#1 SLEEPY-G RIDER

SLEEPY-G RIDER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Sled:2014 Summit 154 REV-XM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:35 PM

Short story my spare BCA 1 met its end under a tire after riding. It happens, just means I get more beverages later on. LOL. So I'm looking at upgrading from my other BCA 1 to either a 2 or newer BCA 3. I have read a lot of pros and cons to either as well as BCA 3 is more for Guides or instructors or experts. Buddy has a BCA 2 that is easy to operate and the BCA 3 seems easy as well. However none of us have used the newer version nor did anyone in our last class we took have one. I'm not an expert nor do I really want to be, but I do believe in KISS as well as practice/repitition to be good to be operational with zero to minor imperfections. So I'm here to see if anyone uses either models to assist me in my final decision. Price is not a factor especially with someone's life; however I would rather stick with BCA since everyone I ride with has the 2 or older model and if need be anyone can pick up someone else's beacon and still be able to use same which we've practiced before and throughout the season. Again thank you for any and all inputs.

James

#2 HUNT 24/7

HUNT 24/7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Sled:Yamaha Nytro MTX

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:21 PM

I upgraded from a Tracker DTS to a Tracker 3, just as easy to operate, better reviews, much more comfortable to wear as its smaller & less bulky. 

#3 YKG

YKG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Sled:2016 Tundra Xtreme

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:35 PM

I'm far from an expert here, and don't have a lot of first hand experience with the BCA beacons. I've just played around with them to practice. That being said, if you want to stick to BCA, then the Tracker 3 seems like the only way to go in my opinion.

• The Tracker DTS is only a 2 antenna and is more or less deprecated as far as I'm concerned. When doing beacon search practice, the DTS pretty much constantly under performed compared with more modern 3 antenna beacons.
  • The Tracker 2 is a 3 antenna, but won't allow the user to suppress a signal, making it a real pain in the event of a multiple burial situation. The DTS also has that limitation I think.

For what it's worth, I use a Pieps DSP Sport and I'm happy with it. It's pretty much as simple as it gets as I'm a fan of the KISS approach as well.

#4 AKDoug

AKDoug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Sled:2004 Summit 800HO, 2013 Summit X 163

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:00 AM

There is no such thing as an expert beacon. The best beacons are also easy to use. I taught a 5 yr. old how to use my Pieps for a seach AND taught him how to flag a located buried beacon and move on to the next signal.   I want the guys riding with me to have the best equipment available. I run with a Pieps DSP Pro and my friends all have that beacon or a Mammut Pulse. If anyone I ride with says that can't afford either of these two beacons I will gladly shell out the money to get them one.  In the recent class I went to, the BCA Tracker 3 did a good job as well. 

After several failures of BCA Tracker DTS's in a few avy classes/seminars I've been to, I wouldn't put one on my dog. 

#5 Surly1

Surly1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Sled:2016 Freeride

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:11 AM

Another vote for the Pieps or a Tracker 3. I have both, and actually prefer searching with the Pieps. My testing has found the Pieps has bit more range than a Tracker 3, and updates faster. Both of these things can help shave a few seconds off finding someone. I would recommend if you have the chance to try both put, that you do.

#6 mtaylor

mtaylor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Sled:08 Summit X

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:44 PM

The tracker series is an entry level transceiver.  Any modern 3 antenna in the price range (Tracker, Pieps, Ortovox Zoom, Element Barryvox, etc.) is going to be effective if you practice with it.  I personally use a Mammut Element for work as a ski patroller, with 3 antennas and an easy to use mark function it is almost cheating.

#7 SLEEPY-G RIDER

SLEEPY-G RIDER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:59 AM

Lots of great information. I appreciate everyone's input as well as real time experiences with beacons. With this I just ordered a Pieps pro and turned in my BCA 1 for a BCA 3 direct from BCA. Pieps for me and the BCA 3 for a spare. Price wise in the end the two brands were better. And I'll be pushing for the guys to upgrade as well once I practice with the new beacons and than with them as well prior to our trip north of us for AK's version of Sturgis, but with sleds. Again thank you for all inputs. Be safe.

James

#8 YKG

YKG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Sled:2016 Tundra Xtreme

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:53 PM

Lots of great information. I appreciate everyone's input as well as real time experiences with beacons. With this I just ordered a Pieps pro and turned in my BCA 1 for a BCA 3 direct from BCA. Pieps for me and the BCA 3 for a spare. Price wise in the end the two brands were better. And I'll be pushing for the guys to upgrade as well once I practice with the new beacons and than with them as well prior to our trip north of us for AK's version of Sturgis, but with sleds. Again thank you for all inputs. Be safe.

James

Awesome!

As you say, getting your friends to upgrade sounds like a wise thing to do. I'll be curious to hear what your impressions are when you have a chance to test out both new beacons.

#9 AKDoug

AKDoug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Sled:2004 Summit 800HO, 2013 Summit X 163

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:57 PM

James

Good decision. Have fun at Arctic Man. With the lack of snow and windblown hard pack, I won't be going this year. I like to whoop it up too, but I can't justify the cost if I don't get a little decent riding in.  

#10 SLEEPY-G RIDER

SLEEPY-G RIDER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:43 PM

Good decision. Have fun at Arctic Man. With the lack of snow and windblown hard pack, I won't be going this year. I like to whoop it up too, but I can't justify the cost if I don't get a little decent riding in. [/quote]

Finally got the BCA today to mess with next couple days. I can agree on the conditions and expense. But this is our first time and a year overdue for us. Didn't make last year so it's this year and our post retirement trip for us. We all retired within the last 12 months and planned it before conditions got this bad and money spent. Worse case we will travel down south for a day trip or two. Plus any day track is spinning is a good day. Lol Tango again to everyone's input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users