#1 JoePit

JoePit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Sled:2016 MXZ 1200 X

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:57 PM

Anyone have any problems with cooling later on in the season.
In heavy grainy snow. I seem to overheat on lower speeds and two up riding. Outside temp between -1 C and 4 C.
Will overheat two up anything under 50mph. Single rider under 40 mph. When I say overheat, it gets almost to the point of detuning. I gather another 20 - 30 mph and everything cools back down. But there will be days where trail conditions will not permit high speeds.

Never had any issues with past machines in the same conditions. Was riding alone so itms hard to say how other machines would behave. Past 2 rides have yeilded similar results.

2016 SKI-DOO MXZ 1200 X, Ice Ripper XT, PB80

​Previous Sleds
2010 SKI-DOO MXZ 1200 X
2006 Arctic Cat T660 Turbo ST
1997 Yamaha Vmax 600 XTC
1980 Bombardier Everest 500 Fan​

#2 BarkBender

BarkBender

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Sled:2016 TnT 1200

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:19 PM

Last spring a buddy and I were in north western Quebec in the same conditions and were getting warm when we slowed down. An older couple came by putting along on a Rene 1200 about 20- 30 mph and I asked if he was heating up when they stopped and he showed me these Duraflex scratchers on the skis and said that warmer engine temps are a thing of the past for them.

Never tried them but he seemed impressed... I think ORPS sells them.

Attached Images

• Thumb.aspx.jpeg

:smile_old:

#3 snowchopper

snowchopper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  • Sled:2011 TNT 1200

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:43 PM

Royal Distributing sells them also and the spring "no tax" sale starts tomorrow. It runs from the 20th to the 30th.

Can't beat fun for a good time!

#4 Craze1cars

Craze1cars

Regular ol' run-of-the-mill Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,785 posts
  • Sled:'10 Gade Adrn 1200 '15 Gade Adrn 900ACE

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:08 AM

From your signature this is a shorty?   There is not a lot of excess cooling capacity on those machines.  So it's asking a lot to cool it down while riding low speeds, two-up, in poor conditions, and your signature indicates PB80 which means maybe it's also spinning higher than designed RPMS than Ski-Doo designed it at lower speeds (depending on PB80 setup)?

Ski-doo's 2-up and utility sleds that are expected to run lower speeds with heavier loads and in poor conditions all come from the factory with longer heat exchangers and auxiliary radiator kits to assist with this.  So I don't think your particular machine is well-suited for that type of use, without some help.  You indicate other similar sleds didn't have a problem in the past....but there is not much out there similar to a 1200...it's the biggest engine on the market, 4 stroke, and simply generates a LOT of heat compared to most other sleds.  Yet is stuck with a comparable cooling system of the other engines, because that's all that fits on a snowmobile chassis without adding yet more and more weight.

So yes scratchers, and/or add radiator kit, both would likely help a bunch for your particular machine.  If it's a shorty there isn't much you can do with the exchangers.  Gades have about 30% more cooling capacity than shorties, and cool better as a result, but that means trading out your sled.

#5 bar549

bar549

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts
  • Interests:#1 - Wife & Daughters, WKA Kart Racing, Nascar, Drag Racing, Slot Cars, Machining
  • Sled:2016 Blizzard 900 ACE

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:19 AM

Make sure in low snow conditions if riding slow, that your snow flap is almost dragging, if the snow flap sets to high it will not catch the snow to cool your sled. Also just the opposite for heavy snow conditions, if snow flap is to low, your suspension will fill up with snow and limit travel. Best all around fix is some type of scratchers, they work well. 

#6 JoePit

JoePit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Sled:2016 MXZ 1200 X

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:17 PM

From your signature this is a shorty? There is not a lot of excess cooling capacity on those machines. So it's asking a lot to cool it down while riding low speeds, two-up, in poor conditions, and your signature indicates PB80 which means maybe it's also spinning higher than designed RPMS than Ski-Doo designed it at lower speeds (depending on PB80 setup)?

Ski-doo's 2-up and utility sleds that are expected to run lower speeds with heavier loads and in poor conditions all come from the factory with longer heat exchangers and auxiliary radiator kits to assist with this. So I don't think your particular machine is well-suited for that type of use, without some help. You indicate other similar sleds didn't have a problem in the past....but there is not much out there similar to a 1200...it's the biggest engine on the market, 4 stroke, and simply generates a LOT of heat compared to most other sleds. Yet is stuck with a comparable cooling system of the other engines, because that's all that fits on a snowmobile chassis without adding yet more and more weight.

So yes scratchers, and/or add radiator kit, both would likely help a bunch for your particular machine. If it's a shorty there isn't much you can do with the exchangers. Gades have about 30% more cooling capacity than shorties, and cool better as a result, but that means trading out your sled.

Didn't have the issue with my XR 120", that's why I was asking.

Even with just me on it it's heating up quite quick, unless I speed up.

I don't realy like how the snow is deflected off the flap on the 129 skid. Swapped machines with a buddy for a few minutes to see what was happening. My flap drags on the ground (as I understand it should) and snow just slams against it, it never rides up into the rad. It's like if it's 3 or 4" farther away then it should be. Way further away then the XR.

1100 Turbos and Sidewinders don't have any issues, nor did my 660 Turbo, and all those machines have way higher underhood temps than my 1200.

Don't think I'll ever own a sled with more than a 129" skid unless I can afford 2 sleds. Gonna be honest on great snow conditions I miss my 120". I rarely drive in conditions like this, while it's a pain in the "edit for bad language", I'll drive faster over getting a longer skid.

My PB80 was turning 8100 RPM which is real close to the 8200 I was turning with the Stocker.

2016 SKI-DOO MXZ 1200 X, Ice Ripper XT, PB80

​Previous Sleds
2010 SKI-DOO MXZ 1200 X
2006 Arctic Cat T660 Turbo ST
1997 Yamaha Vmax 600 XTC
1980 Bombardier Everest 500 Fan​

#7 Craze1cars

Craze1cars

Regular ol' run-of-the-mill Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,785 posts
  • Sled:'10 Gade Adrn 1200 '15 Gade Adrn 900ACE

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:35 PM

That's cool....didn't realize it was a 129.   Honestly I have no real experience with XS except my 137" 900 Ace...especially 129 I'm not sure how their cooling is set up so I'll bow out.  Hopefully others can chime in with better experience or hopefully you can figure it out, if it's an actual problem with the machine.  I admit that doesn't sound right.  I wouldn't call 40 or 50 mph slow.  Most overheats are caused by putting at 15 to 25 mph range and not getting any spray.  40 should be fast enough to churn up cooling in most any condition except rock hard ice/no snow...so I agree with you.

Edited by Craze1cars, 20 April 2017 - 03:43 PM.

#8 Bowana

Bowana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,Sledding,Roughriders
  • Sled:2012 & 2011 RevXR Renegade

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:40 PM

You may have an "air in system" issue or "rad cap not sealing" as I agree that 40 mph should not cause a heating issue.

2012 Rev XR Renegade, 40 litre travel bag, accessory wiring for helmet and 12 volt for GPS. Mid Height 17 inch windshield. Temp module. Dual carbides on 6.9's. MBRP Header with full Cudney set-up. XTX 5034 belt. Monster Performance upgraded shocks. 12000 miles and counting. 2011 XR Gade (wife's) 27000 K's and counting.

#9 Emo

Emo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Sled:MXZ 700 ME

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:14 PM

Spent a couple days riding at +10 and +12C. One short track one long track. Both 09's with the hotter thermostat in them. Both flaps dragging on the ground or close. 3 to 4 bars all day. Riding 30 to 100 kmh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Emo, 20 April 2017 - 04:14 PM.

#10 Go Fast or Go Home

Go Fast or Go Home

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 4,764 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling and ATVs
    Boating
    Traveling
    Family and friends
  • Sled:12 1200 Gade---(3) 14 1200x Gades

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:40 PM

Install scratchers after you've checked your cooling system for air or your radiator cap and maybe your T-stat. 

Long track--short track--shouldn't matter 40 or 50 mph is a good speed and you should get good cooling unless on ice or very hard pack (scratchers needed)

Don~

Edited by Go Fast or Go Home, 20 April 2017 - 07:42 PM.

#11 waveraven

waveraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Sled:2017 1200 Blizzard

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:47 PM

Only 3 rides but my 17 runs a bar warmer at times and takes way longer to get back down 1 bar than my 2010. But I had no issue in as marginal as I will ride.

Edited by waveraven, 20 April 2017 - 07:47 PM.

#12 MXZ600NUT

MXZ600NUT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,722 posts
  • Sled:2014 BCX 800

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:01 PM

Last spring a buddy and I were in north western Quebec in the same conditions and were getting warm when we slowed down. An older couple came by putting along on a Rene 1200 about 20- 30 mph and I asked if he was heating up when they stopped and he showed me these Duraflex scratchers on the skis and said that warmer engine temps are a thing of the past for them.
Never tried them but he seemed impressed... I think ORPS sells them.

Those are garbage. They work for cooling but scrub do much speed and create so much drag it like driving a truck with a mind of its own! First 3 miles one completely snapped off. Got it replaced, then the other side snapped. Not the mounting bolt, but the scratcher itself. You can't drive on a trailer, over a bridge and forget about something like a road crossing with a dip in the shoulder. They catch on everything!

Doos R motion tunnel mounted scratchers is my recommendation. They drop you on an average of 20 degrees. Work very well on the 4 strokes.

#13 440x

440x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts
  • Sled:'16 1200 Renegade XRS

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:02 PM

Rode 70 miles with temps near 65F in late Feb with my 16 gade. No issues.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

#14 Fritzn' around

Fritzn' around

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • Sled:2014 Renegade X 1200

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:18 PM

My machine is a Renegade so it has a bit more cooling, but if there is very little snow, it really makes no difference. I have scratchers that mount on the bottom of the running boards & they are absolutely amazing, most times I only put one down as that is more than enough to keep things cool. This past winter we were at Wawa & had to cross a big lake that had absolutely no snow on it, & with both scratchers down it never went over 170 F 

A few draw backs to using these, is they do vibrate your feet a bit more & you can't back up with them down, you will likely damage them. But they do work amazing, small price to pay to keep your sled cool. I've had them since 2009 & some years never had them down once, but this past winter was very icy in Ontario & was a must have accessory  for the sled.

Doos R motion tunnel mounted scratchers is my recommendation. They drop you on an average of 20 degrees. Work very well on the 4 strokes.  A friend of mine has these  & they work just as good & you can reverse with them. This would be my choice now, they weren't out when I got mine.

Edited by Fritzn' around, 20 April 2017 - 08:22 PM.

#15 MXZ600NUT

MXZ600NUT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,722 posts
  • Sled:2014 BCX 800

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:30 PM

My machine is a Renegade so it has a bit more cooling, but if there is very little snow, it really makes no difference. I have scratchers that mount on the bottom of the running boards & they are absolutely amazing, most times I only put one down as that is more than enough to keep things cool. This past winter we were at Wawa & had to cross a big lake that had absolutely no snow on it, & with both scratchers down it never went over 170 F

A few draw backs to using these, is they do vibrate your feet a bit more & you can't back up with them down, you will likely damage them. But they do work amazing, small price to pay to keep your sled cool. I've had them since 2009 & some years never had them down once, but this past winter was very icy in Ontario & was a must have accessory for the sled.

Doos R motion tunnel mounted scratchers is my recommendation. They drop you on an average of 20 degrees. Work very well on the 4 strokes. A friend of mine has these & they work just as good & you can reverse with them. This would be my choice now, they weren't out when I got mine.

They work good and as you said are reversible. Need to get the ones with the replaceable tips as the shape and the mass really throw the snow where it's needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users