Photo

Hand and Thumb Warmer Switch Lights (update)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
72 replies to this topic

#1 REV Hooligan

REV Hooligan

Paper Boy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 05:48 PM

The lights in my hand, thumb and RER switches would light up when I first bought the TNT. Then they seem to be off and on again seemed kind of weird. Then they got to point were they didn't seem to light up anymore. Sled was built 06/07 # 00034. So I took the switch housing apart to see what the deal was. What I found was that all three bulbs were bad. I called my dealer to talk to them about getting blubs and as they found out you can't buy the bulbs from BPR. The dealers offered to replace the whole switch assemble under warranty. When they got the new switch assemble in, I took the old one down to just exchange it. Now just like some of you have found the new part didn't even have bulbs in it. So that explains some of you not having bulbs in yours. As it seems at some point they stopped lighting the switches up...I guess. Anyhow I didn't bother taking the new part as it didn't help my problem. What I did do was use the info masterofgofaster posted and ordered 5 of these bulbs: Get the bulbs for you switches here I installed the bulbs today and now the switches light up just like my '03 and '04. These parts just go right in no jerry rigging needed. If you don't have bulbs I would buy these to install on your own...I'll be surprised if they the don't work.

I guess the short version is if you want your switches to light up just order those bulbs and you should be all set. If you have any question with installing them I'll help the best I can.

I'll post some pics of the switches all lit up in a bit.

#2 newfie_sledhead

newfie_sledhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 08:50 PM

mine haven't lit up since i got it., i just assumed they weren't illuminated. mines a mxz 800x. i was trying to remember if my 800ho's were illuminated or not. thanks bro

#3 almost_hectic

almost_hectic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:16 PM

mine haven't lit up since i got it., i just assumed they weren't illuminated. mines a mxz 800x. i was trying to remember if my 800ho's were illuminated or not. thanks bro

In an older thread on guy tried and had no power to the bulb sockets?... so it may not be a simple fix... FYI

#4 800REV

800REV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:18 PM

Hooligan, How many bulbs does it take? I know you bought 5, but that doesnt tell me how many are in a set. I need to order 2 sets.
08 Renegade X 800R, Bondi Air Box, 460 mains, .020 needle shim, 20 pilots ,Dunn's Clutch Kit(JUNK), Big John Shockwave Clutch Kit, Thermostat delete, Cyberdyne Temp Gauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst

#5 nerf

nerf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:53 PM

TNT Built 09/07 Ser. 0555. Have power to sockets but no bulbs. Dealer said "Got bulleten form BRP 08 XP do not light up.I told them I have Power .They SIad" can't order just bulbs order compete 07 switch block."I think this is to Much Money.

#6 REV Hooligan

REV Hooligan

Paper Boy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:08 AM

Hooligan, How many bulbs does it take? I know you bought 5, but that doesnt tell me how many are in a set. I need to order 2 sets.

800REV, You only need 3 bulbs per sled. I bought 5 just becuase...

nerf, This will be way cheaper...it was $13 for 5 bulbs shipped to me. The '07 switch block would end up costing you about $130.

If you want your switches to light up I would give this a try. If for some reason they don't light up with the bulbs your only out a few bucks and may be able to sell the bulbs to some else on here.

#7 Big Dog D

Big Dog D

DooTalk Goldcard Holder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,875 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:26 AM

Have you tried taking one of your extra bulbs down to your local autoparts store and seeing if they have them available too? It would make it cheaper and easier if the rest of us could just go get them there and save the $10 shipping.
Often Misunderstood

#8 SkiDude67

SkiDude67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:08 AM

The lights in my hand, thumb and RER switches would light up when I first bought the TNT. Then they seem to be off and on again seemed kind of weird. Then they got to point were they didn't seem to light up anymore. Sled was built 06/07 # 00034. So I took the switch housing apart to see what the deal was. What I found was that all three bulbs were bad. I called my dealer to talk to them about getting blubs and as they found out you can't buy the bulbs from BPR. The dealers offered to replace the whole switch assemble under warranty. When they got the new switch assemble in, I took the old one down to just exchange it. Now just like some of you have found the new part didn't even have bulbs in it. So that explains some of you not having bulbs in yours. As it seems at some point they stopped lighting the switches up...I guess. Anyhow I didn't bother taking the new part as it didn't help my problem. What I did do was use the info masterofgofaster posted and ordered 5 of these bulbs: Get the bulbs for you switches here I installed the bulbs today and now the switches light up just like my '03 and '04. These parts just go right in no jerry rigging needed. If you don't have bulbs I would buy these to install on your own...I'll be surprised if they the don't work.

I guess the short version is if you want your switches to light up just order those bulbs and you should be all set. If you have any question with installing them I'll help the best I can.

Do the bulbs from this supplier come with the bases?

#9 robr1970

robr1970

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:13 AM

BRP prbably took them out for the weight savings.

#10 doo_da_iceman

doo_da_iceman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:48 AM

Is it very hard to open up the control to get to where the light bulbs install? I would really like to have them lighted up for night riding. Anyways, any kind of advice or pics would be greatly appreciated... thanks guys!!!

#11 nerf

nerf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:23 AM

Thanks on Info. Anyone tried to order in Canada? Sometines hard to get things over border.Going bto try electric suppler this week.

#12 SkiDude67

SkiDude67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:08 PM

#13 REV Hooligan

REV Hooligan

Paper Boy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:48 PM

Yes Yes and Yes

#14 PTL

PTL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:05 PM

THANKS FOR THE INFO, ALREADY PLACED MY ORDER.

PAUL

#15 REV Hooligan

REV Hooligan

Paper Boy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:09 PM

Is it very hard to open up the control to get to where the light bulbs install? I would really like to have them lighted up for night riding. Anyways, any kind of advice or pics would be greatly appreciated... thanks guys!!!

Once you have the switch block off the sled, there are 3 black torx screws holding the board in to the shell. You will as need to "pop off" the RER/Start button. It will seem like you breaking it but it does pull off. (I have had mine off at least 4 times) Getting the white board out will make it easier to change the bulbs for the Thumb warmer switch and the RER button. But the upper hand warmer switch will be a bit tricky. You will need to remove the silver torx screw on the front next to the switch. DO NOT BEND THE SWITCH ALL THE WAY OPEN TO GET AT THE BULB! Once the screw is out start trying to get he bulb out only move the the switch open as little as needed. This is a very delicate operation, if you pull the switch out to far you may break the electrical conections going back to the main board. So take your time with the handwarmer switch.

If you get into this and find youself scared or break the switch off your board, shoot me a pm and we will see what we can work out.