrousman

Nitrousman

GotBoost?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:04 PM

I've only used the UA stuff which seems to work pretty good. I find it on sale on their website once in a while.
SummitSpike Quote "i run 1.75 back country ,no boost"

#8 Dan

Dan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:14 PM

I have heard that Under Armor is ridiculously overpriced compared to what else is available. I personally wear the moisture wicking base layer I found at Target for $10 each, top and bottom and it works well. I only wear my fleece PJ pants over that and then my bibs, havent been cold yet. On top I wear the base layer, then usually just a Ski Doo jersey and my jacket, if it is really cold out I will throw on my Fox sweatshirt for extra warmth.

#9 rydogggg

rydogggg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:24 PM

i wear under armor pants under my klim fleece midlayer pants and wear klim base layer shirt under my midlayer fleece, tomahawk parka and extreme bibs are my outerlayer. i stay warm and dry but do not sweat at all, worth the extra $$$$

#10 Cadillac-Ranch

Cadillac-Ranch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:42 PM

Don't laugh, last week I picked up a UA Cold Weather type shirt (Starter brand) at Wally World for $15, and it worked pretty good last weekend. UA in my opinion is overpriced.

For you WalMart bashers, back at Christmas I purchased Rebok cold weather gear at Dick's for my kids and it was very nice, not as pricey as UA.

#11 ajsxr

ajsxr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:17 PM

I've worn UA Cold gear top and bottom for the last 4yrs and have been extremely happy with it and feel it's worth every penny.

UA has a lot of different cold gear stuff...make sure you're looking at the heavy duty stuff that's made for extreme cold weather training. They also make thinner cold gear stuff that's designed for mild to cold temps and is similar to the stuff you can find in other brands. I have yet to find anything(i.e.,nike, reebok, starter, etc.) that compares to the UA base layer stuff that I wear.

#12 behindpropellers

behindpropellers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:45 PM

I second the UA stuff. Yes it is pricey, but its warm and lightweight.

Tim

#13 rev_600ho_rider

rev_600ho_rider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:51 PM

I have been wearin UA for work for the past 6 years both the pants and either the long sleeve crew or mock turtle neck and they are great. I just got the fleece mid layers for Christmas and all I can say is wow. I have never been so comfortable while riding. I now thinking of geting Klim outer gear as well.
2003 600ho Rev
1.25 w/96 Gold Diggers
Boyeseen Reeds
Shaved

2004 Chevy Avalanche
Silver Birch Metalic
Spectre CAI
Gibson Dual Cat Back
MSD Wires
CAFCNA mnpewter04

#14 thatguy

thatguy

Men praise me - Women Adore me - Children point & laugh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,432 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:58 PM

I have three brands of base layers - UnderArmor - Nike - Starter. There is a difference. Underarmor wicks moisture but at the same time helps keep your core temp in (I wear this for snowmobiling) Nike and Starter both wick moisture - but are also made of a fabric that breathes more than UA - they actually help keep you cooler (I wear these for biking and running - early spring and late fall). Go to a sporting goods store where they have all three (there are many more brands) - feel the fabric difference. True Underarmor has a thicker feel to it than the others - IMO it keeps you drier and warmer. Im not sure about Klim's base layers - never tried them.

Fire_zps4c873478.gifstairs2_zpsjoa7akvl.gif65600vr5xjwtjqp_zpslftb09te.gifADV_avatar_zpsk6g1uiuv.jpg
I DOO All my own Stunts

**** TOY BOX ****
 - SLEDLESS -

15 KTM 500 EXC
09 KTM 690 R
02 Ducati 748 
07 Cat 700 4X4 EFI
04 KFX 700

#15 800revxp

800revxp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 06:07 PM

Under armour, Klim, SCS, Patagonia, Pearl Isuzu, mountain hardware, REI house brand anything that wicks works. My gear is a combination of bicycle, mountaineering and sledding brands and I go with what ever comes up in the laundry rotation. Everything against my skin is wicking. I typically wear fleece pants and a sled or dirt bike jersey. Then I add shell bibs and my old but trusted Reihma jacket and add or remove the liner depending on temp.

Bicycle brands are slow in the winter and often cheaper. Klim is very good, but not as good as the price when you compare to other brands. Klim outerwear is the thing they sell that I'm willing to pay the price for.

I wear bicycle racing socks, year around, even at the office and especially when I ride, my mountain bike, 4-wheeler or sled.
Ride hard, drag the broken pieces back, share lusty tales of adventure, and tell everyone, "I almost stuck the Landing".