1 reply to this topic

#1 frodoski

frodoski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Sled:not yet...

Posted 06 June 2017 - 11:42 PM

Ok... I've searched through a few forums and found a lot of opinions... But I'd love to hear them all in one place...

I'm going to buy a Tundra for this winter. 154 track. But, what engine to choose? It'll be primarily an access sled for ski touring. Minimal towing requirements, not looking to charge hard ($$). I've sledded quite a lot for work (mostly 600 and 800 summits, and some awful Yamaha 4 strokes). I'm 140lbs. Needs to be a good reliable machine for Yukon winters - I'm kinda horrified at the concept of no pull start, but I think that's the Yamaha paranoia shining through.

My gut says 600 ACE - fuel economy, reliable motor, I like to cover some terrain without hauling a bunch of gas.

My pocket says 550f - $2k cheaper than the ACE, have to go through a lot of oil and gas to balance that out. But, seems the least reliable of the bunch. But has a pull start (is it an obsession?? should I worry??)

My dealer says - Xtreme with 600 ETEC (has one for $1500 off). Brings the price to where the ACE is.

Ideas?

Opinions?

#2 TheBearAk

TheBearAk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts
  • Sled:2015 Skidoo Renegade BC 600 etec

Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:59 PM

If you are mostly trail riding, I would not recommend the extreme.  The deep paddle track won't do very well on hard pack.

The 600 e-tec is a great in-between, although it has more power than both the 600 ACE and 550F.

Note that even if you got the 600 e-tec without a pull start, even if the battery goes dead, you can still use the rope around the clutch method and it is extremely easy to start.

That said, if you got the 600 ACE, I think you'd be happy with it.   Just get one of those battery packs and carry that with.

But, if you're determined to get pull start, I'd get the 600 etec.

550F was discontinued this last year.   600 ACE and ETECs will be a around for a while.

550F uses a lot more fuel and oil than the etec.  Difference is around 12 MPG vs 17 MPG, plus 4x the oil usage.

Something else to consider with the 600 ACE is noise.   The 600 ACE is so quiet that most of the noise you hear is track noise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users