Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Sledding, Biking and Camping
  • Sled:2017 Summit X 850

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:53 AM

Hello

I have a 17 850x 154. Right since new I had a hard time keeping the coolant level at the proper level. When i got it i read about the air bubble in the coolant system and did the burp as mentioned on the service bulletin. When i had about 150 miles on it i did about a mile stretch on a trail when it as -30 and when i stopped to load on the trailer i noticed the orange coolant underneath. The sled has never over heated so i took it home did the burp, added coolant, let it go through a few heat cycles and got it to the the proper level. It happened a few more times throughout the winter.  The sled never overheats and you can tell that the thermostat opens and closes properly. I was thinking that the rad cap wasn't working properly and it was blowing out the overflow. I can tell the water pump is working properly when you look in the coolant bottle you can see it pumping. Anyway, i had to take my wives sled to the dealer for some repairs and i wanted to get the tie rod boots changed on mine so i took them both in and explained the issues to my dealer. He agreed that it was doing it and changed the rad cap, and thermostat as well as pressure tested the system. Can't fix the problem, it's still doing it. He talked to BRP tech department they said to pull the engine and check the "orings" head and base gasket. Checked them, no problems. BRP said to order new cylinders and change them as they have seen pourus aluminium in the past and they leak and build pressure causing the coolant to overflow. It's an oddball problem because the sled runs great but it just spits out the coolant every now and then. I can keep topping it up but c'mon who wants that on a brand new sled. We pretty much lost all our snow so its not a big deal to not have it. He also offered to give me a demo 850 or free ride in the mean time so thats great. I am also getting that new brace put in the front while the engine is out. Has anyone had any issues like this? I read about the water pump failures and I was worried but it doesn't seem to be the case..... 

Thanks,

#2 stmike

stmike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,299 posts
  • Interests:all the big boys toys
  • Sled:2014 800etec BC 2018 summit X 154

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:34 AM

On my 800 etc i can not keep the level at the line,but it will stay just around the seam fine.It has been like that ever since new.

#3 Rooneygreg

Rooneygreg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:41 AM

On my 800 etc i can not keep the level at the line,but it will stay just around the seam fine.It has been like that ever since new.

Yes my 800 was the same but this one will continue to empty out the reservoir. 

#4 163xp

163xp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Interests:Sledding Hockey Camping
  • Sled:'17 Summit X 165, '13 Summit Sport 600

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:11 AM

Ya I have the same problem. It emptys the coolant bottle about every 2-3 rides. The dealer looked it over and said everything is ok. I think it is blowing the coolant out the overflow as there is no evidence of a leak. I have heard of other machines "finding their level" but i am afraid of it running low and overheating so I keep mine topped up. I have gone through about 3 jugs of skidoo coolant. Not a big deal but is kinda disconcerting. 

#5 Rooneygreg

Rooneygreg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:47 PM

Ya I have the same problem. It emptys the coolant bottle about every 2-3 rides. The dealer looked it over and said everything is ok. I think it is blowing the coolant out the overflow as there is no evidence of a leak. I have heard of other machines "finding their level" but i am afraid of it running low and overheating so I keep mine topped up. I have gone through about 3 jugs of skidoo coolant. Not a big deal but is kinda disconcerting.

Yes that's exactly what. Mine was doing. They started a case with brp I recommend getting it repaired it shouldn't be doing it. I thought the same that it was finding its level but a buddy has the same sled we ride together he's never added coolant and it's slightly lower then the cold mark all the time. Ive actually seen mine come out the overflow. It drained out the right front shock tower.

#6 Daag44

Daag44

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 14,212 posts
  • Sled:2007 MXZ Renegade 1000 SDI

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:13 AM

The 850 owners are tackling every problem and not settling for less. I am impressed.

Here is a search that I believe you will find useful. If the problem doesn't show-up on a stand, the trick is to measure what is going on in the overflow tube while riding. Use whatever works to make it happen.

coolant balloon site:dootalk.com
https://www.google.c... rubber balloon

#7 longsled

longsled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Sled:Orange X-165 3'' & Black X-165 3''

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:45 AM

Had a similar problem with a turbo and had in my mind that the boost came in the coolant circuit, but never found anything.

This is I've found:

Remove the water bowl. Add some warmed coolant in, put it upside down and connect air pressure in it. Rise slowly the pressure and note the pressure at when the coolant start to blow out. It should be written on the cap and I think it is 15 psi.

The plasctic tank is a casting, and it could happen that the fit is not good with the cap, and when the engine warm up only a small amount of pressure can lead the coolant comes out.

From all my turbo experience, I know now that when a motor is pushing compression in the coolant circuit, there is water also coming in the cylinder and white smoke occur.

Edited by longsled, 17 March 2017 - 11:39 AM.

Or/Wh X-165 T3 & BL X-165 T3

2010 & 2011 Daytona Promax race champion

#8 Caper11

Caper11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Sled:2016 Summit X 174 Yellow

•    

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:00 PM

If your losing coolant there is only 2 places for it to go.

You any of you notice your exhaust is smokier than normal. Warped heads and cracked cyls are a issue with the 850.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
16 XMX 174, Roosterbuilt clutched, HPS can, Enzo suspension, munster killswitch and ski bushing savers.

#9 Doohotshot

Doohotshot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Sled:2014 Skidoo Summit XM 163

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:08 PM

I had a coolant issue as well. Noticed coolant leaking out back of emod. Looked it over, checked hoses and coolers for punctures, all good. Then jammed my hand down under and was just able to get s finger under the weep hole on the water pump. Wet. Off to the dealer.
Turned out a piece of thermostat let go and went into water pump puncturing the seal and lodged itself there. Sled would run at normal temp but coolant was slowly disappearing.
They pulled the engine, replaced broken stuff and it's been great since. Now I have oil leaking on the mag side rave valve, not exactly sure where but it's wet and running down to ypipe.. anyone had an oil leak from raves?

#10 djm

djm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,276 posts
  • Sled:09 700HO TNT, 11 Summit 770HO, 850 Sum X

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:52 PM

The 850 owners are tackling every problem and not settling for less. I am impressed.

Here is a search that I believe you will find useful. If the problem doesn't show-up on a stand, the trick is to measure what is going on in the overflow tube while riding. Use whatever works to make it happen.

coolant balloon site:dootalk.com
https://www.google.c... rubber balloon

When there is a coolant loss/leak; doesn't Ski-Doo specify to put a pressure checker in place of the cap on the coolant bottle and do a pressure check at least what the cap is rated for?  Thus you would be able to find the leaking coolant.. be it coming out the water pump weep hole like Doohotshot's.  Or if there was no leak, you would at least replace the pressure cap with a new one suspecting a defective pressure cap, if not the coolant bottle suspecting the mouth of the bottle is not sealing to the cap, where as it may have sealed to the pressure tester.  

#11 Daag44

Daag44

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 14,212 posts
  • Sled:2007 MXZ Renegade 1000 SDI

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:57 PM

When there is a coolant loss/leak; doesn't Ski-Doo specify to put a pressure checker in place of the cap on the coolant bottle and do a pressure check at least what the cap is rated for?  Thus you would be able to find the leaking coolant, be it coming out the water pump weep hole like Doohotshot's.  Or if there was no leak, you would at least replace the pressure cap with a new one suspecting a defective pressure cap, if not the coolant bottle suspecting the mouth of the bottle is not sealing to the cap, where as it may have sealed to the pressure tester.

They doo, but what BRP doesn't tell us is the condition when these tests can reveal a problem. For instance a problem with a leak at the base or head gasket doesn't necessarily show-up in a cold engine versus a heat soaked engine. For this reason it is important to make heat soak and running tests which are not that difficult.

Edited by Daag44, 20 March 2017 - 02:23 AM.

#12 Rooneygreg

Rooneygreg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:33 AM

My thermostat and Rad cap were the first thing to be changed. The machine is not burning coolant - no white smoke or odour - there is no leak in the engine compartment. It is defiantly blowing out the overflow hose that dumps out at the top of the shock tower. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when it does it. I am waiting to hear back from the dealer, they were changing the cylinders I will see if that helps. It would be nice to get to the bottom of the issue this season so next year I have nothing to worry about.

Thanks,

#13 pooch

pooch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:give you three guess's
  • Sled:2017 165 3"

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:11 PM

i will add to this as i have had a slow leak of coolant since new.
iv got about 650km on now and iv filled the tank twice, but could never see a leak.

well i had the y-pipe off to do the new Brace and found coolant all over the block, and around the base gasket.

but looks like it is coming from around the head area and leaking down.

iv got a nose cone and bumper to finish installing from a tree that didn't move lol. but after its back together its off to the dealer.

#14 Rooneygreg

Rooneygreg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:06 AM

Got my sled back - dealer ended up pulling the engine again and replacing the head and gaskets. It seems to be working properly now but we won't know for sure until next winter as it is winterized now. Ended up with new cylinders, new head, new coolant bottle and rad cap and 2 new thermostats. Plus the tie rod boots and new brace all for free.

Thanks,

#15 163xp

163xp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Interests:Sledding Hockey Camping
  • Sled:'17 Summit X 165, '13 Summit Sport 600

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:05 AM

Mine ended up being a rad cap. My mechanic just told me to bend the tabs on the rad cap until it was nice and tight and no problems since. Coolant hasnt moved. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 850, coolant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users